The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2006, 06:35 PM   #1
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Rolex Oyster bracelets - unfair to some!!

Hi guys,

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Oyster bracelets. The watch just comes out of the box and bang on my wrist....that's it, no adjustments whatsoever.

But, let's take it from another perspective. Take, for example, bracelets of other high-end companies like Omega, Breitling, etc. which always provide an extra large bracelet. I usually have to take off at least 2 links off Omega bracelets and one off the Breitling one.

Which means a guy with a very large wrist...say 8 ~ 8½" would have no problems with the Omega or Breitling bracelets, but with an Oyster bracelet he would actually have to fork out around $40 for an additional link!!

Now you might argue that when a person is plonking down over 4 grand for a watch, what's an extra 40 bucks or so? It's the principle of the matter. Why can't Rolex provide slightly larger Oyster bracelets so that they fit most large wrists?

Just a thread to start up a discussion...not really all that important.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2006, 06:41 PM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Thats makes alot of sense, JJ. We can't even get a catalog or sanppy calendar like you got here in the States . It just seems like Rolex knows that whatever they do, or don't do for the most part, their watches are going to sell.

It's our fault We should boycott them . Everyone, send me your watches. I'll dispose of them for you and we'll all go out and buy nice Timex's

Last edited by C.J.; 12 February 2006 at 06:43 PM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Hi guys,

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Oyster bracelets. The watch just comes out of the box and bang on my wrist....that's it, no adjustments whatsoever.

But, let's take it from another perspective. Take, for example, bracelets of other high-end companies like Omega, Breitling, etc. which always provide an extra large bracelet. I usually have to take off at least 2 links off Omega bracelets and one off the Breitling one.

Which means a guy with a very large wrist...say 8 ~ 8½" would have no problems with the Omega or Breitling bracelets, but with an Oyster bracelet he would actually have to fork out around $40 for an additional link!!

Now you might argue that when a person is plonking down over 4 grand for a watch, what's an extra 40 bucks or so? It's the principle of the matter. Why can't Rolex provide slightly larger Oyster bracelets so that they fit most large wrists?

Just a thread to start up a discussion...not really all that important.

JJ

At my AD they provide 1 extra link free of charge (and put it in the bracelet). On the other hand, almost no discount at all will be given. Not to the likes of me that is. I bet you would get a discount because of the number of watches you buy!
Old 12 February 2006, 08:20 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
When I bought a SD in Singapore, I had to have a extra link, but was not charged for it.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2006, 11:10 PM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
When I bought a SD in Singapore, I had to have a extra link, but was not charged for it.
Same here when I bought my Sub. And I recieved a discount
Old 13 February 2006, 03:42 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
At my AD they provide 1 extra link free of charge (and put it in the bracelet). On the other hand, almost no discount at all will be given. Not to the likes of me that is. I bet you would get a discount because of the number of watches you buy!
I don't need the extra link, but boy do I get some whopping discounts!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 February 2006, 03:58 AM   #7
Rackness
"TRF" Member

i received no extra link or discount when i bought my SD and i still wouldn't trade it for the world!
Rackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 04:06 AM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackness
i received no extra link or discount when i bought my SD and i still wouldn't trade it for the world!
You only get the extra link if you NEED it....i.e. if you have a massive 8-8½" wrist like Paulie's or Padi's. However, you would have got this extra FLAT link marked "L" for LARGE with your SD.

...and this very useful screwdriver, of course!!

Old 13 February 2006, 04:14 AM   #9
Rackness
"TRF" Member

you are correct sir! i actually had to take one link out anyway which i have in the box.

so what you are saying is that rolex discriminates against those without redwood arms by not giving everyone an extra link i smell lawsuit!

Last edited by Rackness; 13 February 2006 at 04:14 AM..
Old 13 February 2006, 04:57 AM   #10
NoVaWatchLvr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
I don't need the extra link, but boy do I get some whopping discounts!!
That's probably because they are frightened of you.........
NoVaWatchLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 06:49 AM   #11
RobDad

I wear my 16610 as large as it will go, and it fits perfectly. But to be honest, I don't think of myself as being a very big guy, and it does surprise me how small the bracelet is - when I owned a Seamaster it had a couple of inches of bracelet removed!

Mind you, the Omega bracelet was a nightmare to get sized, needed a special tool etc, and used to pop open on me - everyone moans about the oyster bracelet it seems, but at least it works!!!
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 07:01 AM   #12
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Well, my moaning is about the perceived construction. On my (2000) 16610 the clasp was still made of folded sheet metal and the inter links were still hollow. Although functional and sturdy, one expects a little more attention to detail on a $4000 plus watch. The greatest innovation was the SEL, a feat long present on other and cheaper watches. But every icon has some flaws and an icon the Sub is. Yes sir!
Old 13 February 2006, 07:11 AM   #13
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, my moaning is about the perceived construction. On my (2000) 16610 the clasp was still made of folded sheet metal and the inter links were still hollow. Although functional and sturdy, one expects a little more attention to detail on a $4000 plus watch. The greatest innovation was the SEL, a feat long present on other and cheaper watches. But every icon has some flaws and an icon the Sub is. Yes sir!
You guys have to stop all this icon and ultimate Rolex talk in reference to the Sub . I was teetering between the Sub and GMT when I got my watch. Now you're really, really, really making me want a Sub
Old 13 February 2006, 07:14 AM   #14
kakalika
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub-Date
My AD gave me an extra link free of charge. I don't think I really needed it but the watch seemed a tad too tight on my wrist when the bracelet was adjusted all the way out. With the extra link added (making 5 1/2 on the 6 o clock side) I had to adjust the bracelet to make it smaller !! Go figure. At least I can say I have more metal in my bracelet. Hey if she (my AD) offered me an extra link free if I stopped looking at her cleavage, why not.
Old 13 February 2006, 07:16 AM   #15
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
You guys have to stop all this icon and ultimate Rolex talk in reference to the Sub . I was teetering between the Sub and GMT when I got my watch. Now you're really, really, really making me want a Sub
Don't listen to those bozos, Craig. I mean, really. Consider the sources - some wooden shoe clogger and a sheep lover.

You've got the ultimate Rolex - don't ever forget that. You just need to get the correct bezel color to make it the perfect ultimate Rolex.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 07:20 AM   #16
C.J.
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=Rockrolex]Don't listen to those bozos, Craig. I mean, really. Consider the sources - some wooden shoe clogger and a sheep lover.

You've got the ultimate Rolex - don't ever forget that. You just need to get the correct bezel color to make it the perfect ultimate Rolex.

Ed, if you could just get the bottom half of that bezel red, you would see it in a whole new light
Old 13 February 2006, 07:23 AM   #17
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Craig,

The GMT is an icon as well, in it’s own respect. It’s just what you want out of a watch. The fact that it’s a Rolex is an unbeatable plus. (Although I must confess that my mouth watered after seeing the movement of a 51 series Patek Philippe Calatrava. But try taking this watch for a swim). Agreed, the Sub’s design isn’t altogether original but in my view it’s the ultimate sports watch. Classic, dressy, elegant and tough at the same time. The GMT’s pepsi dial catches the eye a bit more, but hey, put on boat shoes, a pair of old shorts, a baseball cap and an Aloha shirt (courtesy of Daren) and you look like Magnum.
Old 13 February 2006, 07:23 AM   #18
Rockrolex

Quote:
Ed, if you could just get the bottom half of that bezel red, you would see it in a whole new light
No how, no way, Craig. Not gonna happen.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 13 February 2006, 07:33 AM   #19
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
How dare you call me a bozo?! It's Sir Bozo to you, tosser Bozo, the Rolex Clown
Old 13 February 2006, 08:54 AM   #20
NoVaWatchLvr
Banned

Quote:
SEL's are overrated. I gurantee you a good old fashion 93150 bracelet will take more abuse than your arm could stand attached to it's shoulder socket.
NoVaWatchLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2006, 02:25 PM   #21
Rackness
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You just need to get the correct bezel color to make it the perfect ultimate Rolex.
you do understand C.J. he means orange!

o and the ultimate rollie is a SD if you were wondering and yes you do NEED one!!
Old 13 February 2006, 05:42 PM   #22
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Craig,

The GMT is an icon as well, in it’s own respect. It’s just what you want out of a watch. The fact that it’s a Rolex is an unbeatable plus. (Although I must confess that my mouth watered after seeing the movement of a 51 series Patek Philippe Calatrava. But try taking this watch for a swim). Agreed, the Sub’s design isn’t altogether original but in my view it’s the ultimate sports watch. Classic, dressy, elegant and tough at the same time. The GMT’s pepsi dial catches the eye a bit more, but hey, put on boat shoes, a pair of old shorts, a baseball cap and an Aloha shirt (courtesy of Daren) and you look like Magnum.
You wouldn't happen to have a Ferrari I could borrow, would you? I still really want the Sub but if I get one my wife promised that I would be dead long before I hit the floor. and I'd take the Patek in a heartbeat
Old 13 February 2006, 05:44 PM   #23
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:

o and the ultimate rollie is a SD if you were wondering and yes you do NEED one!!
No, not in the GMT. I heard that Ed just got a PO in orange and he loves it.
Old 13 February 2006, 05:45 PM   #24
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Soooooo..............You're saying that you're thinking about it?
Old 14 February 2006, 12:21 AM   #25
Rockrolex

Quote:

You, sir, are itching to be banned, aren't you?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 14 February 2006, 12:23 AM   #26
Rackness
"TRF" Member

Old 14 February 2006, 02:37 AM   #27
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Do it Ed, ban 'em all (not me)
Old 14 February 2006, 03:37 AM   #28
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Hmmmm....this thread started out on the Oyster bracelet and look where it's finally landed up. Wonder which tosser hijacked it and at which point??

Old 14 February 2006, 03:59 AM   #29
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaWatchLvr
SEL's are overrated. I gurantee you a good old fashion 93150 bracelet will take more abuse than your arm could stand attached to it's shoulder socket.
The SEL prevents the telescopic pin to bend and thus come free of the holes in the lugs. But I don't know if this is a good thing if you catch the bracelet behind some object. There must be a breaking point otherwise it can become nasty. Whilst in the Army I saw a guy loose a finger when he jumped from the back of a truck because his ring got caught behind a metal strip. (Rings were prohibited). This was NOT a pretty sight The SEL makes the bracelet complete from an aesthetic point of view, but that's my opinion.

Last edited by Goodwatch; 14 February 2006 at 03:59 AM..
Goodwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2006, 04:01 AM   #30
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Thanks for getting us back on track, Frans. Mansor's informed me that the price of the SEL bracelet vs. the non-SEL bracelet is a considerable difference...like almost 1½ times more.

JJ