The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2005, 03:59 AM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
3135 vs 3185 vs 3186

HI guys,

This one is for one and all...so please bear with me! Thanks!

The 3135 is probably one of the most trusted, reliable, rugged and solid movments out there and is incorporated in...
Sub-date
SD
YM (only 40 mm)
Datejust

The 3185 is identical in every respect as the 3135 with one additional complication - the GMT feature which allows the user to move the small hour hand independently. It is fitted in...
GMT-II
Exp-II

Now we come to the new 3186 movement...which allows the user to change the date "rapidly" just like a normal Rolex (except GMT-II and Exp-II), but still retains the advantage of the independetly movable small hour hand. Not sure how these positions have been incorporated into the crown, but only this model has the new 3186 movement.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2005, 04:23 AM   #2
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

is that what they call the supercase?

steve
Old 11 December 2005, 04:49 AM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife
is that what they call the supercase?

steve
Don't know nothing about any "supercase", but that's the new all gold GMT-II with the 3186 movement, maxi dial and TRIPLOCK crown.

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 11 December 2005 at 03:17 PM..
Old 11 December 2005, 04:54 AM   #4
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I like the 3185. Being able to independently move the hour hand is much more convenient IMO than a quick set date (which I rarely use anyway - I prefer to turn the hour around to do that).
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2005, 04:56 AM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
I like the 3185. Being able to independently move the hour hand is much more convenient IMO than a quick set date (which I rarely use anyway - I prefer to turn the hour around to do that).
Agreed wholeheartedly, Bruce. In fact, I wish every Rolex had this independently movable hour hand. Think how convenient it would be for the user whilst travelling and during daylight saving switches.

Old 11 December 2005, 04:59 AM   #6
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

hi JJ

if you compare the lugs I notice they are noticeably wider, than the cases on any other of the rolex sports line, i dont think the actual dial width has changed though still 40mm

steve
Old 11 December 2005, 05:02 AM   #7
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolivelife
hi JJ

if you compare the lugs I notice they are noticeably wider, than the cases on any other of the rolex sports line, i dont think the actual dial width has changed though still 40mm

steve
Yes, the lugs do appear larger and wider; but the case width would be 40 mm, the dial width is probably still 30 mm.

Old 11 December 2005, 05:08 AM   #8
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

a 40mm "dial" now that would be a supercase they just appear to have increased the lug thickness and crownguards, its really noticeable in the catalogue where they are side by side

Last edited by worktolivelife; 11 December 2005 at 05:12 AM..
worktolivelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2005, 05:11 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

That same watch in full SS and sales would top all sports Rolex models.....ever!!

Old 11 December 2005, 05:34 AM   #10
worktolivelife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
That same watch in full SS and sales would top all sports Rolex models.....ever!!
For sure!!!, don't know much on Rolex history is it usual to introduce a new design in gold 1st followed by SS or the the reverse or do you think this will remain an all gold feature only?

steve

Last edited by worktolivelife; 11 December 2005 at 05:42 AM..
worktolivelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2005, 06:02 AM   #11
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
That was very imformative JJ, but I'm confused. What are the main differences in the movements?

Tyler
Member #84
baseballduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2005, 06:10 AM   #12
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed wholeheartedly, Bruce. In fact, I wish every Rolex had this independently movable hour hand. Think how convenient it would be for the user whilst travelling and during daylight saving switches.
Right JJ. My decision for which watch to take when travelling across timezones isn't whether it has a GMT hand, I can add and subtract, but whether I can change the time without stopping my watch!!
Old 11 December 2005, 03:27 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballduck
That was very imformative JJ, but I'm confused. What are the main differences in the movements?

Tyler
Hi Tyler,

They are all basically the same movement....to summarise:

3135 - only has the DATE complication. To change the date (in shorter months), all you do is unscrew the crown, pull it out to position '2' (the watch still continues to run), and the date can be flicked by turning the crown forward.

3185 - DATE + additional 24-hour zone complication. In these two models (i.e. GMT-II and Exp-II), the small hand (with the Mercedes star on it) can be moved independently...a useful feature whilst travelling from one time zone to another, or even from one country to another.

3186 - DATE + rapid-date facility + independently movable small hour hand for time zone changes....in other words, the features of the 3185 + the capability of changing the date rapidly without having to turn the small hour hand round the clock to flick the date. This 3186 movement is NEW and is available only with the solid gold GMT-II pictured on page 1 of this thread.

Please feel free to ask any further questions you like, Tyler...always a pleasure!!

Cheers - JJ

Old 11 December 2005, 11:33 PM   #14
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Thank you for that explination JJ. It was very helpful and informative. BTW how's the weather in NZ?

Tyler
Member #84
Old 12 December 2005, 03:11 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Thank you for that explination JJ. It was very helpful and informative. BTW how's the weather in NZ?

Tyler
You're welcome, Tyler. It's starting to warm up here. Yesterday was quite a hot day and today (Monday) promises to be equally warm. Summer's already on right now and this kind of weather is expected to last until around first week March when it will stat to cool off.

The best time to visit NZ is during March/April after the Summer holidays are over and the kids are back at school. The motel/hotel rates drop, the weather is much better and, yes, that's when you wanna come here for a holiday!!

Old 12 December 2005, 04:11 AM   #16
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Oh yea, I forgot you are in summer right now. So what month is it, or do you go by the same months as us and just a different season schedual?

Tyler
Member #84
Old 12 December 2005, 04:13 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Oh yea, I forgot you are in summer right now. So what month is it, or do you go by the same months as us and just a different season schedual?

Tyler
LOL! I'm like 18 hours ahead of your time, so right now it's 7:15 am on Monday morning. I'll be pushing off for work soon.

Cheers - JJ

Old 12 December 2005, 04:22 AM   #18
baseballduck
"TRF" Member

Ok then, see ya JJ. Have a good Monday at work.

Tyler
Member #84
Old 12 December 2005, 04:24 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Ok then, see ya JJ. Have a good Monday at work.

Tyler
See ya, Tyler....enjoy the rest of your weekend.

JJ

Old 13 December 2005, 04:48 AM   #20
tpearman
"TRF" Member

Cool movement!

That movement seems cutting edge and impressive...if only the watch weren't so butt ugly! Every time I see it, I can't really believe Rolex produced it.

Last edited by tpearman; 13 December 2005 at 04:49 AM..
tpearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2005, 05:03 AM   #21
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree JJ. The question is will Rolex make it?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2005, 05:14 AM   #22
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
I agree JJ. The question is will Rolex make it?
As long as the current GMTII continues to move off the shelves, don't count on it.
Old 13 December 2005, 06:11 AM   #23
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
As long as the current GMTII continues to move off the shelves, don't count on it.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2005, 04:01 PM   #24
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic
Very true...and the same applies to the other fast moving SS sports models like the Sub-date, Exp-II and the like....meaning, we cannot expect maxi dials or any other changes like solid centre links, etc.

Old 14 December 2005, 04:26 AM   #25
tpearman
"TRF" Member

Sure would be cool, though...

If Rolex would consider solid center links. That is one thing that totally sold me on Panerai, the weight of the bracelet. As soon as I tried one on in the jewelers, I said, "uh oh, I think this is my next watch."

Years ago, I had a fake rolex (I know...I know.... ) and when I got my first real one, I was amazed that it looked and felt exactly like the fake. In particular, I was amazed that the band was so lightweight and cheap-feeling.
tpearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2005, 04:58 AM   #26
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpearman
If Rolex would consider solid center links. That is one thing that totally sold me on Panerai, the weight of the bracelet. As soon as I tried one on in the jewelers, I said, "uh oh, I think this is my next watch."

Years ago, I had a fake rolex (I know...I know.... ) and when I got my first real one, I was amazed that it looked and felt exactly like the fake. In particular, I was amazed that the band was so lightweight and cheap-feeling.
I'm not sure why so many equate light weight with cheap. Titanium is light weight and it's certainly not cheap. Lots of people buy ti watches because they're light weight and then bitch about Rolex bracelets being too light weight! That just makes no sense.

To me, Rolex Oyster bracelets are the most comfortable I've worn. As long as they're strong and don't break (another benefit of ti) then I appreciate that they're light. While the stamped clasp appears cheap, they too are very strong.

Have to admit though...I saw one of the new DJ clasps the other day that was the nicest thing I've seen. Hopefully they'll make 'em like that on the sports models sometime in the next 50 years.

It's really common to hear Omega enthusiasts put down Rolex bracelets as Omega bracelets are so heavy and well made. Only problem is they look like hell after a few years, or few months depending on how hard you wear them. A Rolex bracelet will still look good after many years of use. So much for the cheap bracelet BS.
Old 14 December 2005, 05:11 AM   #27
Atomic

Well said, Bruce. While I would absolutely love it if Rolex made their bracelets with solid links and better clasps, I'm quite happy with the one I've got. I have yet to hear a story of a Rolex clasp failing. The closest was that guy I mentioned before who had a screw come out of his bracelet, but that's not a clasp failure, IMO.

Also agree on the Omega comment. This was also true of my TAG Kirium. Great watch but after three years of daily use, it looked its age. Whereas the ExpII bracelet with three years use still looks amazing (and it's now resting in a case for the winter, LOL).
Old 14 December 2005, 05:23 AM   #28
BruceS
"TRF" Member

The DJ I'm wearing right now is 10 years old. Even the gold looks good. It's not super shiney new looking (actually the bezel is), but if I had an RSC service it I bet they could make it look almost shiney new!
Old 14 December 2005, 10:55 AM   #29
maverick
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
I'm not sure why so many equate light weight with cheap. Titanium is light weight and it's certainly not cheap. Lots of people buy ti watches because they're light weight and then bitch about Rolex bracelets being too light weight! That just makes no sense.

To me, Rolex Oyster bracelets are the most comfortable I've worn. As long as they're strong and don't break (another benefit of ti) then I appreciate that they're light. While the stamped clasp appears cheap, they too are very strong.

Have to admit though...I saw one of the new DJ clasps the other day that was the nicest thing I've seen. Hopefully they'll make 'em like that on the sports models sometime in the next 50 years.

It's really common to hear Omega enthusiasts put down Rolex bracelets as Omega bracelets are so heavy and well made. Only problem is they look like hell after a few years, or few months depending on how hard you wear them. A Rolex bracelet will still look good after many years of use. So much for the cheap bracelet BS.
I could not have said it better. =) maverick
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2005, 04:34 PM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:

Hey Bruce,

Have you been talking to Zemina?

You've just said more or less the same words that Zemina keeps singing all these years. She too is a die hard Rolex fan and every time she gives her Rolex a wash, she looks at me and her words are: "Look, JJ, just look at the steel Rolex use. After every wash, the watch looks like it's just come out of the showroom. Amazing! And this can go on year in and year out....for years and years!"

So true!!