The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 August 2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
COMEX Deepsea SD

I was wondering if Rolex put out a COMEX Deepsea SD? I am an avid fan of COMEX and their remarkable history. Thanks.
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 01:06 AM   #2
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
There are COMEX SD out there, the price tag on them is very big I believe.
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 01:07 AM   #3
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
The Comex models came out late 60's early 70's and are highly sought after collector pieces now.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 01:14 AM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
The Comex models came out late 60's early 70's and are highly sought after collector pieces now.
The first watches used by Comex were just 5513 subs with the prototypes of the HEV from 1967.After several trials Rolex made special 5514 subs for Comex it was in November 1967 that A. Zilbach, a Rolex technician who had worked in close collaboration with COMEX received the Swiss patent number 492,246 for a helium escape valve,but shared with Doxa to rush it through Doxa watches with the HEV were in production first.Now This was the result of experiments carried out with early 5513/4 Submariners which had been fitted with prototypes of this escape valve.These watches were used by COMEX divers for over 2 years without any problems and so the decision was made to produce a standard watch with this feature; it was, of course, the SD the rest is history.

And talking about the the HEV it was around 1969 when Doxa introduced the first divers watch equipped with a Helium Release Valve, Doxa was available first to the general public.But its widely believed to have been co-developed by Doxa and Rolex at that time.Now Rolex submitted a prototype patent on 6th November 1967, its thought only around 50 of these double Red 1665s were distributed with patent pending backs now these are rare Rolex watches and command telephone number prices.Rolex did not start to build the Helium Release Valve into their retail dive watches until the SD in 1971,two years after the Doxa, after a bit of negotiations with Doxa both companies had a very good working relationship.

So its widely believed they decided to share the H/Valve patent,just to get the SD into production and for sale to the public the new SD . The largest single purchaser of these watches was and is COMEX; every diver who works for the company is issued with one and to prevent the watches from being "misplaced" Rolex print the name of the company on the dial of every watch. COMEX themselves also engrave the rear of the watch with their name and a unique serial number.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 01:18 AM   #5
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The first watches used by Comex were just 5513 subs with the prototypes of the HEV from 1967.After several trials Rolex made special 5514 subs for Comex it was in November 1967 that A. Zilbach, a Rolex technician who had worked in close collaboration with COMEX received the Swiss patent number 492,246 for a helium escape valve,but shared with Doxa to rush it through Doxa watches with the HEV were in production first.Now This was the result of experiments carried out with early 5513/4 Submariners which had been fitted with prototypes of this escape valve.These watches were used by COMEX divers for over 2 years without any problems and so the decision was made to produce a standard watch with this feature; it was, of course, the SD the rest is history.

And talking about the the HEV it was around 1969 when Doxa introduced the first divers watch equipped with a Helium Release Valve, Doxa was available first to the general public.But its widely believed to have been co-developed by Doxa and Rolex at that time.Now Rolex submitted a prototype patent on 6th November 1967, its thought only around 50 of these double Red 1665s were distributed with patent pending backs now these are rare Rolex watches and command telephone number prices.Rolex did not start to build the Helium Release Valve into their retail dive watches until the SD in 1971,two years after the Doxa, after a bit of negotiations with Doxa both companies had a very good working relationship.

So its widely believed they decided to share the H/Valve patent,just to get the SD into production and for sale to the public the new SD . The largest single purchaser of these watches was and is COMEX; every diver who works for the company is issued with one and to prevent the watches from being "misplaced" Rolex print the name of the company on the dial of every watch. COMEX themselves also engrave the rear of the watch with their name and a unique serial number.
thank you for the info padi
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 01:23 AM   #6
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Thanks Padi56 for the great info. Did the company eventually switch to the Deepsea?
Old 2 August 2013, 01:45 AM   #7
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
I've seen sapphire crystal Comex seadwellers but nothing newer than that so no, there has never been a Comex Deep Sea.

Interestingly I did see a Rolex advert on UK TV a few days ago with the founder of Comex talking (in French with subtitles) about comex's relationship with Rolex. It looked like he was wearing a Deepsea but there was no indication of it having the Comex logo on the dial.

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 01:56 AM   #8
wantonebad

For any working Comex diver the Deep Sea would be about the best possible watch for their world, but they don't brand the watch like they did for the pre-deepsea sea-dweller
Old 2 August 2013, 02:00 AM   #9
Grumpy Badger
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M Sub (cosc)
Outdated for those boys nowadays except perhaps as an analogue backup. Don't get me wrong, though, I bet plenty of them have them as private purchase items.

"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, PC, DL, FRS.
Grumpy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 02:00 AM   #10
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cc1966 View Post
I was wondering if Rolex put out a COMEX Deepsea SD? I am an avid fan of COMEX and their remarkable history. Thanks.
No, there was not a DSSD Comex. Just cutting to the quick answer for you.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 02:02 AM   #11
akira23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam 1313
Quote:
Thanks Padi56 for the great info.
+1.... Great Info!
akira23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 02:02 AM   #12
wantonebad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Badger View Post
Outdated for those boys nowadays except perhaps as an analogue backup. Don't get me wrong, though, I bet plenty of them have them as private purchase items.
yup
Old 2 August 2013, 02:20 AM   #13
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

I find it unusual that they have not embraced the Deepsea, especially after reading:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Sea_Dweller
To test the water resistance of the Sea-Dweller DEEPSEA, Rolex uses testing equipment developed for them by COMEX.
Old 2 August 2013, 02:22 AM   #14
wantonebad

Quote:
I find it unusual that they have not embraced the Deepsea, especially after reading:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Sea_Dweller
To test the water resistance of the Sea-Dweller DEEPSEA, Rolex uses testing equipment developed for them by COMEX.
What makes you think they haven't embraced the DSSD?
Old 2 August 2013, 02:25 AM   #15
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

OK...maybe they use the DSSD, however no COMEX marked ones to date.
Old 2 August 2013, 02:29 AM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
For any working Comex diver the Deep Sea would be about the best possible watch for their world, but they don't brand the watch like they did for the pre-deepsea sea-dweller
Well in the real world the SD was perfectly adequate as even that depth rating will never be use.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 2 August 2013, 02:30 AM   #17
wantonebad

Quote:
OK...maybe they use the DSSD, however no COMEX marked ones to date.
And they probably never will. Rolex has totally moved away from dual branding and custom marketing pieces. They just don't seem to do that anymore. That's why the few they did are in such high demand. I doubt that Comex is keen to lend their name out either, they are a serious underwater engineering firm.

Compagnie Maritime d'Expertises = Watch Company? Nah, they don't want to get into the watch biz... JMHO but in the 60's and 70's Comex had a vested interest using and testing a mechanical diving watch. Technology as Mark has pointed out makes that less important to them as a group. They are still willing to help their former partners out with testing but they don't need joint ventures anymore.

Quote:
Well in the real world the SD was perfectly adequate as even that depth rating will never be use.
Quite right Peter, but since they as a group push the envelope of what is humanly possible under water, a piece of extreme equipment would seem to fit, not that a maintained SD couldn't do the same thing...
Old 2 August 2013, 02:38 AM   #18
KBM

Quote:

The man does it again. Padi, when you are not busy being grumpy about modern Rolex references and their respective owners, your posts are worth gold in knowledge. Rofl

Thanks for the info and cheers!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 02:48 AM   #19
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
I would think it might be unnecessarily bulky. Though there was a diver that posted some of his adventures on here some time ago, and I'm fairly certain he wore a DSSD.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 02:56 AM   #20
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Padi,
curious if you would know....

if 100 meter rating is often not suitable for diving (according to many manufacturer charts)

so it goes a 300 meter rating is suitable for diving.... but to what actual diving depth? i read that many test beyond what is stated as their rating, but this doesn't seem to jive with the underperforming 100 meter rating?

in other words if 100 meter gets you zero depth, how does that equate to 300 meters and 1200 meter etc?

i understand that we as humans will give out long before, putting that aside for a moment, I just find it a bit misleading when i sometimes (depending on chart) read 50 meters is not suitable for a swim or shower.

Old 2 August 2013, 03:25 AM   #21
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Padi,
curious if you would know....

if 100 meter rating is often not suitable for diving (according to many manufacturer charts)

so it goes a 300 meter rating is suitable for diving.... but to what actual diving depth? i read that many test beyond what is stated as their rating, but this doesn't seem to jive with the underperforming 100 meter rating?

in other words if 100 meter gets you zero depth, how does that equate to 300 meters and 1200 meter etc?

i understand that we as humans will give out long before, putting that aside for a moment, I just find it a bit misleading when i sometimes (depending on chart) read 50 meters is not suitable for a swim or shower.

Well in the real world of diving and not in the now bordering on the ridiculous depth ratings today.Most say in the real world recreational divers very seldom go past 40-50m meters.And a dive watch is rated to 200m and over that's fine for most all diving today.Watches like the SD are used for saturation diving where the diver lives in say a chamber at the same pressure he is working at.The gas used is a high helium content the gas particles are that small they can get into the watch .How when the diver is returning to normal surface pressure the gas trapped in the watch escapes via the HEV, if it did not the pressure built up would blow out the crystal.

And today there have been more men that have gone to the moon that have gone over 300m underwater just on scuba gear.I believe the record by Nuno Gomes is around 320m but that dive was very carefully planned with a huge back up.Now it only took him about 20/30 minutes to reach that depth,but because of breathing different gases at that depth and pressure.It took him little over 12 hours with all the safety stops to finally return to the surface safe, and without any decompression treatment.

And at these extreme depths,there are several diving related problems to overcome nitrogen decompression sickness, oxygen toxicity,sheer dehydration and the different affects of the gases when changing over tanks containing the different gas mixtures.Now while breathing the high helium mix the gas wants to leave the blood while the nitrogen wants to rush in.So today whatever rating a dive watch has for around 90% of all dive watches bought today is totally irrelevant as they will be never used at those max depths.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 2 August 2013, 03:30 AM   #22
ford_kuga
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona TT Panda
I bought a new GMT II Master today, while at the AD I picked up a Rolex book / magazine for free and there is a write up on the Comex watch, I dont have a scanner but I can take high res pics of the article if anybody
is interested in reading it ?, pm me or just say if you want to see it :-)
ford_kuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2013, 03:49 AM   #23
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_kuga View Post
I bought a new GMT II Master today, while at the AD I picked up a Rolex book / magazine for free and there is a write up on the Comex watch, I dont have a scanner but I can take high res pics of the article if anybody
is interested in reading it ?, pm me or just say if you want to see it :-)
Please post a high res pic to the post. Thanks...tried to send a pm, but am using an ipad mini and the option keeps puking me out with an error message.

Last edited by Cc1966; 2 August 2013 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 2 August 2013, 04:03 AM   #24
ford_kuga
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona TT Panda
No probs got your message, post it asap !
ford_kuga is offline   Reply With Quote