The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 8 February 2014, 07:50 PM   #1
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
Don't need a Patek but I want one ... Which one to get

So I'm 30 years old and I own a speedy pro that I wear on weekends and some evenings. I have a Non date sub that I wear to work ( as a doctor) and to meetings and things. I have a Reverso 976 with a white dial and leather strap as a dress watch. I thought I didn't need another watch but the Patek brand calls to me.

I guess I have it engraved in my mind that I must own a patek someday. Its probably due to marketing ( and I'm a sucker for marketing)

My query is - if I was to get a patek which one should I get and should I get is sooner or later?

I want to have a iconic model. It was easy with the other brands as they all have one iconic piece that they are known for. It's not that easy with Patek. The Calatrava is obviously the easy choice and I love the 5227. I tried one on and it suited me well, but I couldn't think of when I would wear it.

The nautilus has been in my mind since I was about 16. I iconic design but I think I have two good sports watches and I guess I don't need another.

The aquanaut it also pretty cool but is it a cheaper nautilus?

Really could use some advice or opinions

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 February 2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
The Aquanaut and Nautilus may look like sports watches, but they aren't really. They are much more delicate, much less sturdy than a Sub or a Speedy Pro. Great watches, but they wouldn't be "just another sports watch" in your collection, for sure.

The 5227 is a fantastic time piece, but if you wear dress watch rarely, then I think it would fit in your collection only if you give up the Reverso.

IMHO what you should do is keep looking. Walk to a Patek AD, try on various choices, and see if any of them sings to you. Once you've got your heart set on a particular time piece, it will be easier to figure out how to make room for it in your collection, and also in your everyday life.

BTW, have you also checked out the Royal Oak? Another iconic time piece from an iconic manufacturer. A bit more sporty than the Nautilus, although not quite a Sub or Speedy.
Old 8 February 2014, 09:48 PM   #3
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Forget Aquanaut and other entry level Pateks, I say save some money and buy higher end model down the line.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Rolex king 68
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5074P
Don't rush into buying something. Wait and by a perpetual calendar, you won't loose money and there more rare than the models you see showcased.
Rolex king 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 10:37 PM   #5
wctm68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
Forget Aquanaut and other entry level Pateks, I say save some money and buy higher end model down the line.
Agree 1000% Don't settle for an entry level !
wctm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 10:43 PM   #6
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
I would go Nautilus. I just always liked the looks of it! And everyone always compliment on the fine details and finish of it too
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 10:49 PM   #7
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
The problem here is that any PP other than the "entry" level watches are more dressy than the OP appears to desire. And, there is no other sport option except "entry" level. Additionally, the nautilus is hardly an entry level watch at $50K for the 5980.
Old 8 February 2014, 10:59 PM   #8
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
The problem here is that any PP other than the "entry" level watches are more dressy than the OP appears to desire. And, there is no other sport option except "entry" level. Additionally, the nautilus is hardly an entry level watch at $50K for the 5980.
People often equates price point with what is entry or not. Aquanaut and Nautilus are entry watches for Patek, even though at their price point the same amount of money can buy higher end models with other brands.

If one for sure wants an Aquanaut or Nautilus by all means get it, but if not sure, I think save up and get at least a perpetual calendar (like someone suggested above) is a better idea in the long run.
Old 8 February 2014, 11:15 PM   #9
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
I think you need to go and try them on. If you're not sure what you want, that is the best way to start eliminating possibilities.

As for the suggestions of starting with a Grand Complication, that's fine I think as long as you like the watch. There are many complicated pieces which can also fit the bill, perhaps a World Time on a bracelet?
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 11:30 PM   #10
Chasseur
"TRF" Member

Fiery gave you all best advices:
First, go to PP and try watches on your wrist. You'll feel which one is for you
Second, don't think that Nautilus are sport watches like Rolex or AP
If you want an iconic Patek, try THE Nautilus,I mean the 5711 who is really thin and can be wear with a smoking; look at the old and first advertising concerning
The Nautilus
You can also look at annual calendar but you will have plenty of time in your life to buy such a Patek
Chasseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 11:49 PM   #11
speedy_master1
"TRF" Member

Watch: can't decide.
the world time all you need
speedy_master1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2014, 11:54 PM   #12
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
no one actually needs a patek............... thats totally different from wanting one ,,
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 12:08 AM   #13
Yoda

Watch: PP AP RM
Calatrava and be done with it. Trademark Patek. If you want to spend big then get an annual or perpetual calender but take into account the insurance and safety costs involved. You will end up with a day when you end up wearing the Patek to work and having to remove it off your wrist. Best of luck.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 12:29 AM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Not everyone wants a complication, the nautilus, aquanaut and calatrava series are excellent watches and I don't think these watches are 'entry level'.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 12:47 AM   #15
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
How about a calatrava with a doctors dial? :)
Old 9 February 2014, 01:33 AM   #16
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Don't need a Patek but I want one ... Which one to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Not everyone wants a complication, the nautilus, aquanaut and calatrava series are excellent watches and I don't think these watches are 'entry level'.

Again, I didn't say they are entry level watches, I just said they are entry level Pateks.

Thierry Stern himself said they are entry level to their brand in an interview.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if you don't think they are it's perfectly fine. I am just voicing my opinion to the poster.

I agree that not everyone wants complications, but for Pateks that's where the value is, so if one really wants a Patek, I think he/she should strive for a complicated piece.
Old 9 February 2014, 01:43 AM   #17
tavv160
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, JLC...
5110 is the way to go. Dressy and every day at the same time.
Old 9 February 2014, 02:19 AM   #18
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Personally I am not a believer of "entry level" Patek's, there are just different models made for different people. Obviously the Grandes Complications are much more impressive and expensive but I don't see the simpler models as "entry level" models of that brand because of that. As for the Aquanaut, I wouldn't see it as a cheaper Nautilus. To me it's just a watch with a different style.

Regarding the real question, I'll have to agree with some others and say you should try them on and see which one you prefer. The three models you have in mind are rather different from each other, therefore the feeling and place it would have in your collection would change quite a lot depending on what you decide to go for. Speaking for myself I'm a dress watch man so my first choice would be the 5227 but the Nautilus would definitely be a runner-up. Otherwise you can always take a look at discontinued models on the grey market, you could end up with a nice complicated watch for a relatively good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavv160 View Post
5110 is the way to go. Dressy and every day at the same time.
That would also be a wonderful choice!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 02:33 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Nothing wrong with an entry level Patek if its your first Patek, that's the whole point. Silly to ask a guy who has a Speedy and Sub and is thinking of maybe delving into Pateks to suddenly jump to spending £30K on a watch unless he has mentioned those types of watches. I would go for a Nautilus if your budget allows.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 02:50 AM   #20
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Nothing wrong with an entry level Patek if its your first Patek, that's the whole point. Silly to ask a guy who has a Speedy and Sub and is thinking of maybe delving into Pateks to suddenly jump to spending £30K on a watch unless he has mentioned those types of watches. I would go for a Nautilus if your budget allows.
Nothing wrong indeed, I just don't quite believe in the terms "entry level Patek", I understand Mr. Stern may be referring to some models as such but I personally don't like using them. To each his own I guess.

As for suggesting £30k being a silly thing, the prices are indeed different when compared to the Nautilus and the Aquanaut but the OP stated that he loves the 5227. Isn't the price of this watch close to that price point? Speaking for myself I wasn't saying that he shouldn't get a Nautilus or an Aquanaut, all in all one should get the watch he wants.

- André Fortin
Old 9 February 2014, 02:58 AM   #21
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Again, I didn't say they are entry level watches, I just said they are entry level Pateks.
I misunderstood, sorry.

Quote:
Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, if you don't think they are it's perfectly fine. I am just voicing my opinion to the poster.

I agree that not everyone wants complications, but for Pateks that's where the value is, so if one really wants a Patek, I think he/she should strive for a complicated piece.
You're right about the complications, but I think a Calatrava is also very Patek.
The OP is 30, I don't think this watch will be his last PP and I think the entry Pateks are a great way to get into the brand.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 02:59 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Nothing wrong indeed, I just don't quite believe in the terms "entry level Patek", I understand Mr. Stern may be referring to some models as such but I personally don't like using them. To each his own I guess.

As for suggesting £30k being a silly thing, the prices are indeed different when compared to the Nautilus and the Aquanaut but the OP stated that he loves the 5227. Isn't the price of this watch close to that price point? Speaking for myself I wasn't saying that he shouldn't get a Nautilus or an Aquanaut, all in all one should get the watch he wants.
Hey Carl, I wasn't really referring to your post. Like others I just didn't like the way "entry level Pateks" were being used in a dismissive manner. As for price the 5227 and a Nautilus are priced around the same, and easily buyable for £17K.
Old 9 February 2014, 03:01 AM   #23
Wazen
"TRF" Member

Patek calatrava 5396. Sonrr and classy
Wazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 03:02 AM   #24
Wazen
"TRF" Member

I meant sober and classy
Wazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 03:02 AM   #25
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Hey Carl, I wasn't really referring to your post. Like others I just didn't like the way "entry level Pateks" were being used in a dismissive manner. As for price the 5227 and a Nautilus are priced around the same, and easily buyable for £17K.
Good point my friend, thank you for the clarification and my apologies if I thought you were talking about my post, just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstood. I suggested looking in other models in case a complicated watch could be of any interest for the OP and I think some of those older models aren't much more expensive than a brand new Nautilus, am I right or am I mixed up with my currency conversions?

- André Fortin
Old 9 February 2014, 03:12 AM   #26
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I say get the nautilus if your budget allows. It can be easily worn as a sporty watch and on a suit.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 03:15 AM   #27
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazen View Post
I meant sober and classy
That is hilarious! Put down the bottle please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
Good point my friend, thank you for the clarification and my apologies if I thought you were talking about my post, just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstood. I suggested looking in other models in case a complicated watch could be of any interest for the OP and I think some of those older models aren't much more expensive than a brand new Nautilus, am I right or am I mixed up with my currency conversions?
No worries, my friend. And Ive done all the maths I'm gonna do today
Old 9 February 2014, 03:24 AM   #28
JD521
"TRF" Member

Somewhat in the same 'dilemma' as the OP - in my 30's looking to get into the world of PP for the first time.

Agree with what some have said in that the term "entry level" for Patek's seems to just refer more to the price of the models. Ultimately, there are different pieces for different people.

Also agree with what most have said in that you have to try them on. Only way to truly see what looks good on your own wrist and what calls to you. I was lucky enough to try on these 4 PP's within the last week as I deliberate myself...I believe these are the same ones the OP are considering!

As my AD said, you can't go wrong with any of these. Just a matter of how much you are willing to invest in your first PP with the knowledge that most will hold their value should you have the itch to switch down the line!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2-25.jpg (96.1 KB, 1044 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2-28.jpg (82.1 KB, 1044 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2-27.jpg (80.9 KB, 1036 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2-22.jpg (79.9 KB, 1044 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1-20.jpg (108.0 KB, 1042 views)
JD521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2014, 04:25 AM   #29
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I misunderstood, sorry.

You're right about the complications, but I think a Calatrava is also very Patek.
The OP is 30, I don't think this watch will be his last PP and I think the entry Pateks are a great way to get into the brand.

Well okay, maybe I should rephrase. I think the OP should ask himself does he want a Patek just for the name? Or does he like Patek complications but can't quite swing for one yet so is settling for an entry level Patek first?

If it's the first, then by all means look into Aquanaut, Nautilus, or whatnot and pick one. But if it's the second, I say don't settle, because they won't scratch the itch, save up instead.

However, if the OP isn't sure of anything (which is a very distinct possibility), then I suggest don't buy at all.
Old 9 February 2014, 04:42 AM   #30
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
I understand your point and the desire to own a patek that has things like grande complication and the exquisite fine craftsmanship in the movement, however in a search for a "higher end" model, it is quite easy to jump to 6 figures yet find yourself only partially satiated... Even at 6 figures, you may find the model you have chosen, isn't all that desirable or collectable and unbeknownst to you has some inherent negative among the collectors who make the rules....how many and exactly which pieces are worthy of their asking, which have that perfect balance and collectibility, and of course what is the entry level price for these models... And are they available to the first time Patek customer...can you recommend the best choices here?

So this is how i find myself back at the beginning ie finding a piece i like to look at and can wear.

In simplest terms, unlike just about every other Patek, the Aquanaut & Nautilus on bracelet allow me to enjoy the luxury of thoroughly washing my hands during my day to day routine, without taking it off and putting it on the counter ... And then having my absent mindedness forget it.

As far as holding out for a more worthy piece from Patek, unless you are stopping at the tip top and at that may as well take it to the collectable arena...oh wait, these pieces should remain pristine...can i wear it???

Searching out a perfect patek and grail can easily become an out of control spiral...

I enjoy my 5167 at home, at work and at dinner with friends...for me, entry level happens to work well with practical and wearable.

Hi my name is Gus, i am a watch addict who likes to wear his watches and sometimes beat on them

subtona is offline   Reply With Quote