The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 September 2014, 09:10 AM   #1
warpath
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Rolex Service Dials-Why so many variants???

Seems like a good question, why has Rolex changed the dials on so many watches for so many years? Subs and GMTs in particular seem to suffer the dreaded replaced dial fate. Why didn't Rolex just use the same dial as made for the original watches with the same markings? Easier to just supply later dials that were similar perhaps. It just seems odd that RSC dials have just Swiss printed in many cases, but it just bugs me that they would replace a dial so easily without "matching" it to the model/reference as it was originally sold.

Curious what scholarship there is on this, I haven't seen any solid reasoning for the variants to date. Interesting topic for study.

“It’s better to be seen than to be viewed.”
warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Yeah, it really bums me too..

My favorite pair of flip-flops from Sperry broke after almost a decade. I looked all over for a pair that looked exactly like what I had and they had gone and changed where they stamped Sperry Top Sider at, and changed the tread too....

Oh well, what 'ya gonna do..
Old 14 September 2014, 09:34 AM   #3
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It has been extensively documented particularly on the Subs, Sea Dwellers and GMTs. Many online references here on TRF and web.

But only Rolex can say why - and they never talk.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2014, 09:48 AM   #4
warpath
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
I've seen the variants and have read up on variations. All I've read are studies on the dials without explanation why Rolex chose to even have service dials rather than the same dials for each reference. I may have missed that point, but the rationale for the action escapes me unless it was a cost move.

“It’s better to be seen than to be viewed.”
warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2014, 10:17 AM   #5
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpath View Post
I've seen the variants and have read up on variations. All I've read are studies on the dials without explanation why Rolex chose to even have service dials rather than the same dials for each reference. I may have missed that point, but the rationale for the action escapes me unless it was a cost move.
Tritium has a shelf life so if they replace a dial with another tritium dial it's still not going to glow. Rolex uses a service dial because they feel the luminova is a "Upgrade" and the lume will glow forever. They could careless about keeping the watch original. They want it to be shiny and new....and its a damn shame.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2014, 11:32 AM   #6
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
If they all looked the same, it'd make for a boring hobby.
Old 14 September 2014, 10:04 PM   #7
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
Tritium has a shelf life so if they replace a dial with another tritium dial it's still not going to glow. Rolex uses a service dial because they feel the luminova is a "Upgrade" and the lume will glow forever. They could careless about keeping the watch original. They want it to be shiny and new....and its a damn shame.
Must agree - Rolex clearly are not as hung up as regards precise originality such as dial etc. Pity though as it would be really nice to see some of these pieces put back exactly as before!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2014, 01:33 AM   #8
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I would guess that they replace them as they see fit, with the dials they use for service - precisely to differentiate them. It will stand in their records as part of the ongoing service/maintenance of any given piece, and be evidenced by the dial now in the watch, should they receive it again in future.

Also, they have used various dial-makers over the decades, and it would be almost impossible to replicate exactly what was in a vintage piece when it was originally produced.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2014, 01:36 AM   #9
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

BTW - I for one am glad, because it's evident to buyers whether a dial is original to the watch or not.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2014, 01:44 AM   #10
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
True!!!! ^^^
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 03:56 PM   #11
shou.biao.kuang
"TRF" Member

Watch: means shou biao
Icon14 Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
If they all looked the same, it'd make for a boring hobby.
x2
shou.biao.kuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2014, 05:02 PM   #12
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex Service Dials ...but it just bugs me that they would replace a dial so easily without "matching" it to the model/reference as it was originally sold...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownMe View Post
...They could careless about keeping the watch original...
Admittedly it is somewhat ironic seeing as the RSC is so anal about any changes from factory original when done by the person that actually owns the watch.
Old 8 November 2014, 01:00 AM   #13
shou.biao.kuang
"TRF" Member

Icon11 Did Rolex do these intentionally

Quote:

Seems like a good question, why has Rolex changed the dials on so many watches for so many years? Subs and GMTs in particular seem to suffer the dreaded replaced dial fate. Why didn't Rolex just use the same dial as made for the original watches with the same markings? Easier to just supply later dials that were similar perhaps. It just seems odd that RSC dials have just Swiss printed in many cases, but it just bugs me that they would replace a dial so easily without "matching" it to the model/reference as it was originally sold.

Curious what scholarship there is on this, I haven't seen any solid reasoning for the variants to date. Interesting topic for study.
Quote:
Not everyone is into the dial variants thingy. Mostly do but there is group of Rolex fans that is not "for" all these dial studies. Just ask Pedi56 (Peter). He is probably more interested in the overall condition of the watch, rarity of a particular model rather than its dial etc. than all these MK I MK II discussion...
Old 8 November 2014, 01:04 AM   #14
NukeMan
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Vincent65;5260228]I would guess that they replace them as they see fit, with the dials they use for service - precisely to differentiate them. It will stand in their records as part of the ongoing service/maintenance of any given piece, and be evidenced by the dial now in the watch, should they receive it again in future.

Also, they have used various dial-makers over the decades, and it would be almost impossible to replicate exactly what was in a vintage piece when it was originally produced.[/QUOTE
]

X2! And Rolex apparantly didnt care about details being different. Why would they?
NukeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2014, 01:05 AM   #15
shou.biao.kuang
"TRF" Member

Icon7 I'm lovin it... how bout ya?

For the majority of us, the dial variant matters and it matter loads. Many spent hours poring over pictures on the forum and internet to gather as much info as they could about a particular model that speaks to them. As much as you may hate it, this is actually what keeps a person, a collector motivated to find out more than a dial variant, how it fit into a particular era, whether be it a MKI on series xxxx or MK I dial with MK II insert etc

For me, it my kinda thing...
Old 8 November 2014, 01:08 AM   #16
shou.biao.kuang
"TRF" Member

Icon6 They are more concern about....

[QUOTE=NukeMan;5385828]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent65 View Post
I would guess that they replace them as they see fit, with the dials they use for service - precisely to differentiate them. It will stand in their records as part of the ongoing service/maintenance of any given piece, and be evidenced by the dial now in the watch, should they receive it again in future.

Also, they have used various dial-makers over the decades, and it would be almost impossible to replicate exactly what was in a vintage piece when it was originally produced.[/QUOTE
]

X2! And Rolex apparantly didnt care about details being different. Why would they?
I believe they are more concern about sales turnover than all these dial variants..