The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 30 January 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
EdChoi
"TRF" Member

I feel like I've come full circle with AP...

So for those of you who know me, I've been absent for a while from the "forums." I just felt like doing a braindump on my past year with AP watches, if you are bored without any football or golf to watch, take a minute to read.

Around this time last year, I posted a question about what would be a good first AP. Most people pointed me towards to the new 44mm ROOs, while many said go for the 15300 or the like. I quickly dismissed the 15300s, as they were, back then, to me boring.

Over the past year I've developed a strong love for AP. My complaint with watches in the past is that they were too "one dimensional." The overall look of the watch was the same regardless of what kind of lighting situations you had etc., so at the end of the day, the watch always looked the same.

At heart, I don't like consistency in that respect. I always like to tinker, like to see things change.

My first purchase into AP was the ss 44mm. It was exciting to see how the intricate finishing of the steel would change tones and pop. The ceramic bezel was more of the same, changing from dark to light in a slight change of light.

As a tinkerer, I found the most reasonable way to change the look of the watch was to change straps, and that I did.

SS44 with GPC strap.

Then inevitably, like every other tinkerer, I started to get bored.

So then I got the fc44. This thing really popped in every different lighting situation. And I went strap crazy.

Honestly, I don't know why I got rid of this one, actually I do, I'll explain later.

Then came the RG44. I wanted rose gold badly.

I owned this piece for all of 48 hours. It was gone as soon as I had it. It was just too damn heavy for me.

Then I went for the jugular. I loved the forged carbon, and wanted the ultimate one. So I got rid of all these APs and had a deal lined up for forged carbon concept. The deal was made, and no less than 5 hours after the transaction, both the seller and I had cold feet. He regretted selling it for the price he had, and frankly, it didn't feel as if I had that much money in value on my wrist. I couldn't stop thinking what I had on my wrist and no matter how much we are worth financially, it just didn't feel right. So after weeks of talking back and forth the deal was reversed.

So what to do then?

I tried to understand why I couldn't be 100% happy with the 44mm for so long. At the end of the day, it just didn't feel right on my wrist. My wrists are barely 7" and the only one that I could wear comfortably was the FC.

Also AP was a drastic departure from my normal taste in watches, or in all things that matter. I was always a fan of subtle edginess, clean with just a little bit of pop, when it comes to clothes, cars, and watches.

So I went back to wearing my ss daytona. To be honest, the watch became boring to me.

Fast forward to the end of the year, went down to Naples FL for about three weeks. Figured I would wear a beater so I went way back into time and pulled out my old rolex air king. My first rolex. A poor man's rolex, but I didn't care. I still love this thing.

I fell back in love with a simple piece. I couldn't help but think of a recent article in the NYTimes or Forbes about the collection timeline and steps of a watch collector.

Something about wearing a watch that 1) no one stared at, 2) that felt incredibly light and comfortable, and 3) whose moments were best enjoyed when I looked at it myself; that was what I wanted from a timepiece.

Also wearing a watch that was a mere 34mm at first felt so small, but over time felt fine. I had been so used to these monster cases (during that span picked up IWC 5001, Pam372, among the larger ones). After having gotten rid of all these really large watches, size because relative again.

All this time, I never cared for the royal oak line. It was too simple, too small, too bland. I told myself if I wanted an AP, I wanted something that popped, something that captured the essence of the ROO line; bold striking powerful.

It's funny, because fast forward a year, and my feelings on the two lines have completely swapped. The royal oak offshore line, is a line that I enjoyed owning, and greatly appreciate, but in a sense, it is not me.

The Royal Oak line represented something closer to my personality.

A timepiece that allowed me to constantly look back at it and enjoy looking at it, without drawing attention to myself. I think my wife said it best; when I would pull my cuff back and look at my ROOs, my wife said it always looked like I was trying to show it off, whereas when I do the same for more discrete watches, I just look like I can't see what time it is, hence the need to look again.

So yeah I was on the hunt... for a classic Royal Oak.

Something about the rotor from the previous gen 15202 was so beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I love the rotor on the 40th 15202, but this one just felt special to my eye.

So I was on the hunt for a 15202.

Now I can say I have found the one.

The CLOSEST picture that I could take that demonstrates the Beauty of this 15202.

(the reason I posted this next pic is the irony in that I wore the same shirt on the days I picked up my favorite and least favorite APs, hahaha)

It's off to AP, to address some minor necessary tweaks, and going to get a few things done to it to make it a little more unique and truer to the original ;) stay tuned. It's almost perfect, going to get a couple things done to make it my ideal AP.

So during that year, I did a total 180. Do I wish I just went down the classic Royal Oak route the first time? Not a chance, the experience of owning these various pieces was the only way I would appreciate the Royal Oak line as much as I do now. Don't get me wrong, I love Royal Oak Offshores, I just think the latest line of 44mms were not for me.

I still love AP through and through, but the 15202 is the one for me. At first I didn't quite get why people would love a watch that 1) didn't have a second hand 2)was very thin 3) used the same movement for 40 years, but now those things are what I love most about it. I love to take pictures as well, and I felt that I was able to capture the essences of the ROOs, but I love the fact that I cannot do the 15202 justice. It is truly beautiful beyond imagination.

One question that I have literally received over 40 PMs about is why I got rid of the forged carbon 44. In my haste, I moved it to make way for the concept. If I could do it all over again, I would have never gone down that road and kept the carbon. Of all the ROOs I have owned, I miss that one the most. As I'm now used to smaller watches, my next incoming will be a certain 42mm forged carbon model for when I'm feeling adventurous, on the hunt for one now to pair with my 15202.

If I have any advice to new AP owners or people looking to further love the brand, all I can say is enjoy the hunt. There is nothing like it, and all these pieces are truly special.

I think that will be all for APs. Trying to consolidate the watch collection to just a select few that represent each brand. This makes for an ideal daily wear watch for me, have my eye on certain Lange in gold, and I think I'll be all done searching for watches for quite a while.

Hope you enjoyed the read.
Old 30 January 2013, 01:05 PM   #2
tkhu888

Watch: RO/GMTIIc /PAM390
Great read...makes the wait for my 15300 more unbearable...
tkhu888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 01:10 PM   #3
snowpea
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Wow that was a long read but quite enjoyable. Some beautiful pieces you had. Congrats on finding the one for you. Sometime less is more. Congrats again!
Old 30 January 2013, 01:14 PM   #4
yonggoh

great choice on the 15202 in the end :)

it's the one I own also (but I love the 40th anni version) :)

I too tried on some ROO but they were too large for me also...
yonggoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 01:29 PM   #5
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Well written, Eddie
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Shikar
"TRF" Member

Fantastic post. I shared your journey thru your words. Thanks.

Regards.
Shikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 01:43 PM   #7
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Interesting story. I have been going back and forth on what my first AP should be. I was convinced it was the 40th Anniversary 15202. Then I was thinking a 42 mm Offshore model but I began making my way back to the 15202. Thanks for posting your story!
Old 30 January 2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Rolex Freak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/GS
Great read. Happy that you found the one. Sometimes it takes a little tinkering to find that special watch.
Rolex Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 02:09 PM   #9
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Good read, thanks for sharing! Some great references!
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Thanks for sharing this story
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 02:18 PM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
[standing]

Bravo Eddie! You've perfectly explained why I love the RO line. I look forward to seeing more of your "unique" piece!

PS: I got the Bee for exactly the reasons you mentioned. A 42mm FC/ceramic is very adventurous and multi-dimensional.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 02:46 PM   #12
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Bravo is right, Ed/Mike...

I'm headed down the same road.

My watch choices use to be all about the LE/wild this and that.. Now i'm taking the finer approach to my watch decision making.. Classic/Classy beauties.

Looking for a 202 at the moment and it's a hard find!

Can't wait to get mine though :)
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 02:49 PM   #13
jawngalt
"TRF" Member

Great read :)
jawngalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 02:59 PM   #14
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
great read!

forged carbon concept wouldve been amazing.. did u try it on first? ive always wondered how it fits compared to an offshore

a certain 42mm forged carbon = jarno trulli ?
mspeed76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 03:01 PM   #15
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Ed, I suggest you join the BEE side with a bunch of us ;)

It truly is stunning , gives you all of those dimensions in different light settings!
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 03:24 PM   #16
DK3
"TRF" Member

Great share I really enjoyed it. I had similar experiences with ROO. It was just to big. The royal oak is classic, but just wear your Airking. It seems like it is a part of you and that is most important.
DK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 03:26 PM   #17
herbalt
"TRF" Member

This was an awesome read. I'm learning tons from you guys about AP.
herbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 03:36 PM   #18
ec10020
Banned

good post. the royal oak classic goes well with your beautiful Berluti wallet, and im guessing...shoes.
ec10020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 03:53 PM   #19
Speed
"TRF" Member

Great story, watches and pics!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 03:54 PM   #20
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalt View Post
Run away!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 04:01 PM   #21
jvo300
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed your story and couldn't agree more about the fantastic Royal Oak.
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 04:03 PM   #22
EdChoi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhu888 View Post
Great read...makes the wait for my 15300 more unbearable...
Thanks, I'm sure you will enjoy it. What color dial did you go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpea View Post
Wow that was a long read but quite enjoyable. Some beautiful pieces you had. Congrats on finding the one for you. Sometime less is more. Congrats again!
Thanks, they have all been great and fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
great choice on the 15202 in the end :)

it's the one I own also (but I love the 40th anni version) :)

I too tried on some ROO but they were too large for me also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Well written, Eddie
Thanks man, I loved seeing pics of your ss44, it is a beaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikar View Post
Fantastic post. I shared your journey thru your words. Thanks.

Regards.
Flattered that the post was useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
Interesting story. I have been going back and forth on what my first AP should be. I was convinced it was the 40th Anniversary 15202. Then I was thinking a 42 mm Offshore model but I began making my way back to the 15202. Thanks for posting your story!
Either way you can't go wrong, looking forward to the incoming thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Freak View Post
Great read. Happy that you found the one. Sometimes it takes a little tinkering to find that special watch.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble15 View Post
Good read, thanks for sharing! Some great references!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
Thanks for sharing this story

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
[standing]

Bravo Eddie! You've perfectly explained why I love the RO line. I look forward to seeing more of your "unique" piece!

PS: I got the Bee for exactly the reasons you mentioned. A 42mm FC/ceramic is very adventurous and multi-dimensional.
YES Mike, seeing your AP collection and peppering you with questions was a big help, but you already know that I'll let you know once I get the work order started as to what I'm doing :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Bravo is right, Ed/Mike...

I'm headed down the same road.

My watch choices use to be all about the LE/wild this and that.. Now i'm taking the finer approach to my watch decision making.. Classic/Classy beauties.

Looking for a 202 at the moment and it's a hard find!

Can't wait to get mine though :)
Martin, agreed on all accounts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawngalt View Post
Great read :)
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspeed76 View Post
great read!

forged carbon concept wouldve been amazing.. did u try it on first? ive always wondered how it fits compared to an offshore

a certain 42mm forged carbon = jarno trulli ?
I did, and became paranoid to hell that I would damage it. Trulli? Maybe :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Ed, I suggest you join the BEE side with a bunch of us ;)

It truly is stunning , gives you all of those dimensions in different light settings!
Going to check one out on Friday, will report back, or just check my instagram, you already know LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK3 View Post
Great share I really enjoyed it. I had similar experiences with ROO. It was just to big. The royal oak is classic, but just wear your Airking. It seems like it is a part of you and that is most important.
Thanks DK, the airking just has a certain charm, but the 15202 is a joy to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbalt View Post
Glad we can be of help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec10020 View Post
good post. the royal oak classic goes well with your beautiful Berluti wallet, and im guessing...shoes.

A few years ago you used to see H2 hummers everywhere, maybe you used to drive one and so did your wife, doctor, dentist, lawyer, american corporate life was all about the H2 humvee, tucked in polo shirts, and kahkis.

then people regained their sanity and i think the ROO will go the way of those H2 hummers.
Thanks for the compliment, and yes a big fan here of Berlutis. But regarding the ROO line, let's just agree to disagree, the point of my writeup was not to dismiss any line of watches, but just share my experiences with them, you are free to start a thread with whatever you want, but if you don't mind, could you refrain from potentially inflammatory posting here? I'd appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Great story, watches and pics!
Glad you enjoyed them!
Old 30 January 2013, 04:16 PM   #23
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quite a ride.....

Well written & enjoyable and excellent photos!

Cheers
Old 30 January 2013, 06:24 PM   #24
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I love the 15202
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 07:05 PM   #25
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

what a great read. thanks. beautiful pictures, too.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Great read man.

I share your love for the FC!

Congrats on your final choice.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 07:28 PM   #27
mb23
Banned

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Great story, I enjoyed the ride with ya! The 15202 is gorgeous, Congrats!
mb23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 07:39 PM   #28
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec10020 View Post

A few years ago you used to see H2 hummers everywhere, maybe you used to drive one and so did your wife, doctor, dentist, lawyer, american corporate life was all about the H2 humvee, tucked in polo shirts, and kahkis.

then people regained their sanity and i think the ROO will go the way of those H2 hummers.
From what I've read of your posts you consistently make provocative and antagonistic comments towards other members.

As far as I can see these statements reveal personality issues that aren't providing anything worthwhile or constructive to the particular thread.

Have a set of infractions for now.

Do it again and I'll take away your right to post here.

Have a think before your next post if you care about what Ive said.

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2013, 07:41 PM   #29
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Nice thread!

I agree with you, the RO line is better for us "cursed" with tiny wrists.
Old 30 January 2013, 07:47 PM   #30
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Just a note, you mentioned that your wrist is barely 7 inches. Mine is 6.9 inches exactly, however, it seems that the 44 looks bigger on your wrist than it looks on mine. How come, same size wrist but same watches look different on them?
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote