The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 March 2008, 04:14 AM   #1
eb641
"TRF" Member

The $9200.ad Call?

...You may remember my abortive Daytona AD call a couple months ago. The Black dial stainless Daytona had, unbeknownst to the Jared rep who called me, been promised to another "guest" by the general Mgr. Because of this irregularity, I was assued of being next on the hit list...Well, I hope when and if the call comes, I'l have the courage to turn down the new scandalous price! $7950 is bad enough but $9200 {if true} is actually laughable for a stainless watch. Does this mean that with the new price increase, a replacement stainless bracelet for the Daytona or GMTC would be around $2500? I remember {I know, old news} when a stainless bracelet went for around $35 bucks..Early eighties I believe..Rolex is pricing itself into the dilletante market and I do believe they are in danger of losing a part of their loyal customer base. Definitely pricing is now for the ascot and no socks crowd.
eb641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 04:20 AM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
You probably right that the bracelet as a spare part will see a price increase, as well.

Anyway, unfortunately it's seller's market, and I doubt that your AD would sell the SS Daytona to the old price (even though he almost ought to after having let you down last time).

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 04:23 AM   #3
JostheBoss
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMT IIc
I'd love to see that AD's face on the other side when he has to digest your "No thank you!"
Old 2 March 2008, 04:44 AM   #4
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JostheBoss View Post
I'd love to see that AD's face on the other side when he has to digest your "No thank you!"
He'll just move on to the next person on a long list.
Old 2 March 2008, 05:04 AM   #5
clbcpa
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5508
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb641 View Post
Definitely pricing is now for the ascot and no socks crowd.
I dont wear socks.. send it to me at 9200.. still better than grey market!
clbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 05:09 AM   #6
walds11
"TRF" Member

I'll still take one at $9,200 any day of the week. Send it me way :)
Old 2 March 2008, 05:48 AM   #7
dickyb
Banned

$9200 seems a bit excessive for a SS watch. I have not seen the complete new list, but I think the new price for a Platinum Yachtmaster is $9175. Makes absolutely no sense. Rolex must be confident if they think these prices will hold. If they get in a tough spot, they can always let the AD's start discounting.
dickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 05:51 AM   #8
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Folks will still pay it.
Old 2 March 2008, 05:59 AM   #9
mullman
"TRF" Member

I bought a some new bracelets in the early 90s.
SS Jubilee and an SS OysterLock. Each was well into the $5xx range.
IIRC $525 OysterLock and $575 Jubilee. The receipts are here somewhere.

I find it very hard to believe that in the 80s SS bracelets were $35.

Personally i am so SICK of all this griping the last few days.
Buy it or not, Rolex is not a necessity item like gas and milk, it is a luxury good.
Even given the current price increase, US watches are still a bargain on the global market.
10-20% increases should not cause such an alarm, IMHO.

The dollar stinks, it is what it is.
Last fall in Paris & London, a drink on the street was $5.00, sandwich maybe $10-12.
I filled a BMW M6 in Munich last year, it cost $141 at the time. Get used to it.
Old 2 March 2008, 06:06 AM   #10
mborkow
"TRF" Member

Watch: gmt2c pam372
Quote:
Buy it or not, Rolex is not a necessity item like gas and milk.
+1
mborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 06:06 AM   #11
maz

Watch: SS GMT II C
Price is never an issue....if you want the watch, you will pay the price. Look at what retailers are getting for SS Panerai's with ETA movements... they could charge 20 grand...and there will always be someone who will pay. Just the way it is with luxury goods. - Nik
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 06:54 AM   #12
watchnut
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona & TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I bought a some new bracelets in the early 90s.
SS Jubilee and an SS OysterLock. Each was well into the $5xx range.
IIRC $525 OysterLock and $575 Jubilee. The receipts are here somewhere.

I find it very hard to believe that in the 80s SS bracelets were $35.

Buy it or not, Rolex is not a necessity item like gas and milk, it is a luxury good.
Even given the current price increase, US watches are still a bargain on the global market.

The dollar stinks, it is what it is.
Last fall in Paris & London, a drink on the street was $5.00, sandwich maybe $10-12.
I filled a BMW M6 in Munich last year, it cost $141 at the time. Get used to it.
Damnit, I'm tired of this beating around the bush! Say what you feel! (I'd still rather be in Paris)
watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 10:29 AM   #13
eb641
"TRF" Member

....It's not the money. The watch can always be instantly flipped for a profit.It's just the OUTRAGE of the whole thing..Once on union square in S.F. I looked at a plain cowhide belt at Hermes for $600. My girlfriend referred to this scandal as "assigned pricing". Pricing having no relation to intrinsic value. Rolex seems to have embraced this concept rather well...Yes, the price was around $35. for a sub SS bracelet around 1980, unless I'm completely wrong on the date I bought one from Jacob's jewelers in Minneapolis...And yes ..this is possible.
Old 2 March 2008, 10:32 AM   #14
TZL
"TRF" Member

$9200 is still better than paying $12k on the secondary market. Plus I'll bet the secondary market will increase prices as well.

Prices go up over time, USD sucks against Swiss Francs/Euro so of course Rolex has to raise prices.

The price increase actually makes me feel better because I was paying CDN 9600 for my new daytona which made sense when the Canadian dollar was worth less against the USD, but now that the USD=CDN, the $7900 vs CND 9600 felt like less of a deal.

I'm hoping CDN prices didn't increase much because I have another Daytona coming in soon.

Seriously liking the YMII....
TZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 10:43 AM   #15
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
He'll just move on to the next person on a long list.
My thoughts exactly
Old 2 March 2008, 10:46 AM   #16
krlyuzh
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JostheBoss View Post
I don't think there would be a 'face'....you say no, I call another customer. Simple as that. SS Daytonas will always sell within 24 hours of being at the store unless additionally marked up by dealer. This is the reason why dealer will not take a down payment on this watch.
krlyuzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 10:51 AM   #17
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
A BMW M3 $160.000 Aussie Dollars, to me a stupid price but people are on lists waiting for one, go figure that one????
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 02:28 PM   #18
tphan
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=mullman;482695]I Personally i am so SICK of all this griping the last few days.

I do feel sorry for guys on waiting list for Rolex such as 116520 Daytona. Now it's $1300.00 then what they anticipated.

But then again, not having a Rolex on your wrist isn't gonna kill ya...so yes, its suck about the price increase but like Mullman said Rolex is a luxury buy. A Timex would do the job as well...my 14 yrs old Bulova Quartz still ticking...
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 02:42 PM   #19
boa2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
$9200 is too much for a SS watch?

How about this one, which retails for $38K...and currently sells on the open market for around $70K!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5980.jpg (49.6 KB, 428 views)
boa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 02:56 PM   #20
RolexSoFla

Watch: SS Daytona, ND Sub
Rolex will continue to sell their products at the same pace and SS daytonas will continue to fly out of the AD's even at $9200. And shouldn't be compared to Platinum Yachtmasters. Desirability sells the SS Daytona, not its precious metal content (or lack of). ;-)
RolexSoFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 03:06 PM   #21
eb641
"TRF" Member

Should be turbo-platinum for that price, but of course it's stainless steel. Why not add another sub dial to the Nautilus and charge a MILLION! Some goofballs will surely be standing in line.....Maybe I'm just getting old. My grandmother resolutely refused to attend another movie when the price of a ticket reached 50 cents...On second thought, maybe the Nautilus pictured is white gold. The couple hundred bucks worth of gold alloy would certainly justify 70k being happily forked over.
Old 2 March 2008, 03:18 PM   #22
Arturo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black GMT ll
It is all about scarcity and marketing, and making people believe that somehow they are empowered by getting a piece of the scarcity. Ultimately a big fat joke, as it is just an SS watch. (Look at that gorgeous Patek)...But the SS Daytona, is so very pretty, but this process makes a guy like me evaluate authenticity and values. I don't buy anything because some third party tells me that it is rare and is the "to die for" thing to have. If I buy for those reasons, I am as hollow as the laughing executives who set this little joke up on us all.
Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 03:31 PM   #23
eb641
"TRF" Member

VERY well said, Arturo...Amen
Old 2 March 2008, 03:41 PM   #24
ezmoney46

Watch: several
It's all about what the market will bring, if they increased another 10-15% in six months and kept selling watches then that's what the market will bring. No one is forcing anyone to buy a rolex. Right?

Just my 2-cents
ezmoney46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2008, 07:39 PM   #25
walds11
"TRF" Member

I'll take that $9,200 call all day long. No dioubt. I might not keep 'em all.

That's a nice chunk of change for me to spend on one watch, but it's my one of my favorite chronos and probably my all-time favorite watch. It's pretty darn good looking too.
walds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2008, 02:44 AM   #26
cbrenthus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my second hand
I'd take that call. I just bought 3 in the last 2 weeks, so I'm not interested in dropping $10K on a watch right now, but on the other hand I could easily flip it for a $2-$3K profit, so why not. Or I would keep it, and in 5 y years see the shocked looks on other people when I tell them I "only" paid $10K
cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2008, 04:17 AM   #27
crimscrem
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS DJ/SS GMT-IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenthus View Post
I'd take that call. I just bought 3 in the last 2 weeks, so I'm not interested in dropping $10K on a watch right now, but on the other hand I could easily flip it for a $2-$3K profit, so why not. Or I would keep it, and in 5 y years see the shocked looks on other people when I tell them I "only" paid $10K
I'm kind of in this boat having bought 3 in the past couple of months. If I got the call, I'd go ahead and buy the Daytona too and not flip it unless something drastically bad happened with my finances. I want the daytona, and as far as I can tell, it ain't getting any cheaper.
crimscrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2008, 04:43 AM   #28
True Brit
"TRF" Member

All this talk make me smile because a few years ago some would have said that $7900 was ridiculous and too high and in a few years, when the next price increase appears, some people will be saying that $9200 is a great price.

So why not relax. Buy what you like and want within your budget. Don't ever think of a Rolex as an investment because as investments go they are pathetic.

Buy it, wear the darn thing and if you have to worry if you scratch it or knock it around then you are buying beyond your budget comfort level.

PS Send me the information on the AD that has one in stock.
True Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2008, 05:29 AM   #29
DJF881
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickyb View Post
$9200 seems a bit excessive for a SS watch. I have not seen the complete new list, but I think the new price for a Platinum Yachtmaster is $9175. Makes absolutely no sense. Rolex must be confident if they think these prices will hold. If they get in a tough spot, they can always let the AD's start discounting.
Platinum YM has a platinum bezel and dial. It's still a steel case and bracelet.
DJF881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2008, 06:51 AM   #30
Ferrari Fan

People say they are so easy to flip for an instant 2-3k profit. But yet legit brand new 06/07 SS Daytonas sit unsold on Ebay with no bids for very long periods of time. I dont buy the instant profit potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenthus View Post
Ferrari Fan is offline   Reply With Quote