The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 January 2014, 05:25 AM   #1
billiards74
Banned

Aftermarket Bracelets on Rolexes

Just a quick survey of opinions regarding aftermarket bracelets...

Personally, I don't see any problem with using a high-end aftermarket bracelet on any Rolex.

Routinely people put aftermarket leather / NATO straps on their Rolex. So, why the negative stigma attached to aftermarket metal?
billiards74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Not sure - people can do whatever they like with their property. Wear it on a pink shoe-lace if you like. I personally wouldn't buy a non-Rolex bracelet for any of my watches, because I have genuine and/or original Rolex ones already, but I often use other strap types (nylon, leather etc).
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 05:42 AM   #3
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I would not trust any metal bracelet which is not from THE factory.

When it's lost - its gone. It's that simple
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 05:45 AM   #4
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Around here folks just aren't into aftermarket stuff on a Rolex. Straps may be the exception, one reason being that Rolex doesn't offer OEM straps on most models. Straps also can have a certain utility when used on a tool watch, and can change up the look of a dress watch. Add to this the fact that most members revere the oyster and jubilee bracelets and therefore are highly unlikely to see any other bracelet as an improvement.
Old 4 January 2014, 05:51 AM   #5
Paul
"TRF" Member

Fit for purpose ....

I have a real man's job - read that as a day spent up ladders and down ditches.

I have a couple of very beaten up Subs that I use for work including this ultra-rare 5513 small crown

The bracelet is an aftermarket eBay cheapie - with a genuine Rolex clasp that I fitted.

Suits my needs well

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 05:56 AM   #6
billiards74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I have a real man's job - read that as a day spent up ladders and down ditches.

I have a couple of very beaten up Subs that I use for work including this ultra-rare 5513 small crown

The bracelet is an aftermarket eBay cheapie - with a genuine Rolex clasp that I fitted.

Suits my needs well

Old 4 January 2014, 05:56 AM   #7
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
Not sure - people can do whatever they like with their property. Wear it on a pink shoe-lace if you like. I personally wouldn't buy a non-Rolex bracelet for any of my watches, because I have genuine and/or original Rolex ones already, but I often use other strap types (nylon, leather etc).
This
nsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 06:16 AM   #8
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
tried one once ,,,, as a stop gap ,,, didnt even get it away from the bench ,,, quality was exactly as i would expect from 20 quid ,, trouble is , links and clasp were ok , its the ends where the spring bars go through that were tragic ,,, bung on a generic beads of rice or whatever with straight endlinks , wear it ,,, ok , but the rolex copy i had was tragic.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 06:20 AM   #9
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I have a real man's job...
I also wear my watch on a daily basis and have for 43 years. I feel there's a limit to how far I'll go to keep my GMT completely stock, especially wear items that carry the Rolex logo. Retaining the original bezel inserts, dials, hands, etc. are one thing, but IMO the band is quite another. I would have trouble finding a truly original-type band for this vintage watch, and in 2004 when the second band (Jubilee) was becoming too worn to be secure I looked into an Oyster type as is commonly seem on Subs and GMTs with a double-clasp.

The cost for a genuine Rolex band was staggering and the jeweler showed me what he said was the same band made by the same Italian manufacturer without the Rolex mark, and putting the two side by side I couldn't see a difference except the Rolex band had a part number stamped into the underside near one of the spring bar slots. I bought the non-Rolex band for a small fraction of the cost and ordered a genuine replacement Rolex clasp, which wasn't that expensive at the time. The clasp on the non-Rolex band was also identical but didn't have the Rolex logo on it, but I decided to with the genuine article. The seller had to send Rolex the old clasp to get the new one. After ten years of almost daily use the band is as sturdy as when new with very little sag.

I just find it obscene to pay 200% premium, or whatever, for a genuine part that will wear out in time when a part of equal quality is available. Internal mechanical components are another matter, but IMO the band is something I'll consider if quality isn't compromised.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 06:21 AM   #10
billiards74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
tried one once ,,,, as a stop gap ,,, didnt even get it away from the bench ,,, quality was exactly as i would expect from 20 quid ,, trouble is , links and clasp were ok , its the ends where the spring bars go through that were tragic ,,, bung on a generic beads of rice or whatever with straight endlinks , wear it ,,, ok , but the rolex copy i had was tragic.
I'm not in favor of forgeries or counterfeit. However, I know that there are high quality aftermarkets out there that are VERY good. They don't cost what the genuine article costs.
Old 4 January 2014, 06:25 AM   #11
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Here's my honest answer......I am wayyyy to shallow to wear anything but stock, even if the bracelet of great quality, it will always bug me.

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 06:28 AM   #12
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I guess I'll be the wierdo this time. I pull the stock bracelet as soon as I get the watch and put it (labelled) into storage in case I ever decide to sell the piece. I put an aftermarket bracelet (NEVER a counterfeit or reproduction, only a high-quality similar) on and wear and enjoy. After a year or two, the bracelet might look a little scuffed or banged up. I REPLACE IT. No polishing, no refurb, no issues. I like the look of a relatively new bracelet on my watch, but am too lazy to maintain and pamper the genuine article, so I buy high-end replacements. But is $50 really "high-end"?
motoikkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 06:31 AM   #13
Tudor66
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT- Pepsi
Here's my story:

I was fooled once and unknowingly purchased an aftermarket/copy vintage GMT bracelet that came with a real 1675 GMT Rolex.

When I tried to sell the GMT a few months later with that bracelet I looked like a horse's arse.... Fortunately the buyer was cool about it and bought the GMT- I then destroyed that bracelet with a grinding wheel- that's what I think about aftermarket/copy bracelets...!

Al
Old 4 January 2014, 06:33 AM   #14
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
I guess I'll be the wierdo this time. I pull the stock bracelet as soon as I get the watch and put it (labelled) into storage in case I ever decide to sell the piece. I put an aftermarket bracelet (NEVER a counterfeit or reproduction, only a high-quality similar) on and wear and enjoy. After a year or two, the bracelet might look a little scuffed or banged up. I REPLACE IT. No polishing, no refurb, no issues. I like the look of a relatively new bracelet on my watch, but am too lazy to maintain and pamper the genuine article, so I buy high-end replacements. But is $50 really "high-end"?
But why not store and replace the watch head as well with an Invicta clone or similar? Then you wouldn't have issues with damage or scratches to it either.
Old 4 January 2014, 06:38 AM   #15
evilfij
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona Panda
As long as it is quality (and does not infringe on trademarks -- is no non-authorized use of rolex or the crown) I don't see the issue and, frankly, a lot of old rolex bracelets were not that great.
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 06:40 AM   #16
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Around here folks just aren't into aftermarket stuff on a Rolex. Straps may be the exception, one reason being that Rolex doesn't offer OEM straps on most models. Straps also can have a certain utility when used on a tool watch, and can change up the look of a dress watch. Add to this the fact that most members revere the oyster and jubilee bracelets and therefore are highly unlikely to see any other bracelet as an improvement.
x2 That about sums up what I was going to say.

I certainly have no problem with other people using aftermarket bracelets. But personally, I'd rather have the real deal, or something different.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 06:44 AM   #17
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoikkyu View Post
I guess I'll be the wierdo this time. I pull the stock bracelet as soon as I get the watch and put it (labelled) into storage in case I ever decide to sell the piece.
In retrospect that's the smart option, IMO, but 43 years ago when I bought my GMT I didn't have a clue that in 2013 a bracelet would cost 8X what the entire watch cost new in 1971. Had I known I would not have tossed my original worn bracelet in the trash like I did. I cringe thinking about that now, but hindsight is 20:20.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 06:56 AM   #18
Paul
"TRF" Member

Yip. There's also plenty of baggy old bracelets out there in daily use ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
As long as it is quality (and does not infringe on trademarks -- is no non-authorized use of rolex or the crown) I don't see the issue and, frankly, a lot of old rolex bracelets were not that great.
Lots of fellas out there rocking expensive watches with original .... but very tired .... bracelets.

A mate of mine lost his inherited Omega Constellation because he just hadn't got round to having the bracelet serviced.
That was a bad day for him
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 07:01 AM   #19
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Michael Young suddenly springs to my mind

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Old 4 January 2014, 07:41 AM   #20
billiards74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchSteel View Post
Michael Young suddenly springs to my mind
Who's Michael Young?

(Sounds like a line from "Atlas Shrugged".)
Old 4 January 2014, 07:45 AM   #21
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiards74 View Post
Who's Michael Young?

(Sounds like a line from "Atlas Shrugged".)
A fellow member in Hong Kong who specializes in repairing and restoring stretched or worn bracelets.
Old 4 January 2014, 07:53 AM   #22
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Do a search on MY here, he does some incredible bracelet restorations.

Old 4 January 2014, 07:57 AM   #23
billiards74
Banned

I did see some posts, now that you mention it, with his name. I read the thread about bracelet restoration. I was very impressed.
Old 4 January 2014, 09:59 AM   #24
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Comments on my need to buy an Invicta aside, some of the vintage bracelets aren't high quality. I know they say "Rolex" on them and are thus sacred, at least to some forumites, but the Rado bracelets of the same era are much better, as are the Heuers. The Breitling bracelets, of course, were much worse. If I have a proper bracelet in good condition, that's a value in and of itself. My jobs vary in degree of physicality and yes, there are days that I can't quite bring myself to wear a Rolex, no matter what the band or bracelet, but even on the good days it seems a shame to subject a decent vintage bracelet to that degree of abuse when there is a satisfactory alternative. I think there are too many Rolex enthusiasts who are unwilling to admit that they can't tell an aftermarket bracelet at first glance and often not until they look at the clasp. My watchmaker can't. Michael Young's restorations are superb. I've had three. His bracelet restoration is usually the last thing I do with a vintage piece before I sell it.
motoikkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 10:12 AM   #25
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
But why not store and replace the watch head as well with an Invicta clone or similar? Then you wouldn't have issues with damage or scratches to it either.
Or, take it one step further--don't ever change the tires on the vintage Ferrari to similar newer model tires with less wear and equal traction. Just keep driving it around until one day a tire blows out and you run head-long into a bridge embankment (added for dramatic affect ;) )

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 10:20 AM   #26
billiards74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Or, take it one step further--don't ever change the tires on the vintage Ferrari to similar newer model tires with less wear and equal traction. Just keep driving it around until one day a tire blows out and you run head-long into a bridge embankment (added for dramatic affect ;) )
Old 4 January 2014, 10:46 AM   #27
donaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dad's 5508
Quote:
Originally Posted by iclick View Post

The cost for a genuine Rolex band was staggering and the jeweler showed me what he said was the same band made by the same Italian manufacturer without the Rolex mark, and putting the two side by side I couldn't see a difference except the Rolex band had a part number stamped into the underside near one of the spring bar slots. I bought the non-Rolex band for a small fraction of the cost and ordered a genuine replacement Rolex clasp, which wasn't that expensive at the time. The clasp on the non-Rolex band was also identical but didn't have the Rolex logo on it, but I decided to with the genuine article. The seller had to send Rolex the old clasp to get the new one. After ten years of almost daily use the band is as sturdy as when new with very little sag.

I just find it obscene to pay 200% premium, or whatever, for a genuine part that will wear out in time when a part of equal quality is available. Internal mechanical components are another matter, but IMO the band is something I'll consider if quality isn't compromised.
Care to share more info on the band you bought from your jeweler? Who is the manufacturer and are they still available?
donaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 11:29 AM   #28
jolimont
"TRF" Member

Watch: sundial
I used to wear my 1601 on an aftermarket jubilee/strap as the original was a wreck. After Michael Young did his magic the 6251h is back on the 1601!
jolimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2014, 11:55 AM   #29
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Not sure if that's taking it one step further or going in the opposite direction, LOL! But there is always the option of just taking that BNIB Rolex, leaving the stickers and tags in place, and go straight from the AD to the safe deposit box with it. That would keep it in the best possible condition should one ever decide to sell it. Then just use your cell phone to tell time.
Old 4 January 2014, 12:21 PM   #30
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaker View Post
Care to share more info on the band you bought from your jeweler? Who is the manufacturer and are they still available?
Non existant. Italy doesnt make Rolex bracelets.
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote