The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 12 July 2013, 12:46 AM   #1
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

69 Red Sub

Just looking to purchase my first vintage and have seen this. The dealer looks reputable but I'm new to vintage and watch is miles away so only have the pics to go by.
What do you guys think?

http://www.dream-watches.co.uk/rolex..._examples.html
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 12:59 AM   #2
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
bracelet is not original to the watch... lugs have taken on a lot of polishing and one in particular is missing quite a bit of metal (is thinned)... price seems high to me... dial and hands look nice from what i can tell

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Dane is alright, yes. Watch is nice - case has had a lot of polishing, as already said. Crown guards (esp. one) are pretty thin/pointed. I'd pass, but it's your call, obviously. Good that it had an RSC service, although that's now 8 years ago... Depends what you are looking for and what you want to spend, really.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 03:38 AM   #4
3sheets86
"TRF" Member

Thanks men. Well I'm wanting to get into to vintage watches but as said I'm new. I want to learn but at the moment I'm finding it difficult tell when a case has been over polished and if the lugs and crown guards look right. I want to pay a fair price, I haven't got a massive budget at the moment but I'm not in any rush. I've got a modern Sub for everyday but I'd just like to pick up a few of the watches that have been on my cool list for years. I want to wear them but I would like them to be nice but useable. This isn't for me by the sound of things.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

All has been said...
Look futher for a better specimen, they are out there !
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 04:09 PM   #6
skprd13
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675-1680-16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyvm View Post
all has been said...
Look futher for a better specimen, they are out there !
x2
skprd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 05:41 PM   #7
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Is that case genuine? I'm looking at the back side of the crown guards.
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

looks good to me - what's wrong with it? Had a polish or two, for sure...
Old 15 July 2013, 06:10 PM   #9
1675-David
"TRF" Member

I'm looking for the characteristic notches as highlighted in Orchis classic 5513-1680 case thread, and I'm looking at my '71 1680 on my wrist...

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=121928
Old 15 July 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

hmmm... still looks fine to me - Dane is a pretty solid seller and has good watches. As I said, I just think it's been polished a few times.
Old 15 July 2013, 06:18 PM   #11
1675-David
"TRF" Member

your probably right, I'm a stickler for case sharpness...
Old 15 July 2013, 06:24 PM   #12
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

so am I.
Old 16 July 2013, 02:07 AM   #13
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The dial appears to be the Mark V dial which is one of the last dials used on the red Submariners therefore the dial would not be period correct for the watch.

The bracelet and bezel insert are later Rolex replacement parts which is not unusual for a watch of this age. As far as the case goes, it appears to have a proper service and polishing and I see no evidence of over polished lugs - just properly refinished lugs as they would look after a service. The crown guards might be thinner than other fat ones, but I've seen this before and I've seen it enough to believe that some left the factory with thinner crown lugs than others. Damaging the sides of the crown lugs would not be a common occurrence to cause such excessive polishing for lugs to be thinner as found on so many watches. Additionally, it wasn't that long ago when you had a hard time selling original watches that were full of scratches, marks and dings vs one that had been properly polished. The same holds true for newer watches. Try selling a four or five-year-old GMT or Submariner that has substantial scratches on the case and bracelet from years of wear to buyers looking for "like new" watches. They are a tough sell now and so were these vintage watches 30-years-ago.

The price seems rather substantial for the watch considering most serious buyers wouldn't consider the dial period correct.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2013, 02:28 AM   #14
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
i love the knowledge thats held in this forum ,,, well done guys , and pointers for the rest of us
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2013, 01:45 AM   #15
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Keep looking
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2013, 04:00 AM   #16
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The dial appears to be the Mark V dial which is one of the last dials used on the red Submariners therefore the dial would not be period correct for the watch.

The bracelet and bezel insert are later Rolex replacement parts which is not unusual for a watch of this age. As far as the case goes, it appears to have a proper service and polishing and I see no evidence of over polished lugs - just properly refinished lugs as they would look after a service. The crown guards might be thinner than other fat ones, but I've seen this before and I've seen it enough to believe that some left the factory with thinner crown lugs than others. Damaging the sides of the crown lugs would not be a common occurrence to cause such excessive polishing for lugs to be thinner as found on so many watches. Additionally, it wasn't that long ago when you had a hard time selling original watches that were full of scratches, marks and dings vs one that had been properly polished. The same holds true for newer watches. Try selling a four or five-year-old GMT or Submariner that has substantial scratches on the case and bracelet from years of wear to buyers looking for "like new" watches. They are a tough sell now and so were these vintage watches 30-years-ago.

The price seems rather substantial for the watch considering most serious buyers wouldn't consider the dial period correct.
Very true

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2013, 04:06 AM   #17
GeoGio Greece
"TRF" Member

Watch: es --> A lot !
They clearly say

"We sent the watch to Rolex UK in 2005 for a full service and to this day it still retains it sharp case edges that only Rolex UK can do!"

This means, they made it sharp like a knife, but this way you can see the pins To much over polishing !!

So, based on their declaration " It is a real pleasure to see this amazing vintage sub back!", let them keep it !

DJ WG Jubilee 16170 for wife - U series

Oyster Perpetual WG 177234 for daughter V-series
GeoGio Greece is offline   Reply With Quote