The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 June 2015, 10:09 AM   #1
Daphneseven
"TRF" Member

Advice on Datejust

Hi there! New here and need of some advice before hubby purchases my first ever Rolex.

I went to several Ben Bridge and I have decided that my favorite is the 31mm SS Datejust with diamond bezel and MOP face.

My questions are:
1. Will the diamonds make this watch high maintenance? I want something that can withstand daily wear as I don't want to baby it too much.

2. The salesperson at Ben Bridge told us that Rolex will always go up in price as the years go by. Is this true for datejust? Will this watch be better bought pre-owned? I saw some online that are thousands off original price (stein diamonds, bob's watches) but I'm not sure if they are gray market or not. I don't mind it if the watch depreciates a bit after a few years, but I wouldn't want to buy a new one if the value depreciates substantially after only a year or two.

3. Ben Bridge stated that all AD will never negotiate on price. I tried searching for threads regarding this but they are dated, so I would like to know if this is the case for all AD.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before...any response is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Daphne

PS Don't know if the pic I attached is a legit Rolex or not, but I posted it as reference because it is the style I want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg datejust.jpg (79.9 KB, 240 views)
Daphneseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 10:16 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
1. Nice watch. No, the diamonds will not add anything to the maintenance, although I would not plan on mountain climbing or mud wrestling with one.

2. It is not true that Rolex always goes up in value (price), especially those with diamonds. Usually they take a depreciation when bought and then stabilize there for a few years before appreciating along with inflation.

3. It is absolutely not true that Ben Bridge does not negotiate on prices. Usually you can get a few percentage points off a precious metal watch or one with diamonds. It is more difficult to get a discount on a Stainless model though.
Old 15 June 2015, 10:23 AM   #3
Dubarzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
When I bought my Explorer from Ben Bridge they gave me a discount equivalent to the taxes. Basically they gave me a 7.6% discount, which after the 8.25% sales tax had me out the door for $6550, which was the MSRP. So yeah, Ben Bridge can discount.

Last edited by Dubarzy; 15 June 2015 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Typo
Dubarzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 11:32 AM   #4
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphneseven View Post
I don't mind it if the watch depreciates a bit after a few years, but I wouldn't want to buy a new one if the value depreciates substantially after only a year or two.
The depreciation is kind of in reverse to this

Buying new from AD it will usually depreciate my a sizeable amount as soon as you leave the dealer and you remove stickers and stop it being a "new" watch

Then as long as you look after it will probably stay around the same value
beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 12:31 PM   #5
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Personally, I'm not a fan of diamonds on a watch, particularly on the outside. Daily wear and tear for a piece like you've got in mind, I wouldn't, whether it could take it or not.

I'm no expert, but when it comes to precious metal and/or stones, I don't imagine anyone will ever pay as much for that watch as you.
Old 15 June 2015, 01:07 PM   #6
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
The fact that he's trying to BS you would maybe want to move on to somebody else... If not another AD at least another sales person.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 01:30 PM   #7
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
The diamonds should not effect your daily wear. Datejusts...especially diamond clad precious metal models will take a pretty good hit from purchase price and their price can normally be negotiated even at AD's. I tend to be in favor of finding pre-owned or grey market example to avoid as much loss. The "AD experience" has been discussed at length around here and I personally don't think is worth the financial hit when there are so many quality places to purchase good watches besides the AD.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 02:02 PM   #8
Scholar
"TRF" Member

I would definitely take a look at/contact DavidSW about what you're looking for.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Daphneseven
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubarzy View Post
When I bought my Explorer from Ben Bridge they gave me a discount equivalent to the taxes. Basically they gave me a 7.6% discount, which after the 8.25% sales tax had me out the door for $6550, which was the MSRP. So yeah, Ben Bridge can discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
The fact that he's trying to BS you would maybe want to move on to somebody else... If not another AD at least another sales person.
Thanks for the heads up re. Ben Bridge. The one we went to is situated in a high end mall maybe that's why they were trying to get the most out of prospective buyers. I am glad to know that there is definitely room for negotiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCO1 View Post
The diamonds should not effect your daily wear. Datejusts...especially diamond clad precious metal models will take a pretty good hit from purchase price and their price can normally be negotiated even at AD's. I tend to be in favor of finding pre-owned or grey market example to avoid as much loss. The "AD experience" has been discussed at length around here and I personally don't think is worth the financial hit when there are so many quality places to purchase good watches besides the AD.
I suspected this but I just didn't want to believe that diamonds are simply not worth it. I'll probably curb on the diamond options a bit...but not too much, lol.

I tend to tire of things after a few years so my biggest fear about getting a gray market watch is that it'll a complete loss vs. a substantial loss should I decide to unload it after a few years. Also, not to mention my lack of knowledge with the fine details makes me vulnerable to scammers.

Does anyone know of non-gray market online store that is consistently trustworthy? I did check this forum which ones are reliable and Bernard and DavidSW came up frequently - unfortunately both of them do not offer the specific ones I want. I'm particular about the size (31mm).

I live in the Los Angeles area. If anyone has names of places I can check out, please send the store names my way.

Again, to all those who answered my questions, thank you all for your insightful feedback/advice. They are much appreciated.
Old 15 June 2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Daphneseven
"TRF" Member

Thanks all, I am reading all your responses and I appreciate the information :)

I prefer a non-gray market seller if possible.

I'll check DavidSW - if anyone has other suggestions, please send them my way.
Old 15 June 2015, 03:01 PM   #11
wayneside
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Try Beckertime on Ebay for a pre-owned piece...they are located in Texas, so you would also save on the taxes if you picked up a pre-owned.
wayneside is offline   Reply With Quote