The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 June 2008, 10:06 AM   #1
sudeepharya
"TRF" Member

I Have NO Idea What to DO... AHGGGGG

Hi,

My wonderful wife and I are celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary. I got her a beautiful eternity band and she is getting me a Rolex although it is my call on what I want. I love the 50th Anniversary Submariner with the green dial but the green dial turns me on and off. I like two tone bands with the gold middle but need a pros suggestions. I would love any help because I am so confused.

I need help on what should be my first Rolex Submariner ever. I just want some thoughts on why you think one should be over another. I do not mind preowned my budgest is under 7000 and I would like circa 2005+

Thank you very much for your help

Steve
sudeepharya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:40 AM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

Welcome
Unfortunately the Green Sub only comes with a stainless steel bracelet.
There is a two tone submariner, but it doesn't have a maxi dial.
It really comes down to you getting the watch you like the most.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:43 AM   #3
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
This is an issue a lot of us face when having to pick just 1 Rolex. I say if you can not pick one out of the catalogue by a certain time go to the AD and buy on impulse, it is a win win either way
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 12:18 PM   #4
McGary911
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em.
I really liked the LV, but wasn't sure if it would be a very versatile watch due to the color. Since then, my LV has turned into my wristime winner.

I also have a TT blue sub, and don't wear it nearly as often. It's more of a bling thing that doesn't always suit my mood.

Can't go wrong with either.
McGary911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 12:27 PM   #5
-Subsevens
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I just got the LV. The green color is spectacular!! It really helps hi-light the features of an already amazing watch!!!
-Subsevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 12:37 PM   #6
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
I'm probably not the best to ask since I'm not a fan of any TT's...so we probably have different tastes. That being said, I've owned a SD, LV & Sub Date (which is my current watch). When comparing the LV to the Black Sub, I must admit I liked the Maxi dial due to larger lume & visibility at night, but the green bezel was hot & cold for me...some days I loved it, other days I would rather have the classic black look.

At any rate, I now have an M Sub and love it...it will hold me over until the new Deep Sea can be purchased. If I had to have only one Rolex for the rest of my life, I would opt for a SS Sub Date as I'm not into the flash of TT & I love the universal, classic look of an all brushed SS watch. It looked great 30 years ago, it looks great today & I imagine it will look great 30 year from now. The LV is great, but I don't believe it's as versatile as a standard Sub. Good luck w/ your choice, ultimately no matter what you choose I'm sure you'll be thrilled.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 12:39 PM   #7
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
You really have to love green to get the LV. Think about 20 years from now...The Blue or Black two tone Subs are great, I love my Blue. The older GMT's have the Blue/Red and Black/Red combo. Those can still be found. If not, go all Black...like a timeless, iconic Rolex (Sub or GMT).
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 5 June 2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Green Sub

I focused on the Maxi Dial. Just had to have it on my Sub. Green is cool too, but the Maxi Dial is what drew me to the LV.
Green Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 12:48 PM   #9
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Congratulations on your 10 year anniversary. My wife bought my GMT-ll as a gift for our 15th anniversary. Rolex is the ultimate gift.
I like the green sub and I like that it's a "special" for 50 year anniversary. If you like TT subs then a TT blue sub would be perfect.
Personally I think the GMT is the ultimate everyday watch but if you want a sub those would be my choices.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 12:57 PM   #10
Yagz

Watch: GMT IIc
For me it's a bit different, I debated whether I should get an LV or a GMTIIc. They both have the maxi-dial which is the main reason I shortlisted the two. I eventually chose the GMTIIc for the following reasons:

1. The ceramic bezel is just amazing to look at.
2. Upgraded movement (blue hairspring).
3. Ability to tell time from a different timezone.
4. Upgraded clasp.

I suggest that you consider a GMTIIc instead of an LV.
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 02:28 PM   #11
sudeepharya
"TRF" Member

Thank you for so many responses

I am a little confused being a newbie and the fact that I never really had the opportunity to "taste" a Rolex until now but what the heck does LV mean? Also The GMT with the ceramic bezel versus the Sub Man what makes the cearmic bezle so much better. Thank you again
sudeepharya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 02:39 PM   #12
Yagz

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepharya View Post
I am a little confused being a newbie and the fact that I never really had the opportunity to "taste" a Rolex until now but what the heck does LV mean? Also The GMT with the ceramic bezel versus the Sub Man what makes the cearmic bezle so much better. Thank you again
LV stands for Lunette Verde. It is the 50th Anniversary Submariner with the green coloured bezel.

The ceramic bezel is supposed to be more scratch resistant and has a mirror shine to it.
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 03:19 PM   #13
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
Go in to an AD and try them on and see which one you like most.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 03:29 PM   #14
badsmac

Watch: Rolex SS Sub
Welcome to TRF and thanks for telling us your real name because I don't think I could pronounce your forum name. The best way to find out what you want is to go down to an authorized dealer (AD) and try on the watches you like. I debated between the Sub date and the Sea Dweller and did not decide until I tried both on. Then I went with the Sub date. It's a watch you can dress up or down. Ask yourself how are you going to wear it. Only for dress occasions or all the time. If more for dress then I would go with the Two Tone Sub. If your going to wear it all the time go for the Stainless Steel & Black or the LV. When you try on those watches one will ( as we say here on the forum) smile at you.
Warning: when you buy one you will get the Rolex virus and this will only make you want more.
Good luck with your search.
badsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 04:51 PM   #15
Marrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Welcome to TRF. I was going to make a New Jersey joke, but I have enough enemies as it is.

I prefer SS to TT, and classic to LV. But you're already in the Rolex ballpark, so whatever you choose will be really cool.

Good luck.

P.S. Someone on here put a black bezel insert on an LV, then took a picture of himself in a black longsleeve shirt and khakis. Hand in pocket, Sub on wrist. Looked like a model in an ad, it was so good.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:05 PM   #16
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

If you really like TT bracelets and love the Sub Date, I would go for the TT Sub Date!

I'd try on the TT Blue and TT Black Sub Date and choose the one that appeals most to you.

You could also buy the "LV" and have a standard black SS Sub Date bezel insert installed on it. Keep the original green bezel insert if you want to undo the change later or re-sell the watch.

Best of luck!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 03:49 AM   #17
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
One like this?

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 04:24 AM   #18
mike
"TRF" Member

A solution?

mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 04:49 AM   #19
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
Welcome to TRF!

If you really like TT bracelets and love the Sub Date, I would go for the TT Sub Date!

I'd try on the TT Blue and TT Black Sub Date and choose the one that appeals most to you.

You could also buy the "LV" and have a standard black SS Sub Date bezel insert installed on it. Keep the original green bezel insert if you want to undo the change later or re-sell the watch.

Best of luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
A solution?

You said it much better, Mike! That pic tells it all!

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2008, 07:11 AM   #20
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
Go in to an AD and try them on and see which one you like most.
that's the BEST advice of all. it's what floats your boat in the end(and beginning too!)

i think one of the finest watches out there is the two tone GMTII ceramic bezel; look at that one for sure. not sure about price. another route is to get an older watch, and let it 'settle in'. Above all resist the temptation to 'flip' your watches at least for a year or so......you will lose money(first) and then(second) you'll miss the watch you flipped!
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote