The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 June 2012, 05:14 AM   #1
Rex312

Watch: GMT Master
Icon20 Need Help Identifying/Finding Model

Hi everyone! New forum member here (although I frequent the forums often) with my first post.

I am currently on the market for an ultra thin dress watch and am pretty sold on getting a Patek, for obvious reasons. However, I could use some help on getting my desired model, as I have had some difficulty finding exactly what I am looking for.

Here are my criteria:
yellow gold circular case,
leather strap (black),
silver dial,
gold "slash" hour markers (preferably no minute markers),
manual wind,
ultra thin, and
NO complications.

Just a simple, classic dress watch, such as the Patek 3537 in the first picture below. Seems simple enough, right? Unfortunately no, as my last requirement is that the case diameter be no smaller than 35mm, and every Patek that seems to fit my criteria is a 33mm from the 1960s/1970s era. I have tried on several 33mm watches, and as much as I want to love them they are just too small for my tastes.

The only watch that I have found that does fit my criteria is a 35mm 3520DJ that is currently for sale online from a seller in Italy, which is the second watch pictured below. However, I am somewhat perplexed by this watch, as it appears to be a modern 3520J (which typically contains black roman numerals as opposed to the gold "slash" hour markers) but with the dial for the 5120j (which typically comes with a solid gold bracelet, and which is out of my price range). I have never seen another Patek with this dial/bracelet combination. Is this a model that Patek actually sells/sold? Or, is it possible to buy a 3520J and have the dial and hands switched by Patek?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And of course, if anyone knows of any other models that would fit my criteria that would be great too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patek 3537 - RF.jpg (19.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg calatrava_3520dj RF.jpg (19.2 KB, 85 views)
Rex312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Donhala
Banned

A picture with the back ?
Donhala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2012, 11:21 PM   #3
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I'd stay away. Every 3520 I've seen had roman numerals not markers. How about a used 2449?
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 12:52 AM   #4
Rex312

Watch: GMT Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donhala View Post
A picture with the back ?
There are no pics of the back for the 3520. A possible concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I'd stay away. Every 3520 I've seen had roman numerals not markers. How about a used 2449?
That was my gut feeling as well.

I have looked at the 2449, and this is probably the model I will end up going with. While it has the second hand, it looks like this is as close as I will get to my desired specs with a Patek for now. I wish Patek would follow Vacheron's lead and release a model like the Historique Ultra-fine 1955. That would be perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion kilyung!
Rex312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 02:18 AM   #5
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex312 View Post

I have looked at the 2449, and this is probably the model I will end up going with. While it has the second hand, it looks like this is as close as I will get to my desired specs with a Patek for now. I wish Patek would follow Vacheron's lead and release a model like the Historique Ultra-fine 1955. That would be perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion kilyung!
why not get the VC? It's a great piece.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote