The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 October 2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Watch: amacallit
anniversary, or not really

I see a lot of people (in the for sale forum) talking about selling the "anniversary" Sub, and label it "LV", when infact it isn't an "LV". It's just a "V".

So, is it just because its got the green bezel, they call it the anniversary, and put "LV"??

I don't know, i'd think that its almost false advertisement to say it that way (especially saying "LV"). You'd think on this forum it wouldn't last long when people call it "anniversary" and "LV" when it isn't.

Anniversary: 16610 LV

Not: 116610 V

However, what about "16610V"???

Then again maybe I'm way off.

Maybe its just that I'm ultra sensitive after Eli hitting Cruz and crushing my 'Skins... :)
Culley22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2012, 12:44 PM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
The anniversary Sub is the 16610LV

LV stands for Lunette Verde
Old 22 October 2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is only one green 16610. All cases are stamped the same 16610, just like the black one. There are some minor font and cosmetic changes since it's introduction in 2003.

The paperwork tells the build.. Either 16610LVxxxx, for Lunette Verti (green bezel), or 16610LNxxxx, Lunette Noir (black bezel)

Recent warranty cards are only showing 16610V (green), but they are identical watches..

All of the green 16610 Subs are referred to as "Anniversary Subs" for marketing..
Old 22 October 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There is only one green 16610. All cases are stamped the same 16610, just like the black one. There are some minor font and cosmetic changes since it's introduction in 2003.

The paperwork tells the build.. Either 16610LVxxxx, for Lunette Verti (green bezel), or 16610LNxxxx, Lunette Noir (black bezel)

Recent warranty cards are only showing 16610V (green), but they are identical watches..

All of the green 16610 Subs are referred to as "Anniversary Subs" for marketing..
Nice
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2012, 01:19 PM   #5
77T

With the popularity of the anniversary Sub, I wonder if Basel 2013 will bring us a 50th anniversary Cosmograph?

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Thats what I figured...damn that Eli Manning. :)

Seriously, thanks for the info.
Old 22 October 2012, 01:56 PM   #7
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
It was never actually described as an 'anniversary Sub' by Rolex in the catalogue, so I would not get too caught up in this. Several other Rolex models also use green elements to indicate that they are 50+ years old. This does not even mean continuous production (Milgauss for example)

The 16610 LV was a regular production model for 7-ish years, and now the 116610 LV is a regular production model
Old 22 October 2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
nice clarification...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
It was never actually described as an 'anniversary Sub' by Rolex in the catalogue, so I would not get too caught up in this. Several other Rolex models also use green elements to indicate that they are 50+ years old. This does not even mean continuous production (Milgauss for example)

The 16610 LV was a regular production model for 7-ish years, and now the 116610 LV is a regular production model
I have wondered about this as well....Thanks Clive and other posters for providing this information...

There, I have learned something this evening.... Time for me to log off...
Old 22 October 2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:

this interesting official rolex letter is in the for sale section at the moment.

to the OP....my warranty card states 16610lv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16610LV-19.jpg (112.4 KB, 306 views)
Old 23 October 2012, 01:11 AM   #10
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
this interesting official rolex letter is in the for sale section at the moment.

to the OP....my warranty card states 16610lv.

Yes, other Rolex models 50+ years old could be termed 'anniversary' models. For example, the Milgauss GV or even the GMT II C. The LV Sub was not marked or catalogued differently from other production models, and was not a numbered LE or SE. The press kit is a nice collectable. I suppose the Sub was always going to get a lot of attention at the 50 year point, being such an iconic and popular design. I expect that the Daytona will receive similar treatment when it hits the 50 year point. There is usually talk of rarity, limited numbers and suchlike - witness the unfounded speculation when the GV was released - which enevitably turns out to be false. ~7 years production of the 16610 LV is not long by Rolex standards, but other Subs such as the 16800 and 168000 had very short production lives being transitional models

The parallel I'm trying to draw is between the LV (or GV, etc) and specific editions such as the Fifty Fathoms 50th Anniversary, which was released in three series of 50 watches, with special packaging and accessories. Sorry if this sounds like nit-picking, but the Sub LV was - and still is - a regular production model. Collectors are entitled to analyse bezel fonts and minor dial font variations as they see fit, but this is nothing really different from other production models. Rolex have been doing this for decades
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFAnniv02.jpg (131.9 KB, 274 views)
Old 23 October 2012, 01:28 AM   #11
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, other Rolex models 50+ years old could be termed 'anniversary' models. For example, the Milgauss GV or even the GMT II C. The LV Sub was not marked or catalogued differently from other production models, and was not a numbered LE or SE. The press kit is a nice collectable. I suppose the Sub was always going to get a lot of attention at the 50 year point, being such an iconic and popular design. I expect that the Daytona will receive similar treatment when it hits the 50 year point. There is usually talk of rarity, limited numbers and suchlike - witness the unfounded speculation when the GV was released - which enevitably turns out to be false. ~7 years production of the 16610 LV is not long by Rolex standards, but other Subs such as the 16800 and 168000 had very short production lives being transitional models

The parallel I'm trying to draw is between the LV (or GV, etc) and specific editions such as the Fifty Fathoms 50th Anniversary, which was released in three series of 50 watches, with special packaging and accessories. Sorry if this sounds like nit-picking, but the Sub LV was - and still is - a regular production model. Collectors are entitled to analyse bezel fonts and minor dial font variations as they see fit, but this is nothing really different from other production models. Rolex have been doing this for decades
i like the parts in paragraph three of the offical letter where rolex describe it as both an anniversary model and a commemorative submariner.

for the OP...a pic of my warranty card which states 16610lv.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0058(1).jpg (110.5 KB, 260 views)
Old 23 October 2012, 01:39 AM   #12
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i like the parts in paragraph three of the offical letter where rolex describe it as both an anniversary model and a commemorative submariner.

for the OP...a pic of my warranty card which states 16610lv.

As Larry says, "for marketing purposes"

And this has also been used enthusiastically by sellers. I think the real interest in the 16610 LV is that it is the only 16610 with a maxi dial and green bezel insert. I've heard arguments that only the 2003 models should be termed 'anniversary' and that other years do not count (even though the case could have been made in 2001). Some people make much of the so-called 'flat 4' bezel inserts or 'oval o' dials, but to pay $$$$$$ more for such things seems somewhat questionable imho. Anyway, each to their own, and if buyers wish to pay a premium for minor production variations then they are free to do so
Old 23 October 2012, 01:47 AM   #13
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:

And this has also been used enthusiastically by sellers. I think the real interest in the 16610 LV is that it is the only 16610 with a maxi dial and green bezel insert. I've heard arguments that only the 2003 models should be termed 'anniversary' and that other years do not count (even though the case could have been made in 2001). Some people make much of the so-called 'flat 4' bezel inserts or 'oval o' dials, but to pay $$$$$$ more for such things seems somewhat questionable imho. Anyway, each to their own, and if buyers wish to pay a premium for minor production variations they they are free to do so
rolex absolutely called it the commemorative submariner for marketing purposes. the maxi dial and green bezel are the reasons i bought an anniversary model.
Old 23 October 2012, 01:53 AM   #14
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the maxi dial and green bezel are the reasons i bought an anniversary model.

The maxi dial is great, and the gloss black dial and green bezel insert make a fantastic combination

The shade of green varied a bit during the 16610 LV's production - I think the later watches had a darker shade

Although the the 116610 LV's 'green gold' dial is interesting, I prefer the contrast between a black dial and green bezel insert
Old 23 October 2012, 02:08 AM   #15
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The maxi dial is great, and the gloss black dial and green bezel insert make a fantastic combination

The shade of green varied a bit during the 16610 LV's production - I think the later watches had a darker shade

Although the the 116610 LV's 'green gold' dial is interesting, I prefer the contrast between a black dial and green bezel insert
i fitted a gold winding crown and a green datewheel to mine and with a nato strap fitted you can hardly tell that it is a rolex.
Old 23 October 2012, 08:41 AM   #16
moviefreak
"TRF" Member

More like Lunette Verte or vert or something like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
The anniversary Sub is the 16610LV

LV stands for Lunette Verde
Old 23 October 2012, 08:48 AM   #17
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i fitted a gold winding crown and a green datewheel to mine and with a nato strap fitted you can hardly tell that it is a rolex.

I thought it looked gold in your photo, but just assumed it was the lighting. Green and gold is nice combo, and the datewheel is a good idea. If I get another GMT II C I will look at getting a green datewheeel fot it
Old 23 October 2012, 04:51 PM   #18
Culley22
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the comments!!!

Like I said, I just thought seeing someone with just the "V" designation and saying "anniversary" wasn't accurate. But I guess if its the 'standard' for the green sub...then so be it.
Old 23 October 2012, 05:09 PM   #19
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:

And this has also been used enthusiastically by sellers. I think the real interest in the 16610 LV is that it is the only 16610 with a maxi dial and green bezel insert. I've heard arguments that only the 2003 models should be termed 'anniversary' and that other years do not count (even though the case could have been made in 2001). Some people make much of the so-called 'flat 4' bezel inserts or 'oval o' dials, but to pay $$$$$$ more for such things seems somewhat questionable imho. Anyway, each to their own, and if buyers wish to pay a premium for minor production variations then they are free to do so
Go on Clive say it don't spin it...

"The - L - V - is - the - 50th - Anniversary - Submariner".

Sorry if this sounds like nit-picking, but the Sub LV was - and still is - a regular production model.

Correct ME but the LV is discontinued Clive.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2012, 05:50 PM   #20
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

Sorry if this sounds like nit-picking, but the Sub LV was - and still is - a regular production model.

Personally, I don't like to see sellers spinning LVs like they are some kind of numbered rarity. Some guy spent a year or so advertising one for $11,000... c'mon...

Eddie, what I mean is that the 116610 LV carried on when the 16610 LV (or rather the 16610) was discontinued. So since 2003 there has always been a Sub LV in production

You don't often hear people describe the GMT II C or Milgauss GV as anniversary models, but they have exactly the same claim to that term

Also, you don't see the 16800 or 168000 selling for crazy money, even though they had extremely short production lives - nothing like as long as the 7 years the 16610 LV was produced for
Old 23 October 2012, 06:56 PM   #21
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

Old 23 October 2012, 07:00 PM   #22
andyboy39
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date
Great information, cheers..
andyboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote