The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 July 2008, 09:16 AM   #1
fikko

Questions about GMT 16710

I plan to buy GMT II 16710 from local preowned watch seller. He has A serie and X serie, both coke bezel and both complete with box and paper. Watch condition is quite similiar, say 90%. He is also asking for same price.
1. Somebody told me that I should take the X serie. He said for the same condition, an older watch should value more. Is this true?
2. If I want to know, originally this watch came with what kind of bezel, how to check?
Thanks
fikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 09:26 AM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

The X series will be tritium. A series probably luminova. I'd go for tritium, but that's just me. I can always get a luminova watch.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 09:32 AM   #3
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
There's your answer, straight from the Man.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I would usually advise that, barring hard to get models, you get the latest model you can for the same money... but there are exceptions.. as Mike says, this may be one of those.

An early "A" might be from 1997 and also be tritium, so I would look at this if it is important to you. However, an "X" is from 1991.. One is 10 years old, and one almost 20.

I would ensure they are both period correct, such as no hand or dial replacement..good color, bracelet integrity, etc...
Old 30 July 2008, 10:39 AM   #5
superdelsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6.
I bought a pre-loved late "A" series GMT-Master II in March of this year. The SN is A89XXXX and it has the solid end links, luminova, and lug holes. The watch was sold by the AD in February of 2001. I prefer the luminova because it still glows. I have read that eventually the tritium deteriorates, loosens, and Rolex prefers to replace the dial and hands so that pieces of it don't get in the works. The "A" series 16710 may have the solid end links, which most people prefer. The "X" series 16710 certainly will not. I don't know that there is an advantage to owning an older version of the same reference watch, unless you are a collector who really wants the tritium dial.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:05 AM   #6
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
The X series will be tritium. A series probably luminova. I'd go for tritium, but that's just me. I can always get a luminova watch.
I agree!! Love the T<25~!
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 12:17 PM   #7
fikko

When I checked the paper, the X serie purchased in 1991 and the A serie purchased in 2001. Both not SEL. The diffirence is 10 years, but the condition is really similiar.
To get the 'originality', is there any code in the paper to get an idea that it should come with what kind of bezel in the first place?
When I asked the seller why for the same watch, same condition, but 10 years older you sell at the same price, he said we sell the watch not the year......... what an answer!
fikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2008, 12:21 PM   #8
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
x3...That's exactly what I did!!!

~Scott
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote