The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 July 2008, 06:15 AM   #1
wdrazek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
Seamaster accuracy

For the past few months I've been searching for the "perfect" watch, or at least the perfect one for me. Being used to quartz (I own a Cartier and a Tag), I love the accuracy of quartz but am being drawn more to automatics.

I know the COSC standard is +6/ -4 secs per day, but in practice what accuracy can I expect from a properly adjusted Seamaster? My hope is that I could get within a minute or so per month or 2 secs/ day.

I am interested in both the SMP line and the co-axial. Thanks for your replies.
wdrazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Cmaster03
Banned

My SMP was a second a day watch for several years. Last year it was about two seconds a day when I checked it. This was after wearing it every day for four years. They seem to run very well and Omega did a good job on regulating the 2892s in them.

The Co-Ax would probably run as good or even better, but I have no experience with them.

A buddy just bought an SMP like mine, an older "Bond" 2531.80 and it is also running a second off a day. Not sure how old his SMP is but it is running great. Another friend has the black pre-Co Ax Seamaster, forget the Reference number. If I recall, he said it averaged about two seconds a day variation.
Cmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2008, 06:24 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is no reason today why a high quality, fast beat movement, automtic watch cannot be regulated to within 2 or 3 seconds accuracy within 24 hrs.

My personal SMP with the excellent fast beat 28,800bph ca.1120 movement runs consistently at ~1.5 seconds fast.

The co-axial movements have been "de-tuned to run at 21,600bph, presumably to enable the de-coupled escapement to function, and advertise that they are more "consistent" than the non-coaxial. Consistent simply means that the variance each day will not be as great, but they are not likely to be any more accurate... They should also be easily regulated to stay within 2 or 3 seconds daily..
Old 10 July 2008, 06:30 AM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I've had several SMP's, both Co-Axial and non. Every one has been incredibly accurate and well within the parameters you're looking for
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2008, 09:48 AM   #5
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Given that your main criteria is accuracy, I personally would go for the Omega's with the co-axial movement because they are designed to last longer between visits to the watchmaker for tuning. That being said, although Omega is pretty good as a brand on accuracy, at the same time you have to take account of the fact that you are talking about a mechanical movement and they tend not to be quite as precise as quartz. While I have several automatics which are 1-2 seconds off per day, I also have one which is off by more than 30 seconds/day (not an Omega, but still has an ETA 2892-A2 movement). Sure, you can get Omegas adjusted and they can most of the time be calibrated to work within your parameters.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2008, 09:51 AM   #6
gasguy98

Watch: Omega Seamaster
When I got my Seamaster in '02 it was +6/day for the first few weeks, then settled down to +3/day for 6 years. It is now about -5/day, so I sent it in for service.
gasguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2008, 10:23 AM   #7
WJGESQ
Banned

My 300 Chrono Diver, 2225.80, has been dead one with no noticable lost or gain after 1.5 months.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2008, 11:15 AM   #8
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There is no reason today why a high quality, fast beat movement, automtic watch cannot be regulated to within 2 or 3 seconds accuracy within 24 hrs.

My personal SMP with the excellent fast beat 28,800bph ca.1120 movement runs consistently at ~1.5 seconds fast.

The co-axial movements have been "de-tuned to run at 21,600bph, presumably to enable the de-coupled escapement to function, and advertise that they are more "consistent" than the non-coaxial. Consistent simply means that the variance each day will not be as great, but they are not likely to be any more accurate... They should also be easily regulated to stay within 2 or 3 seconds daily..
Yes completly agree with Tools. Last time I checked my SMP co-axial was +1.4 seconds per day, was very happy with that.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2008, 08:52 AM   #9
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
My SmP looses about 1/2 second a day.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2008, 06:58 AM   #10
wdrazek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126300
This is really amazing. In stores and on other forums I've been led to believe that COSC was the best I could hope to achieve, except on the Rolex forums. Now I find Omega is in the same league.

I am impressed. Thanks to all.
wdrazek is offline   Reply With Quote