The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 30 March 2015, 01:19 PM   #1
Sixshooter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Crude Prices
Calling all guitarists! (or any musician)

So, I have been wanting to learn the guitar for quite some time now. I tried teaching myself when I was about 14 (almost 15 years ago), but quickly lost motivation as I had no one around me that played, and no way to take lessons at the time. I learned some basic chords back then, and only remember a few of them. So needless to say I am still a complete beginner. I am really interested in playing the electric, and I just bought my first guitar and amp to get myself started.

I do plan on taking some lessons, and I have heard of a few instructors in my area that have a good reputation. I have also looked into some of the online courses that go over all the basics. My question is, would I be better off starting lessons as a absolute beginner, or should I learn some of the basics from online courses, people I know, etc. before starting the in-person lessons?

I don't have any huge aspirations as a guitar player, I just want a new hobby and I really love music, so it seems like a great fit. Any advice from the musicians here on TRF for getting a guy started would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

- VC
- AP
- Rolex
- Omega
Sixshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2015, 02:07 PM   #2
bungcarlo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
If you just want to learn chords, I would suggest youtube or some online courses. Then you can advance by taking some lessons from an instructor. Save money and time.
bungcarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2015, 09:56 PM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
All the above. Learn on your own, find more accomplished players with similar musical interests, and find an instructor as well.
Good luck!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2015, 11:14 PM   #4
kaseri
"TRF" Member

If you don't already have a guitar do yourself a favor and learn on an acoustic. When you transition to electric it will seem like a toy.
kaseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 12:25 AM   #5
Rootbeer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
I'd recommend taking a few lessons to get to grips properly with the basics. I took a group class and that was quite good fun. Also, decide what music it is that you want to learn and get hold of the transcription. You can then slowly work towards that while learning the basics. Good tabs will show chords plus full guitar parts so you can start playing just chords, then move into the full correct rhythm part and eventually learn the solos and fills.

There are also websites these days that have really good tab players and you pay a one-off fee or small subscription for access.
Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 12:26 AM   #6
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060m
Wow what a thread ... interesting you post this. I too wanted to learn guitar and picked one up last May. I decided to start with an acoustic because I like the way it sounds and was told the same as what Kaseri had posted. I went down to a local Guitar Center one used for a good price - plus I brought a few people with me who play to let me know if I was buying something decent.

I started out really strong .. I was playing >1hr a night doing drills and building up the callous on my finger tips. I bought the first 2 steps of alfred's learn to play guitar books and even took a bunch of lessons - I think 8 all together. Few months later I put it down and have been playing here and there.

Moral of the story -

if you wanna get lessons - I'd say buy a decent package of them. I think some of the issues I faced was that because I only had a few, the instructor didn't know what direction to go in. I learned a little theory but my time in the lessons was, sadly, wasted. Second - There are plenty of youtubers and decent skill building books out there - so go into with an objective. Recently to get back into it I got, what i think to be, an amazing workout book - it's called Guitar Aerobics: 52 week, One-Lick-Per-Day workout. $14 on amazon. I think another one of my issues was that I didn't really know what to do and was getting bored with the exercises.
Third - once you've built up some familiarity with the guitar, find some simple songs to master - I think building confidence along the way will keep you interested... I found the James bond theme song in tab as well as the godfather theme song. I can't play them perfectly but I feel like they sound decent for my still ultra beginner skill level.

My instructor suggestion is that you play around a little bit, build some finger strength and flexibility as well as general guitar anatomy knowledge (frets, notes, notes up and down finger board) before you take lessons. At the end of the day, you need to have an objective as to what you want to do.

Hope this all makes sense
Yanks213x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 12:26 AM   #7
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Wow what a thread ... interesting you post this. I too wanted to learn guitar and picked one up last May. I decided to start with an acoustic because I like the way it sounds and was told the same as what Kaseri had posted. I went down to a local Guitar Center one used for a good price - plus I brought a few people with me who play to let me know if I was buying something decent.

I started out really strong .. I was playing >1hr a night doing drills and building up the callous on my finger tips. I bought the first 2 steps of alfred's learn to play guitar books and even took a bunch of lessons - I think 8 all together. Few months later I put it down and have been playing here and there.

Moral of the story -

if you wanna get lessons - I'd say buy a decent package of them. I think some of the issues I faced was that because I only had a few, the instructor didn't know what direction to go in. I learned a little theory but my time in the lessons was, sadly, wasted. Second - There are plenty of youtubers and decent skill building books out there - so go into with an objective. Recently to get back into it I got, what i think to be, an amazing workout book - it's called Guitar Aerobics: 52 week, One-Lick-Per-Day workout. $14 on amazon. I think another one of my issues was that I didn't really know what to do and was getting bored with the exercises.
Third - once you've built up some familiarity with the guitar, find some simple songs to master - I think building confidence along the way will keep you interested... I found the James bond theme song in tab as well as the godfather theme song. I can't play them perfectly but I feel like they sound decent for my still ultra beginner skill level.

My instructor suggestion is that you play around a little bit, build some finger strength and flexibility as well as general guitar anatomy knowledge (frets, notes, notes up and down finger board) before you take lessons. At the end of the day, you need to have an objective as to what you want to do.

Hope this all makes sense
Old 31 March 2015, 12:27 AM   #8
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Rootbeer - What websites would you suggest?
Old 31 March 2015, 12:28 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseri View Post
If you don't already have a guitar do yourself a favor and learn on an acoustic. When you transition to electric it will seem like a toy.
Absolutely agree with this advice. Learning basic chording technique is something you can do on your own. Once you get comfortable, some lessons wouldn't hurt. It really comes down to how much time you put into playing.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 01:40 PM   #10
SrFADE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseri View Post
Agreed and would also define further to a "steel string" acoustic. I would encourage you to find an instructor who likes and teaches your kind of music and wants you to play that music quickly, even if just through imitation, tablature, or simple chord progressions. There are many music instructors that will bog you down in theory, scales, sight reading, etc. and, while these are ultimately very important, initially they can become a barrier to enjoying your new instrument. One thing a commitment to taking lessons will do is provide an incentive to practice and a discipline of playing often. The guitar is an amazing polyphonic instrument and can provide a lifelong journey of discovery. Finally, as others have recommended, play with others. It is wonderful fellowship and a great way to learn.

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson
SrFADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 05:15 PM   #11
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
My 2 cents worth is to try to find someone of a similar level of experience/expertise and make a weekly date to just get together, play and swap ideas.
I have been struggling for 12 months with an Acoustic and a "Beginner's Book" and my main problem is motivation to practice on my own. If you have a regular 'date' you tend to do the practice and invariably get ideas from each other.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2015, 10:48 PM   #12
b06tmm
"TRF" Member

I would recommend Justin Sandercoe's web site for lessons or just to look up songs that you may like to learn.

YouTube is a fantastic place to see how other people play songs. Granted, 90% of them are flat out wrong, but 90% of the population wouldn't know that.
Old 1 April 2015, 12:06 AM   #13
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Wow what a website. I think I've come across him on Youtube but didnt realize he had a site like that.
Old 1 April 2015, 02:43 AM   #14
Sixshooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b06tmm View Post
I would recommend Justin Sandercoe's web site for lessons or just to look up songs that you may like to learn.

I took my first few lessons from this site yesterday. I have read on other forums that he is highly recommended and he seems like a good communicator.

Thank you everyone for the advice and tips, please keep them coming! I did already buy a electric, so starting out with a acoustic is out of the question for the time being. Although I'm sure I will be picking one up down the road! Below is a quick cell pic of my new SG just for grins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2075.jpg (62.1 KB, 186 views)

- VC
- AP
- Rolex
- Omega
Old 1 April 2015, 02:51 AM   #15
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Electric guitar tone comes from three elements
1 The guitar
2 The amp
3Pedals in between

All equally important..you have a good guitar there..Grab a valve[tube]amp pref small, 20 watts or less, and check out a few pedal gurus like wamplerpedals.com and fulltone.com and proguitarshop.com. Gearmanndude is a pedal demo guy on You Tube..fabulously informative. Tone is vital . It will keep you motivated.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 03:00 AM   #16
Sixshooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneafficianado View Post
1 The guitar
2 The amp
3Pedals in between

All equally important..you have a good guitar there..Grab a valve[tube]amp pref small, 20 watts or less, and check out a few pedal gurus like wamplerpedals.com and fulltone.com and proguitarshop.com. Gearmanndude is a pedal demo guy on You Tube..fabulously informative. Tone is vital . It will keep you motivated.
Thanks Alan. I will definitely be looking more into this stuff as I progress. For the time being I am a stone cold beginner, cycling between D,A, and E, all of which I just learned yesterday!

I have always like Gibson's for the simple fact that the majority of my favorite guitarists play one, and I told myself if I stick with this and get decent in the future I will buy myself a nice Les Paul standard Goldtop. Something to shoot for always helps me stay motivated as well!

- VC
- AP
- Rolex
- Omega
Old 1 April 2015, 08:31 AM   #17
Challenger Deep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
I picked it up when i was 14, same as you and stopped for about a year. When i had a quick lesson from my cousin who played and is a very good and talented musician(musicians run in the family) that's what lit the fire under me.

I had a real hard time because i taught myself. I struggled with building dexterity in my left hand and making my hands fit on the fretboard. I have small hands. I taught myself for the most part and only learned how to play songs which i liked and because of that, i learned how to play and figure out things because that dexterity was built shortly.

Learning how to play can be schooled or self taught, like me. I would recommend that if you want to have a knowledge of music and how to read and play with others take lessons and learn that way. Me, i listened to the CD's and read tablature, figured it out and built my dexterity and ability to play in that manner. I learned how to play difficult songs first so that when i wanted to play an easy song it would be.

I don't know the names of any scales, modes or progressions. I only know the names of 4 power chords. I don't know anything about it in the educated sense but i would consider myself a person who can play decently. Music is such a great hobby to have. Playing guitar makes it much more interesting and interactive. Playing the guitar is an every day learning experience. You always learn something new even after 40 years. That's why it's so great. As of late, i've been trying to make my guitar sound like F1 cars, which can be done but lots of work.
"I need to establish my own limits. When i reach those limits, i am willing to overcome them and establish new ones. I do not know how far i can go. I have an understanding of wht i'm doing, but do not know how far it can take me."-Ayrton Senna.
Challenger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 08:34 AM   #18
Challenger Deep
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixshooter View Post
Thanks Alan. I will definitely be looking more into this stuff as I progress. For the time being I am a stone cold beginner, cycling between D,A, and E, all of which I just learned yesterday!

I have always like Gibson's for the simple fact that the majority of my favorite guitarists play one, and I told myself if I stick with this and get decent in the future I will buy myself a nice Les Paul standard Goldtop. Something to shoot for always helps me stay motivated as well!
If you want a "real" Gibson made in the original Gibson factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan look for Heritage Guitars. They're made by the original Gibson craftsmen who did not move with the company when Gibson moved to Kentucky or wherever they are made now in the mid 1980's.
"I need to establish my own limits. When i reach those limits, i am willing to overcome them and establish new ones. I do not know how far i can go. I have an understanding of wht i'm doing, but do not know how far it can take me."-Ayrton Senna.
Challenger Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 10:06 AM   #19
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
Great topic, I to have a very similar story. I just bought a complete rig last week. I'm a complete beginner but I have the drive finally to really apply myself. Here's my new baby. His name is Les!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 10:57 AM   #20
b06tmm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneafficianado View Post
1 The guitar
2 The amp
3Pedals in between

Tone comes from:

1 The fingers

That's why good guitarists always sound like themselves no matter what they're playing.

JMHO
Old 1 April 2015, 01:40 PM   #21
Sixshooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmurphy View Post
Great topic, I to have a very similar story. I just bought a complete rig last week. I'm a complete beginner but I have the drive finally to really apply myself. Here's my new baby. His name is Les!

Nice setup Richard. What plans do you have for learning, self taught? Taking lessons?

- VC
- AP
- Rolex
- Omega
Old 1 April 2015, 02:19 PM   #22
StevePirates
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The Les Paul is a great all around guitar, but try out tons of electrics before you settle. So many freaking variables.

Different scaled guitars fit different hands (longer scales = farther from fret to fret), then there's nut width to consider (sets how far apart the stings are from one another", and radius of the fretboard.

For myself, I get along best with a straight 24" short-scale, with wide nut and a small radius, so I love my Fender Mustang.
StevePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2015, 03:41 PM   #23
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Calling all guitarists! (or any musician)

Quote:
Nice setup Richard. What plans do you have for learning, self taught? Taking lessons?

Doing both! I need all the help I can get.
I think it's a really nice set up and the guitar sound do nice new t even plugged in but you plug it in and put my buddy Robert on it and ole Les comes to life in a big way. The amp is absolutely amazing, here's a photo of the top of the amp so you can see that for a beginner like me I don't have to worry about pedals as tthey are all built in to the amp.

Old 2 April 2015, 05:25 AM   #24
Sixshooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePirates View Post
The Les Paul is a great all around guitar, but try out tons of electrics before you settle. So many freaking variables
Very true. I played around with quite a few before picking up my Gibson SG. I do love the LP's as I mentioned earlier, but I think I will wait a while until to pick up one of those. I just can't justify spending $4k+ on the ones I like when I am just starting out. I got my SG on sale, and feel like it is a good value for what I paid, and is definitely a nicer guitar than I can utilize at this point anyways!

I can see how gear collecting could turn into quite an addiction!

- VC
- AP
- Rolex
- Omega
Old 2 April 2015, 05:50 AM   #25
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Biggest mistake you made Caleb, obviously, is to of stopped playing altogether. So many people say I wish I hadn't stopped.

Even if you lose motivation, even if you think you are not getting anywhere, you've got to play everyday. Little and often is better than big chunks, then days without playing.

Judge yourself in a year, 2 years etc. Even if you think you're not making progress, you probably are.

As a adult it can be harder to learn as you want to advance quickly, kids don't mind playing simple stuff for years. So forget the boring technical exercises, scales etc. Play songs you want to, Youtube is an excellent resource, make it fun.

If you can find a teacher and want to shell the cash, then fine, but not necessary. I've heard plenty of people say they have made bigger progress outside lessons.

Push yourself with hard songs above your level occasionally. Record stuff every now and then, it's a good way of monitoring progress and pushing yourself.

Good luck.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2015, 12:37 PM   #26
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I've been playing for 40 years and can't get enough lessons. For as long as I've been playing, I should be better. I find playing with someone with like interests and abilities is very helpful. Try this guy. He's quite good: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-00...nersCourse.php

My brood. I've also got a Les Paul in it's case in the guitar room. Haven't played it in years. I'm kinda stuck on acoustic right now.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2015, 04:13 PM   #27
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba View Post
I've been playing for 40 years and can't get enough lessons. For as long as I've been playing, I should be better. I find playing with someone with like interests and abilities is very helpful. Try this guy. He's quite good: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-00...nersCourse.php

My brood. I've also got a Les Paul in it's case in the guitar room. Haven't played it in years. I'm kinda stuck on acoustic right now.

Nice acoustics! I think I'm going to buy an inexpensive one to learn on after all

Old 10 April 2015, 11:44 PM   #28
Yanks213x
"TRF" Member

Rmurphy - Don't go to inexpensive because the really cheap ones are made with plywood and as soon as you can play anything it won't sound that great and you'll want to go out and buy something better. I have a Seagull and I think it's a fantastic guitar. I got mine last year from guitar center used for 250, you could find one new for 350 I believe. If you want to spend a little less, look at Yamaha - they make decent guitars. It also depends if you care about craftsmanship .. Yamaha's are manufactured on an assembly line while seagull guitars are handmade in Canada.
Old 12 April 2015, 03:34 AM   #29
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanks213x View Post
Rmurphy - Don't go to inexpensive because the really cheap ones are made with plywood and as soon as you can play anything it won't sound that great and you'll want to go out and buy something better. I have a Seagull and I think it's a fantastic guitar. I got mine last year from guitar center used for 250, you could find one new for 350 I believe. If you want to spend a little less, look at Yamaha - they make decent guitars. It also depends if you care about craftsmanship .. Yamaha's are manufactured on an assembly line while seagull guitars are handmade in Canada.

Thanks for that very good info Yanks! I'm open to any and all advice. $350 is more than reasonable for a nice guitar. I will check them out now.
Have a great weekend

Old 12 April 2015, 03:42 AM   #30
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Search on Mike Bloomfield in Youtube. He has a way with the electric guitar......

PS: he played with Paul Butterfield, who was MY inspiration in playing blues harp.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote