The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 March 2014, 06:05 PM   #1
yshia
"TRF" Member

Chromalight suspicions. (Do you own both a omega and Rolex w/ blue lume?)

Chromalight is Rolex's patented lume which they love to taut as being the best in the industry. But did you know that the dirty secret behind Chromalight is that it's actually just superluminova!

Now, the confusing part is whether it is literally just a stock version of SL or if it's a proprietary blend.

Omega uses BG-W9, a stock mixture of SL and there's suspicion that Rolex is literally using the exact same or VERY slightly modified mixture but just calling it a different name (one they trademarked).

Could owners of both watches chime in and even better, provide a side-by-side photo?

Remember for the photo:
-both watches should be in the same photo since photographic variations can distort an accurate comparison

-Exposure time should be kept modest to prevent color blooming (it doesn't need to be super bright, just needs to show off the color accurately)
+ if you have an dSLR, ideally you could take images with multiple exposure times?

-Charge time in both watches should be relatively equal.

Please help me/the community solve this, heroes of RF!
yshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 06:10 PM   #2
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
You should post this in the Rolex forum. The Omega subforum is so slow you won't get another reply before summer
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2014, 06:36 PM   #3
yshia
"TRF" Member

Noted
yshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2014, 01:46 AM   #4
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
It's called "marketing".

Both Rolex and Omega make up fancy-sounding works for innocuous materials and components to try to woo people to buy their watches.

Sorry, I can't help with your experiment...I don't own a watch with either of those materials for lume.

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
Just got an Explorer 1 yesterday and noted to my surprise that the blue lume appeared to be identical with that in my SMPc. Will get to pictures later, but they looked the same to my eyes last night and seemed to be of comparable brightness this morning.
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 01:50 AM   #6
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
Here is a quick iPhone shot of the Explorer on the left and an SMPc on the right. The color of the lume seems the same to me, but I imagine that is a matter of design choice rather than indicative of a "dirty little secret." But I could be wrong. It happened once before

Lume2.jpg
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote