The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 July 2008, 02:16 AM   #1
TaGY2K

SS Sub "M" series gain, lost seconds

Ok.. I have my SS Sub "M" for like 20 days and I only wind the crown like once just for the heck of it. From read the fourm you guys was talking about gain/lost second. So I put it to a test yesterday... I wear my watch from 10am to like 7pm then I place the watch on a side where the crown is facing up.
So, this morning I notice it lost 3 seconds.... so would it gain back the 3 sec when I wear it today? And my question is ...

1) How often do I wind the crown?
2) What is the proper way to place you watch is your not wear ...ie flat... sidewide on the crown side...etc
TaGY2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Wear the watch, don't worry about 3 seconds here of there, place the watch any which way, just enjoy it as a Rolex timepeice
Old 26 July 2008, 02:25 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
1) You should never have to wind your watch provided you wear it every day and are somewhat active.. But it won't hurt it if you do.

2) Since you state you notice a slight loss overnight, I would recommend that you place your watch on it's back with the dial up at night.... This has the least affect of gravitational forces and is the "fastest" position.

As far as picking up the extra seconds during the day...maybe. It is a known fact that a worn watch will be slightly faster than a watch that is static because our movements tend to affect the amplitude of the balance "speeding" it's rotations (ticking) slightly.
Old 26 July 2008, 02:29 AM   #4
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Good answer Larry, still prefer mine though
Old 26 July 2008, 02:30 AM   #5
ROGERB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 89 16610, 57 7914,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
1) You should never have to wind your watch provided lyou wear it every day and are somewhat active.. But it won't hurt it if you do.

2) Since you state you notice a slight loss overnight, I would recommend that ypu place your watch on it's back with the dial up at night.... This has the least affect of gravitational forces and is the "fastest" position.

As far as picking up the extra seconds during the day...maybe. It is a known fact that a worn watch will be slightly faster than a watch that is static because our movements tend to affect the amplitude of the balance "speeding" it's rotations (ticking) slightly.
I understood the newer fast beat movements were not affected the same as the older ones with the "self regulating" by changing the position, side crown down, side crown up , face up, etc... so it is believed that this method still works?
R
ROGERB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2008, 02:37 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGERB View Post
I understood the newer fast beat movements were not affected the same as the older ones with the "self regulating" by changing the position, side crown down, side crown up , face up, etc... so it is believed that this method still works?
R
The fast beat movements are not affected to the same degree as the earlier models..

The applied forces are still the same physics. A fraction of a second may not be noticed in the short term, but over time it will show up..
Old 26 July 2008, 05:22 AM   #7
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
chill and just enjoy it. get a 1 week average and that IMHO is better than looking at it daily.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote