The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 July 2015, 05:43 AM   #1
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Bringing Wine to a Restaurant

At dinner Saturday night with my brother-in-law I mentioned that, on occasion, I bring a bottle of wine to dinner and pay (happily) the corkage fee. He said he thought that was "tacky". I said I only bring wine that the restaurant doesn't offer and I also bring it in a wine bag at the approximate correct temperature because too many restaurants, especially in the summer, serve warm red wine.
My B-I-L is much more knowledgeable about wine than I am but about the same as I am in our dining out habits.
When I bring a bottle with me it is typically a $40-$75 bottle which would go for $100+ at a restaurant, if they had it. Saturday night we had 2 bottles off the menu at $40/ea. I know that this particular wine we had can be purchased for $9.99 in the liquor store. A 4X markup seems excessive to me, but that's another matter.
I'm curious as to what others here think about providing your own wine when dining out. Is it rude to bring your own bottle? If so, why do restaurants allow it? Btw, before bringing a bottle I always ask if they allow it. They all do and they still seem happy to see me spend my money on their food and cocktails before dinner.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:00 AM   #2
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

I regularly do it at a restaurant in quite a smart part of London (St John's Wood), of course this was done after discussion with the owner. On one occasion (I think it was a Ridge Monte Bello Chard) the sommelier had a taste too

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:04 AM   #3
toneafficianado
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great to bring your own. That way you can be drinking a wine you love .
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:08 AM   #4
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
prefer to bring my own, but not real popular around NYC
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:12 AM   #5
cosmoliu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, ALS
I often bring a bottle to dinner, usually quite nice. If the sommelier expresses a particular interest in the label, I offer her/him a short pour. With that, the corkage fee usually doesn't make it on to the check.
cosmoliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:24 AM   #6
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

I've done it several times in Atlanta. All were special occasions, all were with wines that the restaurant didn't sell. In 2 cases my wine would have retailed for more than everything on their menu.

The most recent time was at a great steakhouse here. They had the same wine, well, same vineyard and type of wine, but mine was 3 years older and better. ;) Their version was 3 times the price that I paid and three years younger. It was probably excellent too, but...
We let the Sommelier have a taste and he was very appreciative.
I always call first if I decide to bring a bottle to confirm that restaurants particular policy.

My gf has a pretty stout collection of very lovely wines, usually better than the restaurant can offer, and it makes her happy, so we indulge. She does not have a watch hobby, or a car hobby, or a clothing/shoe hobby. Wines are really her only vice. Really good wines. Life is good.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:26 AM   #7
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
It really depends on how nice the restaurant is. For most places I don't see any problem with bringing your own wine and paying corkage. If there was a problem they wouldn't let you bring you own wine...

In nicer places I usually buy wine off the menu and pay the mark up if they have a sommelier that will help pick a wine and pair with food. If I bring my own its usually a nice bottle and I will buy a second bottle off the menu that's less expensive.

Houstons, Gulfstrem, Banderra and a couple other decent restaurants around us didn't even charge corkage for a few years but customers took advantage so they did away with it. Groups of 6+ would bring 6+ bottle of their own wine, order a few apps and take up a table for the whole night. Those people really killed a great thing. Another good restaurant around here is Cuccina Enoteca. They have a wine a great section that is classified as wine store. It has competitive prices to Bevmo and you pick a bottle and pay them $7 corkage to have it with dinner. Great deal compared to the 3x-4x mark up.
singe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:26 AM   #8
Mishon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Here in DC, many restaurants, even the high-end ones, will allow you to bring your own wine for a corkage fee, although some will have a limit of bottles per table (usually 1-2), after which you have to buy from them. There is nothing tacky about it, as long as you call in advance and do not bring cheap stuff like Woodbridge or Yellow Tail to a nice restaurant. Most "mom and pop" or ethnic restaurants could care less what you bring, on the other hand.

The Mrs. and I really like spicy food and occasionally bring a few bottles of Japanese Junmai Daiginjo or a good German Riesling with us to an Asian restaurant. People often look when you take out your own bottles from a thermal wine bag, but that never bothered us, as anyone can do it.
Mishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:27 AM   #9
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I always bring my own and gladly pay the nominal fee and nothing tacky about it.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:33 AM   #10
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I do it all the time in San Francisco ....rarely when back in France

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:33 AM   #11
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I always bring my own ans gladly pay the nominal fee.
The "nominal fee" for corkage is a deal vs. the 3x-4x mark up on the wine you enjoy
singe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:39 AM   #12
james1787
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 14060
Up until now I've never heard of bringing your own wine to a restaurant that serves wine. The only times I have brought wine to any restaurant would be a BYO restaurant that does not have a license to serve. Interesting..
james1787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:40 AM   #13
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
We do, sometimes, never thought it was tacky. Thought i was being smart and getting better wine...
Old 29 July 2015, 06:41 AM   #14
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
I never think ahead to bring my own.

My friend has an Italian restaurant / wine bar. I know that the bottle he sells to me at his cost ($10) is less than the $14 he charges for a glass.

Fortunately, he doesn't charge me at all if I drink it there. I feel bad that he won't take my money, so I don't go too often.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:49 AM   #15
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
You guys bring wine to a restaurant that serves wine and food? Ya, I'd call that absurd...
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 06:56 AM   #16
00pumpkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
It all depends on the occasion, restaurant and prices. If I know I'm going to be drinking a lot of wine and they charge 3-4x what it costs in stores then I will look into bringing my own bottle. If I'm drinking beer/whiskey and my wife just has a glass or two then I don't worry about it.

I usually do extra tip to the waiter/waitress though because they have to live too....
Old 29 July 2015, 07:01 AM   #17
Presa canary
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii
I should rescind my last post... I forgot, sometimes I bring my grandmas spaghetti and meatballs in a Tupperware to a Italian restaurant cause it tastes better.
Presa canary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 07:41 AM   #18
DPE
"TRF" Member

In England this is not the norm. We go out to a resturant to enjoy the experience of the evening. If I was not sure of the wine, then I would check the wine list before booking.
If I was trying to save money, then maybe ,or if it was a very special event that relates to a certain bottle I would ask first if allowed.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 07:58 AM   #19
wantonebad

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Often the places my wife and I choose are at least partly for their wine list so I don't do it a lot. But when we vist my inlaws who now live in a rural part of Florida I do it all the time and I'm happy to pay the corkage.

In my humble opinion the policies around corkage and a restaurants willingness to allow it, have nothing to do with their ratings or standing in the marketplace. It's simply the personal opinions of the owners/management. I've been to very high-end restaurants that allow it and some that don't, likewise for middle run eateries and I am totally fine either way. Liquor sales are how restaurants make money, so I don't begrudge them a decision either way.

As for "class" or "manners" it has nothing nothing to do with either, again IMHO, just personal preference.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 08:05 AM   #20
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

I do it all the time, not because it's cheaper, although it is but because normally they don't have what I like. The last GTG here I brought a bottle to Wynn and they had no problem charging me a corkage. I gladly paid it and the sommelier was very nice about it and even commented on the wine

More and more people are doing this as they are raising corkage here in town and California wines are getting very high in price.
Old 29 July 2015, 08:17 AM   #21
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl65 View Post
i always bring my own and gladly pay the nominal fee and nothing tacky about it.
x2
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 08:22 AM   #22
JohnAndrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800, 16803,79170
If the restaurant allows it....

JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 08:41 AM   #23
walds11
"TRF" Member

I only bring my own to BYOB establishments.
Old 29 July 2015, 08:42 AM   #24
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
I see no problem with it at all as long you don't bring a wine that is served at the restaurant.

I just wish it was more popular
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 08:47 AM   #25
steelers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I only bring my own to BYOB establishments.
As it should be!!!!
steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 08:54 AM   #26
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presa canary View Post
I should rescind my last post... I forgot, sometimes I bring my grandmas spaghetti and meatballs in a Tupperware to a Italian restaurant cause it tastes better.
You don't get out much, do you?

In many parts of the country, this is the norm and often encouraged; Napa being one of them. Its easier for a restaurant to maintain a small cellar and charge a corkage fee than to have a ton of cash tied up on inventory
Old 29 July 2015, 08:55 AM   #27
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by antNYC View Post
prefer to bring my own, but not real popular around NYC
Very few places in NYC allow BYOB.
Old 29 July 2015, 09:44 AM   #28
Jcuenco
"TRF" Member

In california, particularly near the wine regions, it's very common. This is especially true, if your cellar has better wine than the restaurant. Having said that, it's generally poor taste to bring the same wine that the restaurant has, so we call ahead or look on their website. When our wine group gets together, we make sure to tip the sommelier extra and offer pours from the wines we bring. We will also buy a bottle or two from their list.
I remember at a special bday dinner at the now closed Cyus, 8 of us brought a case of wine and bought another 3-4 bottles from the restaurant. Good thing we didn't have to drive home
Jcuenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 09:50 AM   #29
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers View Post
As it should be!!!!
Says who? Sorry but you are quite wrong and there is a reason there are corkage fees. Many high end restaurants also allow clients to store wine and even rent wine lockers. Plenty of people collect high end wines like myself and I can guarantee you what I drink isn't on any menu at 99.9% of restaurants. So perhaps you don't roll that way nor do some others here but make no mistake about it but it is 100% acceptable and widely done.

Of course most people in the real non forum world don't spend tens of thousands on time telling instruments either and think we are all insane...Just saying.

To each his own.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2015, 09:58 AM   #30
Andad

Watch: A few.
We are spoiled for wine choice in our region of South Australia with over 100 wineries within a half hour drive from our house.

We use our restaurant visits to taste new wines from the huge varieties of wines available from our region and other areas.

Many of our restaurants offer local wines by the glass matched to each course.

If you are only bringing wine to a restaurant to save money then that is another issue altogether.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote