The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 4 April 2014, 05:17 AM   #1
zeppelin55
"TRF" Member

15400st Black Face with... scratches?

So I bought a used 15400st on eBay, aka the 'bay.

Anyway, it has a couple noticable scratches and dings. The overall appearance is pretty good, and certainly something you have to get close up to see. As well, the deepest scratch is on a removable link.

I paid about 2k less than it seems you get could one in mint used condition. I think it was a pretty good deal, but I'm not sure. What do you think? I'm not quite sure how to attach images.
zeppelin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 05:20 AM   #2
Porker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin55 View Post
So I bought a used 15400st on eBay, aka the 'bay.

Anyway, it has a couple noticable scratches and dings. The overall appearance is pretty good, and certainly something you have to get close up to see. As well, the deepest scratch is on a removable link.

I paid about 2k less than it seems you get could one in mint used condition. I think it was a pretty good deal, but I'm not sure. What do you think? I'm not quite sure how to attach images.
Good deal id say, congrats
Porker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 05:49 AM   #3
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Is this the one that was sold for $11K without box or papers?
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 06:12 AM   #4
zeppelin55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Is this the one that was sold for $11K without box or papers?
I got it with a box so probably not, but no papers. It was 11k though. I'm pretty happy with it, but I obviously didn't know what it was going to look like until I got it. It has what I'd describe as probably medium wear. A few noticeable scratches, and a couple minor almost impossible to notice surface scratches.

The appearance as a watch is pretty good, I'm happy to wear it.

I just don't know about its real value as you mostly see mint used 15400s it seems.
Old 4 April 2014, 06:29 AM   #5
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
Quote:
I got it with a box so probably not, but no papers. I have 14 days to return if I want. I'm pretty happy with it, but I obviously didn't know what it was going to look like until I got it. It has what I'd describe as probably medium wear. A few noticeable scratches, and a couple minor almost impossible to notice surface scratches.

The appearance as a watch is pretty good, I'm happy to wear it.

I just don't know about its real value as you mostly see mint used 15400s it seems.
The seller didn't provide pictures? IMHO I would never buy a used watch of this type/value sight unseen, even from a (I hate using the term, but) "trusted seller".

If it was sealed/BNIB from someone I knew well, possibly. I had a big dealer try to sell me a used Deepsea sight unseen, which I passed on. He got a bit upset when I insisted to see pics. Red flag there for me.

But, if you're happy with it and the price you paid, that's all that matters.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 06:31 AM   #6
zeppelin55
"TRF" Member

The seller provided MANY pictures, just there was some minor wear you'd expect from a used watch you couldn't see in the pictures. In their description they only mentioned one flaw, and there are just a couple other ones.

So it wasn't sight unseen, they had near universal praise in their feedback, and have a no questions asked return policy for 14 days.
Old 4 April 2014, 06:46 AM   #7
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC

A bezel will cost about $6-800. If you want to replace and each link is about $130... Call AP in Clearwater to confirm all pricing.

As with the Rolls Royce motto - Quality remains long after the price is forgotten.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 07:18 AM   #8
s14roller
"TRF" Member

If you're happy with the watch, then it's really what counts.

In the future however, I'd do a search on here and see what pricing comes up.

http://rolexforums.com/search.php?searchid=10003086

First post is a white dial from a pretty well known member, asking $11.4K complete with box and papers.

Second is a black dial that a good friend of mine was selling, asking $11.5K, again complete with box and papers.

Very often people buy a watch, then post on the forum and ask if it was a good buy, etc. Ask for advice first, then purchase.
Old 4 April 2014, 08:00 AM   #9
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Just read your comment about seller having 14 day return...personally, I'd do it. The price you paid I'd expect one LNIB or very light wear.

I'd also expect it complete. No papers is a biggie for me and it will be challenging to sell it in the future without a fair discount over one with papers.

Also, 15400 would be under warranty, and with the book, AP is able to extend it another year for a total 3 yrs.

My 2 cents.
Old 4 April 2014, 09:18 AM   #10
zeppelin55
"TRF" Member

So I tried to buy two of the watches you mentioned and they were sold. Trying to look at how often they come up, it seemed like it wasn't often. Anyway, might be wrong but those were without PayPal or buyer pays fees.

My question wasn't about the deal but more about the wear and it's effect on value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 April 2014, 09:19 AM   #11
zeppelin55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Just read your comment about seller having 14 day return...personally, I'd do it. The price you paid I'd expect one LNIB or very light wear.

I'd also expect it complete. No papers is a biggie for me and it will be challenging to sell it in the future without a fair discount over one with papers.

Also, 15400 would be under warranty, and with the book, AP is able to extend it another year for a total 3 yrs.

My 2 cents.

Thanks.

Old 4 April 2014, 09:41 AM   #12
watchdog507
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Gold
I think that you have a watch that you are happy with. Albeit the watch could have been better described. All Steel or Precious metal AP's are horrible scratch magnets. Two weeks later and a new watch will have all sorts of scratches also. I would hope for full disclosure but I don't think that everyone looks at the watch that they are selling with a loupe.
watchdog507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 10:13 AM   #13
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I tried to buy two of the watches you mentioned and they were sold. Trying to look at how often they come up, it seemed like it wasn't often. Anyway, might be wrong but those were without PayPal or buyer pays fees.

My question wasn't about the deal but more about the wear and it's effect on value.

Well, again, if value is your concern, your focus should be on the lack of books...and of course if yours has more wear, I'd expect a drop in value as well.

I assure you 15400s pop up, so don't feel forced that you need to stick with this.
Old 4 April 2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Trouble15
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_NYC View Post
A bezel will cost about $6-800. If you want to replace and each link is about $130... Call AP in Clearwater to confirm all pricing.

As with the Rolls Royce motto - Quality remains long after the price is forgotten.
What is the typical average cost, roughly, when the 15400 (or any other AP for that matter) is due for service?
Trouble15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 01:46 PM   #15
Speed
"TRF" Member

Have you figured out how to upload pics yet?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote