The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 15 November 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Icon5 Ladies 38mm Speedmaster thoughts?

anyone seen or know of the new 38mm ladies speedmaster line? in particular, the grey dial/grey strap version?

the movement is the 3304. i don't know much about omega movements, so, any comments would be appreciated.

also, looks like the bezel is ceramic on this model.

thanks very much.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 12:41 AM   #2
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
I've never seen that model, but I like smaller watches. I'll checkout the omega boutique store in my area to see if they have one- yes, a dude wearing a ladies watch sounds odd, but who cares, I wear what I like...!
Old 16 November 2012, 01:33 AM   #3
ralpie

Call it whatever you like, that is the nicest mens speedy I've ever seen. I want one ASAP! With the ceramic, it is like a mini version of the two register 9300 speedy that is too large for me.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 02:03 AM   #4
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor66 View Post
I've never seen that model, but I like smaller watches. I'll checkout the omega boutique store in my area to see if they have one- yes, a dude wearing a ladies watch sounds odd, but who cares, I wear what I like...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpie View Post
Call it whatever you like, that is the nicest mens speedy I've ever seen. I want one ASAP! With the ceramic, it is like a mini version of the two register 9300 speedy that is too large for me.

agreed that it looks quite nice!

omega "thinks" it's part of its ladies collection and a woman friend of mine asked me for my thoughts on the model, but, i think anyone could pull it off.

looking forward to hearing from anyone that has seen it or knows more about the details of the watch. thanks.
Old 16 November 2012, 03:25 AM   #5
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
It does not look like a ceramic bezel to me. I do like the style though. 38mm is 2mm larger than the traditional 36mm "Men's" Rolex I'm wearing today. It has the classic 3 subdial arrangement of the Speedy Pro, the desirable 6 o'clock date window of the 3313 Co-Axial, but not the long Luminova stick markers that add diameter to the standard and Co-Ax dials. Tidy, attractive, functional.

DD OysterQuartz
Brietling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro
GTS Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 03:42 AM   #6
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i like it
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 04:10 AM   #7
ralpie

On the Omega site it is also listed under Mens Speedmasters, I guess they agree with us.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
It does not look like a ceramic bezel to me. I do like the style though. 38mm is 2mm larger than the traditional 36mm "Men's" Rolex I'm wearing today. It has the classic 3 subdial arrangement of the Speedy Pro, the desirable 6 o'clock date window of the 3313 Co-Axial, but not the long Luminova stick markers that add diameter to the standard and Co-Ax dials. Tidy, attractive, functional.

DD OysterQuartz
Brietling Aero
Omega Speedmaster Pro

I agree, from the picture it doesn't look like a ceramic, but Omega's site says it is one. They seemed to have really nailed the look in that case. I would have to see it in real life to be sure, but, from what I can tell, it looks great.
Old 16 November 2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Cru Jones

Quote:
On the Omega site it is also listed under Mens Speedmasters, I guess they agree with us.

Ha! Interesting. I guess it's a metro Speedmaster.

I think the size should work for anyone, so, it's good to see it for both. Makes you wonder, though, if things should be broken down by "men's" and "lady's" these days since the boundaries are increaingly blurred (which is a good thing IMO). It's all about what works for you and not what the label is.
Old 16 November 2012, 02:58 PM   #10
joe100

Watch: Explorer
38mm is still squarely a MEN's watch. This preoccupation with size is kinda starting to wear a bit
Old 17 November 2012, 03:09 PM   #11
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
This watch looks much better in person than these pics IMO. My wife actually tried on this exact model at an Omega Boutique last week & fell in love. The gray w/ croc strap looks awesome and without even thinking she would like it (she's definitely NOT a watch person) she fell in love. Works for me as I just found her Xmas present!

That said, I would say the 38mm definitely looks like a "larger than average" ladies watch on her wrist...but that's what she likes about it. She thinks the traditional ladies watch sizes look too feminine.

The polished pushers of the chrono stand out and ties in the other gloss parts of this watch without being over the top 'bling'...which the croc straps also helps with IMO. In the end, I'm stoked as I've been trying to get her into a nice watch and this one fits the bill for under $5K.

moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 03:13 PM   #12
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
True, but Omega also lists this as the ONLY women's Speedmaster under the "Ladies Collection". In the end, I think the 'debate' of what a women's or men's size is a silly debate as it's all a matter of proportion.

For some guys, a 38mm will look identical to a 42mm on another guy, and the same holds true for women. So just saying something like "38mm is a man's (or women's) watch" is pointless to me as it all depends on the wrist it's going on.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2012, 03:16 PM   #13
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
anyone seen or know of the new 38mm ladies speedmaster line? in particular, the grey dial/grey strap version?

the movement is the 3304. i don't know much about omega movements, so, any comments would be appreciated.

also, looks like the bezel is ceramic on this model.

thanks very much.

LOVE THIS WATCH. If it was 40 or 42mm I'd own one. LOVE IT.
Mickey® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Joet
"TRF" Member

Isn't this the same size as the reduced model that was discontinued? I think the 38mm looks better than the moon watch.
Joet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2012, 11:45 AM   #15
Marcela
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
This watch looks much better in person than these pics IMO. My wife actually tried on this exact model at an Omega Boutique last week & fell in love. The gray w/ croc strap looks awesome and without even thinking she would like it (she's definitely NOT a watch person) she fell in love. Works for me as I just found her Xmas present!

That said, I would say the 38mm definitely looks like a "larger than average" ladies watch on her wrist...but that's what she likes about it. She thinks the traditional ladies watch sizes look too feminine.

The polished pushers of the chrono stand out and ties in the other gloss parts of this watch without being over the top 'bling'...which the croc straps also helps with IMO. In the end, I'm stoked as I've been trying to get her into a nice watch and this one fits the bill for under $5K.

I was wondering if you decided to buy this particular piece, and if so, I would be very interested to hear your (your wife's) impression
Thank you
Marcela is offline   Reply With Quote