The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 3 June 2016, 03:09 AM   #1
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Trade?

JLC MUT moon, JLC Geophysic and Rolex DJ2 in blue with white gold fluting for a Patek Calatrava 5292 in rose gold. I may have thrown in too much, but I don't wear those watches.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 03:26 AM   #2
Mauiguy
"TRF" Member

Are you sure you don't mean 5296? If so I can't tell you if the trade works, but I do think that's one of the most elegant modern Calatrava out there. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
JLC MUT moon, JLC Geophysic and Rolex DJ2 in blue with white gold fluting for a Patek Calatrava 5292 in rose gold. I may have thrown in too much, but I don't wear those watches.
Mauiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 05:04 AM   #3
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
I prefer the 5196G, because I think the date function ruins the Calatrava. I wouldn't trade three good watches for one, though.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 06:32 AM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
first I think you made a mistake on the ref, second if it is the 5296, I think that's a lot for just this one watch, I think you are over the price by some, don't know how much though...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 07:28 AM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

When you are trading in several watches for a higher priced watch, you are going to lose quite a bit on each of your trade-in. The watch dealer is going to want to make sure he can flip those trade-ins for a profit.

I think the 5296 is a very elegant dress watch. If it is your dream watch and you are willing to give up your 3 watches for it, it is certainly an upgrade from the JLCs and Rolex that you have.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 07:44 AM   #6
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Seems like you'll lose some on the trade (not sure how much based on your descriptions), however, you'll also have net -2 watches you'll need to pay for servicing when the time comes. Also, you won't have to deal with selling them yourself and those three aren't getting any wrist time. As far as I'm concerned, a watch that isn't being worn and isn't one I must keep, then keeping them would be the worst deal of all.
Old 3 June 2016, 07:46 AM   #7
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I meant 5196R. I think the subdial adds interest.

Sorry for the mistake. I relate to names better than numbers (Sub, Explorer, etc.)
Old 3 June 2016, 07:47 AM   #8
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I have too many watches. If I don't wear them, I may as well get something I will wear more.

Someone should invent watch leasing, so if you stop wearing a watch in 3 years, you just give it back.
Old 3 June 2016, 07:51 AM   #9
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
no no no that is a bad deal! check chrono 24 prices for your watches and then see the 5196.
Old 3 June 2016, 07:53 AM   #10
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have too many watches. If I don't wear them, I may as well get something I will wear more.

Someone should invent watch leasing, so if you stop wearing a watch in 3 years, you just give it back.

I agree with your first statement and you've answered your own question. You could press a little harder on the values though.

As for your second statement, this does exist, but it's not a very good deal at all especially for WIS divas like we are.

https://www.elevenjames.com

Good luck with the trade.
Old 3 June 2016, 07:55 AM   #11
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
Quote:
I meant 5196R. I think the subdial adds interest.

Sorry for the mistake. I relate to names better than numbers (Sub, Explorer, etc.)
That's the nicest Calatrava, IMO. But still not worth losing three watches for.
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 07:59 AM   #12
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Even if I liked the 5196 better than the ones you have (which I don't) you'd be giving up waaay too much in this deal, assuming you're looking at buying preowned/mint and your trades are preowned/mint.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 08:02 AM   #13
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I totally respect the concept of consolidation, and one quality piece beats 3 lesser ones. It's up to you alone to decide if that applies to this trade.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2016, 08:59 AM   #14
lapince
"TRF" Member

I agree if you don't wear them flip'em and consolidation is great, but seems to me this trade isn't fair
Old 3 June 2016, 01:28 PM   #15
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

I agree. I think I am over trading. Maybe I would be better off trading in two watches and adding a little cash.
Old 3 June 2016, 01:37 PM   #16
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree. I think I am over trading. Maybe I would be better off trading in two watches and adding a little cash.
Or trade three for one and get some cash!
Old 3 June 2016, 02:45 PM   #17
soundserious
"TRF" Member

I'd trade. 3 dress watches for one better dress watch. Easy.
Old 3 June 2016, 03:44 PM   #18
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Funny you should mention that, when I was in Paris I read about a company renting "high end" watches, it got my attention and I looked at it, and they weren't really high end, the retail for the most expensive was maybe 15K, basically they had Panerai, Rolex, JLC, Omega, and a few others I don't remember, I thought it could be a good idea to do as you say, leasing, but since I didn't have the funds, since none of my family or friends are into watches, and since clearly a bank wasn't going to lend me the money unless I put as guarantee a flat, thing I was clearly never going to do, I realized I couldn't carry it out, also not sure it would have worked, with guys like you yes, but the "normal" people who buy a watch for 30-50k just go to an AD and try to get a discount and buy it, but had I had the money and if it hadn't been a problem loosing it if the company failed, I would have liked to open such a venture... If a company offers me a lease on a watch and if in the end of the lease the watch will have costed me les than retail but a little more than new on the grey market I think I would consider it, you wear it and if you like it you own it, if not then you get another one, it could work with serial flippers like the kind we have here
Old 3 June 2016, 09:12 PM   #19
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
I agree with your first statement and you've answered your own question. You could press a little harder on the values though.

As for your second statement, this does exist, but it's not a very good deal at all especially for WIS divas like we are.

https://www.elevenjames.com

Good luck with the trade.
I have never heard of watch leasing, but this is an interesting concept. At Eleven James, it seems you can lease a 5711 starting at $1000/month and a AP RO for $500/month. I think the prices are quite high, but for some people it may be worth it to wear a specific watch for a few month.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote