The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Lol-x
Facilitator

GMT setting for 2 time zones?

If you are going overseas or to a different time zone, do you:
(a) set the bezel to the destination time zone before you go; or
(b) set the regular minute and hour hands to the destination time zone before you go, and adjust the bezel to your home time zone; or
(c) following (a) above and upon arrival at your destination, change the regular hour and minute hands to the new destination time zone, and move the bezel to your home or original time zone?
Is there a correct answer?
Thanks & 73

Last edited by Lol-x; 4 March 2006 at 02:45 PM..
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2006, 03:10 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x
If you are going overseas or to a different time zone, do you:
(a) set the bezel to the destination time zone before you go; or
(b) set the regular minute and hour hands to the destination time zone before you go, and adjust the bezel to your home time zone; or
(c) following (a) above and upon arrival at your destination, change the regular hour and minute hands to the new destination time zone, and move the bezel to your home or original time zone?
Is there a correct answer?
Thanks & 73
If you are talking about a GMT-II, the best thing would be NOT to touch the position of the bezel.

Assuming your red 24-hour hand is set on your local time, then all you have to do when you reach your destination is to unscrew the crown, pull it out to positon '2' and move the small hour hand backwards or forwards depending on whether you have travelled east or west.....and set it to the time in your new place.

This way you've got the new time in your new place by a direct read out on the dial and your red 24-hour hand will indicate your home time.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2006, 05:35 PM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
If you are talking about a GMT-II, the best thing would be NOT to touch the position of the bezel.

Assuming your red 24-hour hand is set on your local time, then all you have to do when you reach your destination is to unscrew the crown, pull it out to positon '2' and move the small hour hand backwards or forwards depending on whether you have travelled east or west.....and set it to the time in your new place.

This way you've got the new time in your new place by a direct read out on the dial and your red 24-hour hand will indicate your home time.

JJ

Thats how I do it It does seem to be the easiest to set and read that way
Old 4 March 2006, 07:09 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Most of watch related information is in the. Watch articles And links Information forum.

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=757

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Steve, JJ doesn't travel much beyond his home and museum so he's not the great authority on time zone travel. But for once, he's got it right. When I travel across time zones, I typically wait till I'm in the air, and then move the hour hand to the destination time. If I'm going to Europe, I usually wait till I'm close to arrival, so the date will already have changed (not that it matters with the GMT, but it's my little idiosyncracy). Then I just pull the stem out to position "2" and set the hour hand to local time. I never touch the bezel or the 24 hour hand. That's how I can always keep track of home time with a minimum of fuss.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Lol-x
Facilitator

If one takes the 2 of most important design aspects of Rolex namely, the oyster case and the double locking crown, then wouldn't Rolex say, all as you need to do is change the bezel position? This would mean that you never have to re-set the time whilst your away from home, and you are not risking damage (albiet very small, if any) to your watch by having to unwind the crown. It seems that the purpose of the case and the bezel is to give 2 time zones without the need to change the time backwards and forwards. However, if you are away for a significant time in one place then that may warrant a change to the main hands so that the main time shown is the local time rather than your home time (zone).
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2006, 11:45 PM   #7
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x
If one takes the 2 of most important design aspects of Rolex namely, the oyster case and the double locking crown, then wouldn't Rolex say, all as you need to do is change the bezel position? This would mean that you never have to re-set the time whilst your away from home, and you are not risking damage (albiet very small, if any) to your watch by having to unwind the crown. It seems that the purpose of the case and the bezel is to give 2 time zones without the need to change the time backwards and forwards. However, if you are away for a significant time in one place then that may warrant a change to the main hands so that the main time shown is the local time rather than your home time (zone).
That is certainly one way of setting the second time zone. For myself, I find it easier to read local time off the main hour hand and check home time with the 24 hour hand. I don't travel so much that I am constantly resetting the time. And when I do travel across time zones, it's usually for 3 or more days. In that case, I really do find it easier to change the hour hand to local time.

But bottom line is, do it whichever way is easiest for you. I doubt that unscrewing the stem and changing the hour hand every so often is going to wear down the parts significantly. A Rolex is made better than that.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 7 March 2006, 02:58 AM   #8
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
If your just going to turn the bezel, you do not need a second hour hand.
Just my opinion.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 03:03 AM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
If your just going to turn the bezel, you do not need a second hour hand.
Just my opinion.
Turning the bezel can make things a little more complicated. It's so much easier to leave the bezel 'triangle' at '12' and read off your home time with the help of the RED 24-hour hand after you've adjusted your watch to the existing time in your new place.

If you're making many business phone calls, you would then need the bezel to time your calls or perhaps even use it to check out a THIRD timezone.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 7 March 2006, 02:33 PM   #10
TARDIS
"TRF" Member

The third time zone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Turning the bezel can make things a little more complicated. It's so much easier to leave the bezel 'triangle' at '12' and read off your home time with the help of the RED 24-hour hand after you've adjusted your watch to the existing time in your new place.

If you're making many business phone calls, you would then need the bezel to time your calls or perhaps even use it to check out a THIRD timezone.

JJ
If you turn the bezel around the red part faces the South Pole, the 12hr hand will give you the time beyond the black stump and the 24hr hand will give you the arrival of the next flight from Fantasy Island!
TARDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 08:03 PM   #11
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARDIS
If you turn the bezel around the red part faces the South Pole, the 12hr hand will give you the time beyond the black stump and the 24hr hand will give you the arrival of the next flight from Fantasy Island!
Boss, de plane, de plane.

I think this is a nice picture of Craig and JJ, don't you?

Last edited by mailman; 7 March 2006 at 08:04 PM..
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Rockrolex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman

Why is JJ standing there wearing that rug?

Tosser Cabinet Member

Old 8 March 2006, 02:54 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex
Why is JJ standing there wearing that rug?

Old 8 March 2006, 03:36 AM   #14
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman

I hope the biggest, meanest rotweiler in the neighborhood mistakes you for his favorite chew toy today.

Old 8 March 2006, 10:09 AM   #15
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.

I hope the biggest, meanest rotweiler in the neighborhood mistakes you for his favorite chew toy today.

Old 4 April 2006, 04:06 AM   #16
ji603
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Relatively old thread, but my first post, so here goes;

On my GMT II I set the 24hr hand to GMT. That way when I travel I never need to change it. I set the Hour and Minute hand to local time, and if I want to know the time in any given timezone, I turn the bezel either clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on if I'm East or West of Greenwich, the number of hours difference between the two time zones Then read the time off the 24hr hand in relation to the bezel. Sounds complex, but isn't.

Example:

1100 west coast USA time. GMT is 1800 hours. West coast is 7 hours behind GMT. If you do it properly, you would rotate the bezel (7 spots clockwise ... 7 time zones W of Greenwich) until the dot on the bezel indicating 17 is @ 12 o'clock. (24-7=17) Then read the time on the 24hr hand vs bezel... should be pointing at 1100. Bingo. Local matches GMT with the corrected bezel.

Now say you are in China. Leave all hands as they are, and since China is GMT +8 (8 hours ahead) you would turn the bezel 8 spots counterclockwise (E of GMT) and get Chinese time by reading 24hr hand against bezel, which shows 0000 hours.

If you travel and want to stay somewhere, just change the local hour hand. one pull on the crown and the seconds/minutes/24hour still run, so you never lose time.
ji603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2006, 04:11 AM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603
Relatively old thread, but my first post, so here goes;

On my GMT II I set the 24hr hand to GMT. That way when I travel I never need to change it. I set the Hour and Minute hand to local time, and if I want to know the time in any given timezone, I turn the bezel either clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on if I'm East or West of Greenwich, the number of hours difference between the two time zones Then read the time off the 24hr hand in relation to the bezel. Sounds complex, but isn't.

Example:

1100 west coast USA time. GMT is 1800 hours. West coast is 7 hours behind GMT. If you do it properly, you would rotate the bezel (7 spots clockwise ... 7 time zones W of Greenwich) until the dot on the bezel indicating 17 is @ 12 o'clock. (24-7=17) Then read the time on the 24hr hand vs bezel... should be pointing at 1100. Bingo. Local matches GMT with the corrected bezel.

Now say you are in China. Leave all hands as they are, and since China is GMT +8 (8 hours ahead) you would turn the bezel 8 spots counterclockwise (E of GMT) and get Chinese time by reading 24hr hand against bezel, which shows 0000 hours.

If you travel and want to stay somewhere, just change the local hour hand. one pull on the crown and the seconds/minutes/24hour still run, so you never lose time.
Hi ji603,

Nice complicated way to introduce yourself! A big welcome to TRF. Hope you enjoy the madness here. Meanwhile, why not post some pics of your watch?

Cheers - JJ

Old 4 April 2006, 04:19 AM   #18
ji603
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
here it is:

ji603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2006, 04:21 AM   #19
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Very nice, thank you!!

Old 4 April 2006, 05:04 AM   #20
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603

Welcome to TRF, ji603 Great watch and pic Stick around and join the fun