The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 1 September 2014, 02:50 PM   #1
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
15202 advice needed...

As some of you might know I was really wanting to get a Jumbo to have my watch trio, ok now have much more but am trimming.

But Doing a little research I found that the JLC based movement, as great as it may be, has 1 slight problem, it needs regular lubrication to avoid barrel bridge wear/damage, so my question to the AP experts here and people who own this model and have had these issues, is:

1. How often does it need servicing?

2. Since it won't be my only one it won't get 100% wrist time, which means if for example servicing needs to be done every 5 years but I wear it only 4 months a year, I don't put my watches on a winder and will probably have at home my PP + Rolex for 1_2 weeks, the AP in the bank safe, and the contrary 1-2 weeks later so maybe the movement will be working 5-6 months/year, does that mean I can stretch the service delay to 8-10 years without risk or the fact that it isn't worn all the time doesn't matter as the lubricant will dry anyways, worn or not, and after sometime the lack of it will do damage?

3. At the present time if everything is ok with this model and a basic service and oiling is needed what are the delays? What is the price I will expect to be paying?

4. If I don't do the needed servicing in time and it results in damage to the barrel bridge, what will be the cost and delay for the repair?

Thanks in advance for your help as I really love this watch but wan't to know what I'm getting into before pulling the trigger.

lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2014, 10:25 PM   #2
texex91
"TRF" Member

I think you are over thinking things.

Get a BNIB 15202ST and you will get a three year warranty on it. I wouldn't worry about in detail like you are. Do you think you will keep it more than 3 years? If so, then it's a coin toss like any watch. Have no clue about service times in France, but in US 3 weeks.

Good luck.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 12:04 AM   #3
lapince
"TRF" Member

Well if I get one it will be BNIB for sure… And yes I think will keep it for more than 3 years, have been compulsively buying for 1,5 years and definitely want the PP 5712 (already at home as you know), the Hulk and still hesitating over the 15202 but saw it in real and it is a beautiful watch, but I want to wait at least 4-5 months before getting it to be sure it's not just a compulsive need like there have been in the past.

Old 2 September 2014, 01:18 AM   #4
sebastien1975
"TRF" Member

Agree with Paul that you are over-thinking it.
FYI, you will get a 5-year warranty if you buy it from an AP boutique. Only 3 years if you get one from an AD (which can be difficult as the Jumbo is a boutique-exclusive in some countries).
Probably a good idea to wait a few months to make sure this is the watch for you. The good news is that the Jumbo is not going anywhere and is not likely to be discontinued.
sebastien1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 01:20 AM   #5
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastien1975 View Post
Agree with Paul that you are over-thinking it.
FYI, you will get a 5-year warranty if you buy it from an AP boutique. Only 3 years if you get one from an AD (which can be difficult as the Jumbo is a boutique-exclusive in some countries).
This is not necessarily correct. Not all AP boutiques provide a 5 year warranty. I know the NYC boutique does, but the last AP I bought at Ginza boutique and the warranty is three years just like at an AD.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 01:31 AM   #6
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Since you have 5712/1A, I would advise you to get something RG from " AP or PP "
My 0.02 cts

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 01:48 AM   #7
sebastien1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
This is not necessarily correct. Not all AP boutiques provide a 5 year warranty. I know the NYC boutique does, but the last AP I bought at Ginza boutique and the warranty is three years just like at an AD.
Interesting. I did not know that. Singapore gives 5-year too. Not sure why they would have different policies in different countries.
sebastien1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 02:24 AM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
Since you have 5712/1A, I would advise you to get something RG from " AP or PP "
My 0.02 cts
Yeah, baby!

I haven't heard of any major mvmnt issues with the 15202 so think you are worrying too much and AP customer service is excellent and will fix any issue within a month or so.

I have had my ROC for a year now and always thought it was running 10 seconds out but I run the chronos and never really checked properly, so yesterday I gave it a full wind, stopped the chronos, and today it was only 5 seconds out so my beautiful boy's done good, and no need to send it in.

AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 02:41 AM   #9
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yeah, baby!

I haven't heard of any major mvmnt issues with the 15202 so think you are worrying too much and AP customer service is excellent and will fix any issue within a month or so.

I have had my ROC for a year now and always thought it was running 10 seconds out but I run the chronos and never really checked properly, so yesterday I gave it a full wind, stopped the chronos, and today it was only 5 seconds out so my beautiful boy's done good, and no need to send it in.

Oh behave... !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 05:25 AM   #10
1watchaholic
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Serti
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yeah, baby!

Wow that is one BEAUTIFUL watch!
1watchaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 07:56 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watchaholic View Post
Wow that is one BEAUTIFUL watch!
Thanks Gary!
Old 2 September 2014, 10:20 AM   #12
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Got my 15202 from the Miami boutique and not only got a 5 yr warranty but also the 1.5 link for free- amazing service as well!!
Love my 15202 and I am sure you will be pleased.
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 10:22 AM   #13
selpo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
[/QUOTE]

Amazing watch and beautiful photo!!
selpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 11:05 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selpo View Post

Amazing watch and beautiful photo!![/QUOTE]

Old 2 September 2014, 04:02 PM   #15
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
My 0.02 cts
I get your point completely, but even if the RG jumbo is a killer it's too much for me, really can't see myself wearing a full RG, on strap is different but the only one which is really nice is the one you have, 5712 RG since I have the SS…

Plus I live in Paris, high criminality, even if when I wore my RG Daytona I wore it under my cuff links, but in 1 year coming to live in Thailand, very low criminality, but still some, so a shiny gold watch can draw problems, and there you don't really wear long sleeves, and since I am more under the radar type, ok I am here wearing my Batman, but wearing a recognizable 10K watch is acceptable, whereas if wearing one in gold, even if they don't know the brand, is another story, if I really wanted to have one in gold would keep my Daytona, beautiful watch but once again an impulsive buy of a watch I don't need, with no date and with a function I never use, anyways when I arrive in Paris my Hulk should arrive a few days later, and as I said I won't pull the trigger on the 15202, if I do, before at least 4-5 months, it's a beauty but want to really make sure this is the one I want.
Old 2 September 2014, 09:38 PM   #16
Sir Larry Wildman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, FPJ, IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by selpo View Post
Got my 15202 from the Miami boutique and not only got a 5 yr warranty but also the 1.5 link for free- amazing service as well!!
Love my 15202 and I am sure you will be pleased.
Did they throw in anything else? Any price considerations? I know the FP Journe boutique in Bal Harbour told me if I paid in cash, everything was 3% off. Same thing with AP?
Sir Larry Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 September 2014, 09:48 PM   #17
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
I get your point completely, but even if the RG jumbo is a killer it's too much for me
I loved it when I tried one on...

diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2014, 01:48 AM   #18
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
I loved it when I tried one on...

I'm sure I would love it too, but there's the price, don't know how much but don't think I could afford it and the fact that wearing an all gold watch and not one on a strap is not so easy, even if the criminality rate is low in Thailand wearing a watch that's probably 40-50 years of the minimum wage can tempt some...