The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 25 July 2012, 12:54 PM   #1
bobridley
TechXpert & 2024 Pledge Member

Preserving your valued watch with Seal Integrity

Seal integrity is an increasingly relevant vintage topic. I’ve touched on this concept with collectors in recent years because of the value of preserving dials, hands, and movements. As collectors/inheritors, our hope is that the watch will age gracefully… producing a patina that is pleasant to the eye as well a condition that will hold its own in the market place. I believe that by caring for the seal integrity can we have the greatest influence toward this desirable combination.

A watch is new only once, and over time the components will age. The aging process, however, is relative rather than constant. Now that we have been observing watches over decades, we can apply these observations to the ongoing care of vintage timepieces. With respect for the sentimental and intrinsic value of these watches, I suggest a long term approach.

The watch case itself is intended to function as a closed system; it should remain dry, lubricated, and clean – free of micro-particles and airborne contaminants. Any lack of seal integrity will allow elements of the environment into the watch. Moisture entry has a fairly predictable outcome. In addition, other elements – airborne micro-residues or toxins – have outcomes, although less predictable. Over time, such elements can cause premature aging – some of it damaging to the watch. They can affect the dial/hand conditions, as well as the condition of the movement. One could say that these elements are a “silent killer”.

Elements of the environment-----the silent killer

(see illustrations 1 & 2 below)

While current technologies enable us to restore, repair, or correct most damage to the components of a movement, case, and bracelet, we have yet to arrive at a point where dials can be restored without affecting their market value. Simply put: when a dial is blemished, there’s no point of return. The dial plate can be refinished but the original finish is gone.

Preserving the current condition of a dial for the next generation

My focus in this discussion is to suggest ways to preserve the dial and hand components, in order to care for what is both precious and valuable.

We have all seen well-preserved dials and damaged dials. Sometimes it appears that there is no apparent logical cause as to why some dials age more quickly than others; however, this apparent random outcome is not a thorough observation. When we divide vintage watches into two broad categories, one category rarely shows dial/hand degradation (these watches have aged gracefully) while the other category reveals random levels of degradation (to a point where some are a blemish to the eye). So, which category of watches seldom degrades?

(Illustration 3)

Watches which have consistently remained sealed have the desired outcome

I have personally never observed a painted watch component prematurely oxidize where the seal integrity was good. This is not to say that every mint dial was correctly maintained – some mint dials are preserved randomly even without seal integrity. Yet in a consideration of how to best preserve the current condition of one’s dial, it does seem relevant to consider that mint dials are less common. Why is this?

Most, if not all dials have been at least somewhat affected by exposure to the elements. From this point I make my recommendations regarding seal integrity. In my experience, the best way to ensure the preservation of your watch’s painted/lumed components is to maintain the correct sealing. To do otherwise exposes your prize vintage watch to a roulette wheel outcome where it is less likely to fare well.

Care for it in the short run and it will care for you in the long run

(Illustrations 4 & 5)

In discussing this matter, we’ve sidestepped the broader issue of periodic service. Owners have varying opinions about service based on experience and personal preference. To proponents of the “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” thought, I’ll say “Okay. When it’s broke the watchmaker will fix it”. That is, one will fix what can be fixed. At this stage of vintage restoration, we do not have the same level of influence over dials and hands which we have over rusted and damaged movements. So, while you are placing great faith in the durability of your Rolex movements, we urge you to please consider protecting your increasingly fragile dials.

The specifics for ensuring seal integrity vary according to the case model. There are 3-5 entry ports in most wristwatches: Crystal, Case Tube/Winding Crown, Pushers, Valve (Sea Dwellers), and the Caseback. The seals in these areas do have a certain life expectancy and need to be periodically checked and replaced when necessary.

My current recommendation would be to have the seal integrity of your vintage watch tested. Determine whether or not there is current entry, and evaluate all possible points of entry to determine the need. Then, address the “soft spots” on an as-needed basis; replace components with an eye to maintaining the market value as well as enhancing integrity until the next scheduled maintenance. This process will greatly increase the likelihood of a watch that will age with grace.

Best regards,
Bob Ridley

Bob Ridley, CW 21
Watchmakers International
2807 Blackwood Drive
Arlington, Texas 76013

817.276.1400 1.800.2502121 fax 817.275.2466
www.watchmakers.com bobridley@watchmakers.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moisture-3.jpg (64.6 KB, 1570 views)
File Type: jpg Cortebert 618.jpg (110.1 KB, 1569 views)
File Type: jpg Aged Case Back gasket.jpg (40.5 KB, 1564 views)
File Type: jpg 5512.jpg (41.6 KB, 1562 views)
File Type: jpg 6152.1 Dial.jpg (40.9 KB, 1563 views)
bobridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Thanks for the excellent advice, Mr. Ridley. Your experience and expertise is appreciated and I value your opinions and recommendations.
Old 25 July 2012, 02:48 PM   #3
bewithabob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona Meteorite
Thank you Bob!

116509 Daytona Meteorite, 116520 Daytona Black, 116710 GMTIIC, 16013 DATEJUST,
CARTIER SANTOS 100 W20090X8, IWC Big Pilot, IWC Top Gun

"Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it's not the end."
bewithabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 03:32 AM   #4
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Amen brother
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2012, 04:42 AM   #5
brian8121
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5960p+6262
Great post. Thanks Bob!
brian8121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2012, 08:18 AM   #6
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

great info thanks Bob
Old 27 July 2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Excellent illustrations that show the need for regular maintenance and care for a trouble-free watch..
Old 27 July 2012, 12:10 PM   #8
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Excellent thread.
Thank you for this awesome information!
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2012, 10:36 AM   #9
mwasheikh
"TRF" Member

So relevant and important to people who view their watches as times instruments and not just time pieces. Thanx bob
mwasheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2013, 07:45 AM   #10
ronusa
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing you knowledge.
ronusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2013, 02:06 AM   #11
enhamhale
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariners all
Bob

Fantastic info