The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 8 October 2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Classique Breguet
2024 Pledge Member

Warning about Chrono24.com I got completely screwed

Important warning to all who would think about buying a watch through Chrono24.com

I bought a Vacheron Constantin watch using their mis-named "Trusted Checkout" from a "trusted seller"

The seller, from Italy, did NOT fill out the required CITES paperwork declaring a crocodile band, so US Fish and Wildlife has seized the package. Given I had sent a bank wire transfer to Chrono24.com because I used their "trusted checkout", I have, of course asked them to refund my money. I have no response from them other than "we have contacted the seller."

I do not expect any further response from chrono24.com and the seller refuses to respond to my emails now that they have been paid by chrono24.com

Of course I emailed the seller, no response, likely because they already have my bank wire transfer.

I emailed Chrono24 about this and all they email back is "We have contacted the seller and are waiting for a response"

Obviously there has been no response, so I have no watch and no money.

Chrono24 has NO guarantee, they just take 2% of the sale as a listing agent, and, at least in this case, provide a shield for sellers when things like this happen. Very dishonest.

Bottom line-deal directly with sellers and only use credit cards to pay, so if they do not deliver you can get your money back.

I will update this thread immediately if Chrono24 refunds my money. Otherwise, if this thread is still up, I am still screwed.

My apologies for airing negative experiences, but I think it is realllly important to warn everyone about this type of scam activity. I must advise that everyone avoids using chrono24.com

Again, if chrono24 ends up actually protecting me, the buyer from my now total loss of a very expensive Vacheron, I will immediately, within minutes, update this post.

Most sincerely,
Classique Breguet
Classique Breguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2015, 12:31 PM   #2
jvmartin
"TRF" Member

What is the Dept. of Fish and Game asking for to release the package? I had something similar happen to me based on a mother of pearl dial, but I was able to get it released... can't remember how, but I know that if you go through the correct avenues and make a fuss you can get your package released
jvmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2015, 12:33 PM   #3
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
Just wait a bit see what happens, I dont think you are completely done yet by far.
I know its tough when you end up with nothing it makes you feel sick.
A few here have gone through similar situations as have I, just need a little patience
Hope it turns out for you!

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2015, 03:11 PM   #4
cenzor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Corum Admirals Cup
The seller is probably not paid yet by Chrono.
So the money and decision is with Chrono (they act as escrow account).

I had bitter experience with them as well, paying bia trusted checkout and paying 20€ in bank fees only to receive email from the seller that the watch was already sold (again via trusted checkout) to another buyer.
I had my money returned in 7 days but I avoid their "trusted" checkout ever since. Pathetic and not syncronized process , with little protection of the interest of the buyer.

In your case, I am not sure if the selller is much to blame. Was he aware of the specific USA paperwork he had to fill?
Sounds like too many customs requirements which , if unknown to sellers, are tricky to match.
And also - whoever sized your package, shouldn't they have just seized the strap? What have the whole watch to do with the story?
cenzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2015, 01:54 PM   #5
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
What are the TERMS of the US fish and wildlife?

Certainly they can't just keep the watch....what are they requesting so it is released?
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2015, 06:08 AM   #6
Storm Central
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that. Typically it is very edgy to ship or purchase the watches with natural components (crocodile strap, alligator strap, MOP dial, etc.) from other countries. I am a novice in knowledge about it all, but I recently talked to my pal Jacob English at Sant Blanc about it.
Thanks for the warnings about Chrono24. Hope you get it all sorted out, and you can find yourself with a well endowed wrist in the very near future.
Best regards.
Storm Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2015, 12:52 PM   #7
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Tell USFW to destroy the croc strap and release the watch
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2015, 01:04 PM   #8
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
I have seen this happen here before. I think that every time the buyer gets their watch. Call Fish and Wildlife and speak to them but like some have said. It will work out.

Sucks that you have to wait so long to get your new purchase. Congrats on the purchase btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 08:38 AM   #9
artschool
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempoKing View Post
Tell USFW to destroy the croc strap and release the watch
or retain the strap until the paperwork is correct and release the watch.
artschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2015, 01:46 PM   #10
bmpwatch
"TRF" Member

sorry to hear this.....a friend of mine just recently contacted me looking for a strap for his Ulysse Nardin....it was sent with a croc strap and customs/fish and game (not 100% sure which party) cut the band off th watch and then sent the watch to him

So he received the watch but no strap......definitely a bummer but a lot better than losing the entire watch!
bmpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2015, 09:47 PM   #11
Kellokonttori
"TRF" Member

The dealer will get the money only after delivery of the watch is confirmed AND the two week reclamation time is over. The dealer doesn't have your money yet and I'd be amazed if Chrono24.com released the payment before the watch is released to your possession. The whole purpose of the Trusted Checkout is to provide more security to the buyer, not the seller. If you had paid directly to the dealer, it would be almost impossible to get your money back if he chose to ignore your emails and calls. Now that would be very bad business ethic of course, but I've seen it happen. In this case you should call the agency and ask to release the watch and figure out the strap later.

I have sold through Trusted Checkout and it's definitely intended to protect the buyer. Two weeks is a long time to wait for the money while the watch is already on the customers wrist.

I'm sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience and bad luck and I hope all goes well in the end.
Kellokonttori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2015, 08:43 PM   #12
Zoran
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 Mark 1
Any update on your watch?
Old 6 November 2015, 12:32 AM   #13
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
any update?
Old 27 September 2016, 04:27 AM   #14
Classique Breguet
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry I forgot to update this page.
After making a big fuss on the internet, Chrono24 finally recognized this bad publicity would hurt their business and refunded my money, the watch was still stuck in customs. I think the seller would have been able to get it shipped back to them without much fuss.

More info,
I had told USF&W to simply cut off the strap but they refused. It seems they were trying to build "impound fees" by keeping it longer.

When I told the agent I was walking away from this sale and I would get my money back he was very dissapointed he was not going to get any money from me. He was a real jerk.

At any rate, I did finally get my money back.
Old 27 September 2016, 04:31 AM   #15
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

So is this a problem of Chrono 24's or is it just don't do business outside the US? I would think a trusted seller and checkout from a US seller would have worked out better.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 04:38 AM   #16
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
It sounds to me that the problem was that the seller wasn't aware of the restrictions on exotic leathers. You need plenty of paper work both in the EU and in the USA for importing and exporting. He should have made his homework first.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 04:44 AM   #17
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I never trusted chrono. To me its like eBay.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2016, 08:48 AM   #18
Classique Breguet
2024 Pledge Member

I had communicated via email VERY clearly what needed to be claimed on the paperwork and the seller had understood and agreed. In the end he was just too lazy to do it correctly. And to think this happened in Italy of all places <---sarcasm...
Old 29 September 2016, 09:01 AM   #19
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I use chrono24 strictly for price checks.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2016, 04:12 AM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
The problem here is not Chrono24 but this stupid Fish and Wildlife, ridiculous, but it's a good description of the american laws and rules, some countries in Europe are not far behind, no more liberties, a ton of regulations, our western countries are not the land of the free, every little detail is regulated 100 times, just awful...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote