The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 4 February 2008, 02:38 AM   #1
Cyberpipm2000

Watch: Bluesy
change my avatar?

The owner is saying that some people use this site at work and my avatar is not right and there are many others I can choose from... So he is saying in a nutt shell I have to change it. But I like it. this picture was taken of my at a pool party in the summer and I do not think it shows anything but my upper shoulders.. I look tan and slim in this picture, I really like it. It does not conflict with the rules on this site as there is no nudity..

what do you guy's think?
Feels to me that the owner is just asking me because he personally does not like it. Does not seem fair to me... Just another way to try and play god if you ask me.

I wanted to get some reactions and feelings from some of you guys around here and see what you all think?
Kind Regards,
JD
Old 4 February 2008, 02:47 AM   #2
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Well i was always liberal. People should be free to choose their own avatar but if your avatar offends some people then you should change it.

Just to be clear i am not offended by your avatar

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
Old 4 February 2008, 02:51 AM   #3
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpipm2000 View Post
The owner is saying that some people use this site at work and my avatar is not right and there are many others I can choose from... So he is saying in a nutt shell I have to change it. But I like it. this picture was taken of my at a pool party in the summer and I do not think it shows anything but my upper shoulders.. I look tan and slim in this picture, I really like it. It does not conflict with the rules on this site as there is no nudity..

what do you guy's think?
Feels to me that the owner is just asking me because he personally does not like it. Does not seem fair to me... Just another way to try and play god if you ask me.

I wanted to get some reactions and feelings from some of you guys around here and see what you all think?
Kind Regards,
JD
Seeing how you've chosen to go public with this matter, I'm going to give you my opinion.

The decision was an administrative one, not just Steve's. Despite what you think, he is not playing God. We find your avatar distasteful. If it were a female, the decision would be the same.

TRF is made up of many people. Some surf it at work, not just home. It is inappropriate to view such pics at the work place or at home where children can view them. We are a family forum.

Sometimes decisions have to be made for the best of TRF. This is one of those times.

One more outcry of Steve or anyone else on the mod team playing God will get you a six point infraction.
Old 4 February 2008, 02:56 AM   #4
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Seeing how you've chosen to go public with this matter, I'm going to give you my opinion.

The decision was an administrative one, not just Steve's. Despite what you think, he is not playing God. We find your avatar distasteful. If it were a female, the decision would be the same.

TRF is made up of many people. Some surf it at work, not just home. It is inappropriate to view such pics at the work place or at home where children can view them. We are a family forum.

Sometimes decisions have to be made for the best of TRF. This is one of those times.

One more outcry of Steve or anyone else on the mod team playing God will get you a six point infraction.
Is it the one he have at the moment? If so I will say JJ´s avatar is more distasteful.

Jocke

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and youīre a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 4 February 2008, 02:57 AM   #5
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
I couldn't care less but I can see where your avatar combined with your screen name could raise some eyebrows in a work setting. Although I'm sure it is meant in a light-hearted manner some could get the wrong idea. Just my .02.
Old 4 February 2008, 02:59 AM   #6
frostie
1,000,000th PostMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Is it the one he have at the moment? If so I will say JJīs avatar is more distasteful.

Jocke

GMT - Master II C - 116710 LN
Old 4 February 2008, 03:00 AM   #7
Cyberpipm2000

I will say your comment was distasteful

"One more outcry of Steve or anyone else on the mod team playing God will get you a six point infraction."

I rest my case.

This feel's like grade school all over again.

The picture is cut so high up I could be wearing a turttle neck..

6 point infraction huh.. let me tell you what's not smart, Is making public statments like that on a site you want to become more popular. I will say you are very rude IMO.
Old 4 February 2008, 03:04 AM   #8
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
Why is it so difficult for you to choose something more appropriate as an avatar for a Rolex watch forum?
Old 4 February 2008, 03:05 AM   #9
Cyberpipm2000

I should have my attorney type up a press release on my avatar just for laughs, but being this is not a US based sight, It may conflict with international order and start another war...
Old 4 February 2008, 03:07 AM   #10
mailman

Quote:
I will say your comment was distasteful

"One more outcry of Steve or anyone else on the mod team playing God will get you a six point infraction."

I rest my case.

This feel's like grade school all over again.

The picture is cut so high up I could be wearing a turttle neck..

6 point infraction huh.. let me tell you what's not smart, Is making public statments like that on a site you want to become more popular. I will say you are very rude IMO.
Personaly I don't care what you think of me. We are very liberal here, and let people get away with a lot more that most places do.

As far as your opinion of me wanting to become more popular here, let me tell you this. I've been here for over two years. I've made more friends than enemies here and my reputation precedes itself.

You're new here and maybe you didn't read the rules before you joined up. If you didn't, I suggest you do. Especially #6

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=8936
Old 4 February 2008, 03:08 AM   #11
Cyberpipm2000

I will change it sir, but now I have a much different opinion about the people who have brought this site to life. It is making me think it would not be a bad idea to open up one of my own where people can be free and not treated like a server at a private country club. you must give me 24 hours to make the change.
Old 4 February 2008, 03:09 AM   #12
mailman

Quote:
I will change it sir, but now I have a much different opinion about the people who have brought this site to life. It is making me think it would not be a bad idea to open up one of my own where people can be free and not treated like a server at a private country club. you must give me 24 hours to make the change.
Feel free to open your own site.
Old 4 February 2008, 03:14 AM   #13
Cyberpipm2000

you are just like the character in your avatar... I think you should change your picture because on the show the "sopranos" he swears and threatens an awful lot.. it offends me. I have proved my point, thank you for helping me prove it. Very distasteful, this is fine. only treatment like this will cut down on users of your site. treat another and another and another, it will only lead to a poor reputation and chase people away. I'm happy you have been here for 2 years, you must be proud.
Old 4 February 2008, 03:16 AM   #14
Cyberpipm2000

thank you for the 6 point infraction as well. you know what. you just chased me away pal. I have more class than this
Old 4 February 2008, 03:19 AM   #15
mailman

Quote:
you are just like the character in your avatar... I think you should change your picture because on the show the "sopranos" he swears and threatens an awful lot.. it offends me. I have proved my point, thank you for helping me prove it. Very distasteful, this is fine. only treatment like this will cut down on users of your site. treat another and another and another, it will only lead to a poor reputation and chase people away. I'm happy you have been here for 2 years, you must be proud.
Yeah so what he swears and threatens? I don't, especially not here. You're the only one it offends and I think it's because you were asked to change yours. If it offends others, I will be more than happy to change it.

Everyone gets treated the same here, and because of it TRF has continued to grow. We have a great reputation of being one of, if not the friendliest places on the net.

Maybe you should use your own advice when you open your own site.

Yes I am very proud to be a member here on TRF
Old 4 February 2008, 03:21 AM   #16
mailman

Quote:
thank you for the 6 point infraction as well. you know what. you just chased me away pal. I have more class than this
Actually I didn't give you the infraction, someone else had the pleasure. I would have love to have done it, but I was trying to give you more than enough chances.

If you choose to leave, that's your decision.

If you had class, you would've kept the matter private, like a gentleman.
Old 4 February 2008, 03:26 AM   #17
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
In these days of equality, would you think it was ok for a female to have the same sort of Avatar and then allow your young son to view? probably not, the person that runs the forum, and by design makes the rules, should always have the final decision, just for the record your avatar does not offend me, but i dont make the rules.

DAVE

Old 4 February 2008, 03:27 AM   #18
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...If you had class, you would've kept the matter private, like a gentleman.
Exactly!
Old 4 February 2008, 03:37 AM   #19
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
...the person that runs the forum, and by design makes the rules, should always have the final decision...
Precisely. What most people forget is that online forums are NOT democratic institutions. You join because you agree with the "look and feel", the rules, and the general ambiance of the board. You are free to stay (abiding by the rules and the designs of the owner) or...you are free to go if you do not agree.

It's really just that simple. No public disagreements necessary - just go.

I have been (and currently am) a member of many online forums. This one is by far one of the most tolerant and open forums anywhere, especially in the Watch Forum arena.
Old 4 February 2008, 03:58 AM   #20
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
From time to time I have to tell an employee "don't go away mad....just go".
Old 4 February 2008, 03:59 AM   #21
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Iīm happy I donīt use a pic from my shop when I do some welding work as a avatar.

I post it as a link so you donīt have to beat me up.

Once again you have to click to see it and itīs not family, children & work safe.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/welding.jpg

Jocke

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and youīre a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 4 February 2008, 04:03 AM   #22
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Quote:
Iīm happy I donīt use a pic from my shop when I do some welding work as a avatar.

Once again you have to click to see it and itīs not family, children & work safe.

Jocke
I just received 6 points for opening up the picture!
Old 4 February 2008, 04:12 AM   #23
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post
And they were well-deserved too, Joe!
Old 4 February 2008, 04:34 AM   #24
Scooby

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Jocke
I should have worn the welder's visor before I opened that link.
Old 4 February 2008, 04:38 AM   #25
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshirt1957 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
I should have worn the welder's visor before I opened that link.
What did you all expect from Jocke? This...???

Old 4 February 2008, 05:09 AM   #26
Cyberpipm2000

Quote:
Actually I didn't give you the infraction, someone else had the pleasure. I would have love to have done it, but I was trying to give you more than enough chances.

If you choose to leave, that's your decision.

If you had class, you would've kept the matter private, like a gentleman.
If I had class huh? how can you speak of private on a public forum?

I hope my new shirt pleases you... It's all I can afford, or are you going to discriminate against my taste of clothing now to?

BTW padi's comment when she gave me my 6 points was very very low class and rude... It's a nice example for you moderators to set when you tell us to follow the rules yet you can break them when ever you please.

Copy of the so called rude PM I sent to Cyberpipm2000

Dear Cyberpipm2000,

You have received an infraction at Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum.

Reason: Failing to heed moderation warning/advice
-------
Hi Cyberpipm2000.
Well you was warned so you asked for it you got it.
Padi
-------

This infraction is worth 6 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.
Old 4 February 2008, 05:11 AM   #27
Cyberpipm2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
In these days of equality, would you think it was ok for a female to have the same sort of Avatar and then allow your young son to view? probably not, the person that runs the forum, and by design makes the rules, should always have the final decision, just for the record your avatar does not offend me, but i dont make the rules.
Dave,
Don't even do there pal... If that was the case then at public swimming pools Men would have to wear one piece suits just the same as Women do.

I don't know if you know this but Men have different "Parts" then women do...
Old 4 February 2008, 05:12 AM   #28
Prince
"TRF" Member

Alright, that's enough. Closed!!!
Old 4 February 2008, 05:13 AM   #29
mailman

Quote:
BTW padi's comment when she gave me my 6 points was very very low class and rude...
You just got six more points for this remark.
Old 4 February 2008, 06:01 AM   #30
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
JD,
You chose to take a private request to the open forum..

And then you chose to use veiled inuendo and crude remarks to the Mod staff and the Forum Administration.

Contary to what you believe, this is a private forum, operated in an open venue....available to the public....but it is not a public forum, run by the public.

If you were a gentleman, this could have been worked out without all the needless bickering..

If you had a bit of common sense, you would have seen that this could only turn out badly for you..

Closed Thread