The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 June 2008, 11:02 PM   #1
strerror
"TRF" Member

Random questions from a new owner

Firstly I just want to say thanks to TRF for all the knowledge and help here that's helped me recently in purchasing my first Rolex, a new Explorer II black dial. I've had a quick look but I can't find any answers to the following questions:

* in "normal" wear (ie office work, moving about town) what is the power reserve likely to be at? I ask because I typically take the watch off when I'm at home so for a good ~8 hours a day it's not being worn. I know the power reserve for the exp II is meant to be around 35 hours, but I'm curious as to whether wearing the watch for 16 hours will be enough to keep it charged at full.

* My AD told me that rolex recommends that you wear the watch very tight. Can anyone else vouch for this? Personally the setting I have it on now tends to leave indentations in my skin it's that tight, but the next setting means it's fairly loose, loose enough to move around. That doesn't bother me particular but I'm curious as to how other people wear theirs.

Finally, just thought I'd pass an observation as my watch is literally brand new (2 weeks ago) out of the rolex factory, but on the M series exp II the serial number of the watch is inside the bezel at the 6 position where the "rolex rolex rolex" rings around. Has anyone else noticed this or is this an attribute of the latest watches only?

Oh and it passes the wiggle test ;)
strerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:15 PM   #2
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Welcome to TRF!

Congrats on getting the Explorer II! Please post some pics!

As for the power reserve, it should be around 45 hours. Your wearing habits would be sufficient to keep the PR up at a decent level.

It is good advice to wear the watch snug on your wrist. The ideal fit for most would be a fit where you can just put your little finger under the clasp when wearing your Rolex. That makes for a not too loose fit on cold days and a not too tight fit when your wrist swells on hot days.

The RBR (Rolex Branded Rehaut) was introduced on Rolex watches in 2004 with the new Datejust style, but not all models got it instantly. The Explorer II got it in late 2007. The SD is the last Rolex to not have the RBR.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:16 PM   #3
kogoddan

If your watch is leaving marks on your wrist, I would say it is too tight. It all a personal preference. I like mine to move a bit, but not loose enough to rotate around to the underside of my wrist.

Regarding the engraved chapter ring. This is a new thing that Rolex introduced recently. Not sure when it started but I do like it!!

Enjoy your new watch an post some pics!! Everybody loves to see pics.
kogoddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:25 PM   #4
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Welcome to TRF!
Congrats on your purchase, Expy II is great watch, I had it for three years and it`s still best watch that I ever had (and I had many of them!)...
It`s power reserve is almost two full days, which is good result.
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:29 PM   #5
strerror
"TRF" Member

thanks for the responses! out of curiosity how long would you say it needs to be worn to be at full power reserve? (yes I know that it will vary depending on what you're doing, but on "average" whatever that may mean to you).
Old 5 June 2008, 11:37 PM   #6
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Well, when I am working, I wear my Rolex 13 hours a day, plus a couple of hours when I get home.

On a day off, I wear it for about 10 hours.

To stay fully wound, most Rolex watches need about 600 to 700 turns of the rotor per day (new Daytona: 900 to a 1000 turns) - ( Click to see Orbita Database). Not an activity that many would achieve.

I would say that 6 to 8 hours are the minimum to have a decent power reserve and to be sure that the watch is keeping consistantly good time. But bear in mind that it also depends on your wearing habits. An active style of life makes for better power reserve than a less active one.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
SPACE-DWELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:45 PM   #7
MrCowboy99
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF...

Is your Explorer a "M" or "Z9.." number? Sounds like you got the new movement in it if it passes the wiggle test. Some people will argue better or not on the new movement, but it's nice to have.

Enjoy your stay here.
MrCowboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2008, 11:56 PM   #8
strerror
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCowboy99 View Post
Welcome to TRF...

Is your Explorer a "M" or "Z9.." number? Sounds like you got the new movement in it if it passes the wiggle test. Some people will argue better or not on the new movement, but it's nice to have.

Enjoy your stay here.
It's a M series.