The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 March 2014, 09:24 AM   #1
mogulmike
"TRF" Member

16618 F/S at local jeweler

My first post and new to the forum, I apologize in advance. Looking to acquire my 2cd Rolex and have decided on the 16618.

Local Jeweler "got one in" and I went to look at it today. Was told over the phone it was a 2008 and the owner of the piece is another jeweler who is "going out of business". Local jeweler is picking it up as he knew I was looking for a 16618. I was told it was worn only by the owner a few times. I make an appt. to come in and look at the piece.

He brings the watch out in an all wood box with "Rolex" on a gold plate in the lower corner of the open box. Inside is a green matt with a raised crescent moon for the watch to be displayed on its side. The hologram is off the back of the watch and many hair line scratches around the lugs. The jewelry owner states, "this is from taking the watch in and out of the box". The date clicks over at midnight and the movement/markers all look correct. The bezel only rotates counter clockwise. No crown on the crystal at "6" o'clock. The bracelet link pins can be seen on the outer bracelet. The S/N starts w/ an X denoting 1991. a photo copy of a model/S-N is the only item in the box (no tassel, warranty book, etc) Asking price is 13k.

I'm not sure what is going on here but a lightly used watch should still have the hologram, papers, tassel and everything else. I would think a jeweler would know the importance of having everything together.

I'm interested in the piece but not sure of a fair price based on the lack of documents. Not sure if the wood box is correct. I did not ask the jeweler to pull the lugs to verify the S/N matches the presented paperwork. Any additional questions/tests and value opinions are greatly appreciated.
mogulmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 09:42 AM   #2
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
I've purchased several Rolex watches from a jeweler buddy of mine without boxes and papers with no issues in fact the last one I purchased had neither boxes or papers and it was an M serial 16613 Sub...doesn't bother me as I know they are legit...even after a month of wearing one if it doesn't keep good time I'll give it back and he will service it for me...I would just post some pics here and we will see what you have have him take movement pics also
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Pics !

HAGWe

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Lgear080
Banned

Absolutely must have pics. Price sounds very good, but need to see it
All.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2014, 10:11 PM   #5
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Welcome and please do post some pics!

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2014, 12:39 AM   #6
mogulmike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datejust24 View Post
I've purchased several Rolex watches from a jeweler buddy of mine without boxes and papers with no issues in fact the last one I purchased had neither boxes or papers and it was an M serial 16613 Sub...doesn't bother me as I know they are legit...even after a month of wearing one if it doesn't keep good time I'll give it back and he will service it for me...I would just post some pics here and we will see what you have have him take movement pics also
Agree on paper/box points, but I do not know how it impacts the fair mkt value. If I ever wish to sell the watch, I understand the papers/box add to the mkt value (for my YM I have anchor, tassel, mint inner/outer box, extra links/pins, warranty book, orig sales order, pillow, leather sq w/ crown ..... everything).

I just don't believe the box is correct for this timepiece, as my YM is cardboard/plastic box and newer. The wood box is much larger. I have no concerns on the piece being legit or not. I guess its a trust issue and I didn't have "warm/fuzzies". The jeweler made a coment that he could melt the watch down for 12k in gold, which I found the comment a marketing statement to make me feel I was getting a good deal. My bat senses told me to leave.

I'm expecting a call from him in a few days and if I go back, I will take pics to post.

Once I verify the S/N, is there a place I can check to make sure it's not reported stolen? The jewelers story just isn't believable to me because I would think orig papers/box would stay w/ a piece belonging to a jeweler, it's worn a lot more than claimed and its not an 08.

So now for the million $ question, a heavily worn 1991 16618 by itself has a fair market value of what. I'm interested in the watch, just nervous that the orig story I'm told doesn't hold water.
mogulmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2014, 03:20 AM   #7
Lgear080
Banned

That would be cash value... And is entirely up to you.

If the watch is stolen its worth zero dollars.

It's very common that watches don't get sold without box and papers.
Frankly I rarely see full sets ever.

Without pics of the watch we can't value it. There are $8k and $22k
91 16618's. I've seen them all over the spectrum.
Old 1 April 2014, 03:46 AM   #8
datejust24
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmike View Post
Agree on paper/box points, but I do not know how it impacts the fair mkt value. If I ever wish to sell the watch, I understand the papers/box add to the mkt value (for my YM I have anchor, tassel, mint inner/outer box, extra links/pins, warranty book, orig sales order, pillow, leather sq w/ crown ..... everything).

I just don't believe the box is correct for this timepiece, as my YM is cardboard/plastic box and newer. The wood box is much larger. I have no concerns on the piece being legit or not. I guess its a trust issue and I didn't have "warm/fuzzies". The jeweler made a coment that he could melt the watch down for 12k in gold, which I found the comment a marketing statement to make me feel I was getting a good deal. My bat senses told me to leave.

I'm expecting a call from him in a few days and if I go back, I will take pics to post.

Once I verify the S/N, is there a place I can check to make sure it's not reported stolen? The jewelers story just isn't believable to me because I would think orig papers/box would stay w/ a piece belonging to a jeweler, it's worn a lot more than claimed and its not an 08.

So now for the million $ question, a heavily worn 1991 16618 by itself has a fair market value of what. I'm interested in the watch, just nervous that the orig story I'm told doesn't hold water.

If your gut is telling you something is off...I would play off that instinct...better safe than sorry, unless you just have 12k to burn...I sure as hell dont..
datejust24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2014, 04:12 AM   #9
Lgear080
Banned

Melt is closer to $6k today, but who's counting?
Old 1 April 2014, 04:20 AM   #10
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Melt it down for 12k in gold bahahaha Does this guy sell cars too?
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2014, 05:19 AM   #11
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
Melt it down for 12k in gold bahahaha Does this guy sell cars too?

HAGOne

Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote