The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 February 2016, 06:19 AM   #1
Watchurself
"TRF" Member

AP ROO Lava (LE of 99) - Thoughts, Opinions?

Looking for a new AP and was wondering if anyone here had any personal experience with the AP Lava LE of 99. I've attached a pic for reference for those who have no idea what I'm talking about. For a do it all AP, do you think it's a bit flashy or too over the top? I've tried to find pics online, but it's hard to get a glimpse of what the watch looks like in real life.

I'm a serial flipper and wonder if I should hold out for something else. I currently have a 42mm 26170 but really want something ceramic with an open caseback (possibly the diver). My wrists are 6.25" and really don't think I could move up to the 44mm (26400) which I think is stunning - apart from the size. I have an opportunity to pick one up for a good price, and wanted the input of fellow enthusiasts. Any thoughts?

Watchurself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 06:42 AM   #2
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Will it be your one and only? The color could clash if you wear it everyday, but that could also depend on you and your style.

I had seriously considered it at one point, thought it'd go well with my Flyers hockey jersey and my hair...

I wouldn't call it flashy at all. Though if you are considering the ceramic diver, my preference would be for it: 1) its ceramic (think lava is PVD?) and 2) strap is more comfortable 3) I just like its look better.

But that me....do you actually want it, or is it in your head since it was offered at a good price...? As a serial flipper, make sure it's a good enough deal so that you aren't hurt too bad when selling
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 08:48 AM   #3
Watchurself
"TRF" Member

I also have a Rolex 116710 that I wear pretty much all the time since I don't like the bracelet on my current AP. I honestly probably only want it because it's a good deal, and because I've wanted to try a ceramic AP for some time. The fact that its n/99 also makes it a little more special since I'm likely never to see one in the wild.

My work environment is pretty casual/laid back so I don't think it would be a problem there. Have you seen one in person? If so, was the color really bright or more subdued?
Old 9 February 2016, 10:01 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If you like orange I think this is pretty cool. Prefer it to the Volcano.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 10:01 AM   #5
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Be careful as the PVD will come off in daily use. Shame as it is a nice edition.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 10:32 AM   #6
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Justmy opinion, but I think if you like thelook, you are better off sourcing for a Ceramic Diver. Never much a fan of PVD.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 10:51 AM   #7
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
If you are a flipper may want to check the liquidity of a piece like that. Also, if it is a good deal usually there is a reason - not a deep market for the piece or too good to be true. Don't chase the deal.

Agree on above go ceramic and not pvd.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 11:10 AM   #8
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
If you are a flipper may want to check the liquidity of a piece like that. Also, if it is a good deal usually there is a reason - not a deep market for the piece or too good to be true. Don't chase the deal.

Agree on above go ceramic and not pvd.
Agreed, also!

I have some experience with a Lava live...it's not super popular per se, but if you're getting it for a steal, then why not. You'll have to decide what a steal means for you, though.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 11:49 AM   #9
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Be careful as the PVD will come off in daily use. Shame as it is a nice edition.
^^ Very wise words
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 11:50 AM   #10
Watchurself
"TRF" Member

I think I agree with the majority here that it may be better to hold off for now. I realize I'm likely interested in the watch for the wrong reasons, and I'll probably become bored with it in ~6 months and wanna flip again.

Maybe just pick a day and take the time to go to the closest AD (3 hours away) to actually get some hands on experience with some other models. I'm worried that if I rush into a decision I'll most likely just cost myself more money in the long run.
Old 9 February 2016, 07:44 PM   #11
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Looks awesome! You have me going chrono24 right now! Much nicer than the Volcano IMO.
Old 9 February 2016, 10:28 PM   #12
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Ok it's nice but if it's PVD that sucks, if DLC it's already better, though I think ceramic is still better, and lighter, really a cool watch to have and wear and I recommend it as I love mine, plus on the CE diver both crowns are ceramic, way better than rubber IMO
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2016, 10:36 PM   #13
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Yes, the coating is the problem...

The plots that holds the bracelet on my Bumblebee where shot, but AP are giving me new ones free of charge on an exchange basis.
Old 10 February 2016, 06:04 AM   #14
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchurself View Post
I think I agree with the majority here that it may be better to hold off for now. I realize I'm likely interested in the watch for the wrong reasons, and I'll probably become bored with it in ~6 months and wanna flip again.

Maybe just pick a day and take the time to go to the closest AD (3 hours away) to actually get some hands on experience with some other models. I'm worried that if I rush into a decision I'll most likely just cost myself more money in the long run.
good call!
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote