The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 August 2016, 10:18 PM   #1
Valedictorian
"TRF" Member

Calatrava 5296G-010

Guys, I have the possibility to get a 5296G-010 at a significant discount (10%) from an AD close to me. This watch has been on my radar for a while now but haven't pulled the trigger because of a mix of personal and practical reasons, none of which have to do anything with money. Maybe the most prominent reason is that I live in a very hot and humid city (Dubai) and I was told that the leather strap 'disintegrates' really fast in this weather if I choose to wear the watch on a daily basis, which I am planning to. The AD told me that, with daily wear, the strap would need to be replaced every 8 months! I also understood it is a very fagile model, although I would never wear it during sports activities.

This watch is for my personal taste, and because of its simplicity, by far the most beautiful timepiece and I do not have any other in my wishlist (I do not like the 'bulky' 5227, nor the 'sector dial' or other gold versions of the 5296, nor the other overly classical Calatravas). Worth mentioning as well that I do not mind resale value or popularity as I would, if I ever acquire it, probably never sell it.

I do have a 5167A as a weekend watch and a lovely PAM00219 (yes, I'm left-handed!) which I rarely wear and have put up for sale on this forum.

I do not consider myself to be a collector as I think having more than 2-3 watches would not do justice to both my wallet and the watches. Also, I think owning too many watches is a bit of a decadence. We always compare the accuracy of our watches with our phones anyway, so a mechanical watch is mainly a statement of one's character, rather than a necessity.

With this little introduction, I am very curious to know your opinion (including pros and cons) about the 5296G-010, especially taking into account the climate I live in for now and probably for as long as my jobs allows me to.

I have a pic from the AD attached for you guys to enjoy, while helping to me decide.

Edit: I don't know why the picture is upside down! Can't seem to change it after several re-upload attempts :)

Thanks in advance.
Regards, V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.7 KB, 604 views)

Last edited by Valedictorian; 7 August 2016 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: Picture upside down
Valedictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 12:38 AM   #2
Tony64
"TRF" Member

if your photo is the watch you're considering, it's a colored metal and not the 'G' (white) version.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 12:47 AM   #3
Valedictorian
"TRF" Member

It's the G-version but the lighting at the AD is yellow-ish reinforced by the beige/ochre walls and the many wooden inserts.
Old 8 August 2016, 12:48 AM   #4
Samui
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
if your photo is the watch you're considering, it's a colored metal and not the 'G' (white) version.
Looks G to me
Samui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 12:48 AM   #5
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valedictorian View Post
It's the G-version but the lighting at the AD is yellow-ish reinforced by the beige/ochre walls and the many wooden inserts.
Ah, interesting lighting trick.
Beautiful watch.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 12:55 AM   #6
KarlS
Banned

8 months for a strap , never heard of that and so just change it. Make him give you a spare one! If you like it but it, not sure on the resale tho
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 05:40 AM   #7
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

There are a few owners of the 5296 here on the forum, so I hope they can contribute with their ownership experiences.

From what I hear, wearing a leather strap in hot/humid climate will lead to the strap wearing out quicker and requiring replacement sooner. It probably has to do with body heat and perspiration, but I am not an expert here. Maybe people who live in similar climate can share their experiences.

However you should ask yourself if you will be in an air conditioned environment most of the time or if you will be outside where you are exposed to the heat ad humidity on a regular basis. I have visited Dubai only in the winter and my impression is that although it gets hot, it is not as humid in the winter.

I think the 5296 is a very nice modern Calatrava. If the price is right and you like the watch, I would say go for it.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 06:08 AM   #8
RUK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,Daytona,P
For a model like that 10% isn't very significant in my opinion.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Old 8 August 2016, 12:34 PM   #9
Pangit
"TRF" Member

I live in Doha (near to you) and I am picking up my 5296G 010 in early September. I plan to use it as my daily watch as I wear a suit and work in an air conditioned office. On evenings and weekends when I am likely to be outside more I will wear one of my other watches. I have worn watches on leather straps as part of a rotation and had no issues. I think you only need to be worried if you you were wearing your watch outside a lot in the hot humid months because for 5-6 months of the year I don't see a problem.
Pangit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2016, 02:55 PM   #10
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Love them.
My thoughts?

As an owner of the same watch since May I can tell you it is a watch meant for wearing. While it is not a Sub, the 5296 can stand the daily knocks that come as a regular wearer. While mine was used, it was running at 3-3.5 seconds a day after continual wear for 2 weeks which is good enough for me. Next time I am in NYC, I may bring it by Sterns for a regulation just to see what they can do. Until then why mess with a rate that is accurate enough for most people out there and better then a lot of other watches I have owned.

There is something about this Patek that just sucks you in completely. While it is not a flashy watch, it is just "there" There is something about the presence of the piece that relies more on the owners own internal sense of appreciation rather then a "look at me" mentality. The design is so classic and so evocative of the earlier classic Calatravas like the 96 and the 570, yet with the benefit of a larger case size, an automatic movement and a date. And if you look at the watch there is so much detail in the case finishing and the dial, the dial is especially beautiful as it changes hues between a pale champagne, and a cold silver depending on the light. The slight domed crystal creates an effect that is reminiscent of the great Pateks from the 60's...

As far as the strap issue in a humid climate is concerned, this is a legitimate concern. My AD threw another strap as I needed an XL size anyway. DC is disgusting in the Summer. So what I did was order a strap from ABP and Camille Fournet, both of whom have made OEM straps for Patek, in a Croc skin with a leather/rubber lining. This solves the strap in the heat issue to the point where you have a watch that is practically wearable 7 days a week.

As far as the price goes, 10% off from an AD in this country is a pretty good deal. I love this watch and actually miss it when I am not wearing it.
NoVaSubowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2016, 02:09 AM   #11
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I love Calatravas and say get it.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2016, 02:24 AM   #12
Valedictorian
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaSubowner View Post
My thoughts?

As an owner of the same watch since May I can tell you it is a watch meant for wearing. While it is not a Sub, the 5296 can stand the daily knocks that come as a regular wearer. While mine was used, it was running at 3-3.5 seconds a day after continual wear for 2 weeks which is good enough for me. Next time I am in NYC, I may bring it by Sterns for a regulation just to see what they can do. Until then why mess with a rate that is accurate enough for most people out there and better then a lot of other watches I have owned.

There is something about this Patek that just sucks you in completely. While it is not a flashy watch, it is just "there" There is something about the presence of the piece that relies more on the owners own internal sense of appreciation rather then a "look at me" mentality. The design is so classic and so evocative of the earlier classic Calatravas like the 96 and the 570, yet with the benefit of a larger case size, an automatic movement and a date. And if you look at the watch there is so much detail in the case finishing and the dial, the dial is especially beautiful as it changes hues between a pale champagne, and a cold silver depending on the light. The slight domed crystal creates an effect that is reminiscent of the great Pateks from the 60's...

As far as the strap issue in a humid climate is concerned, this is a legitimate concern. My AD threw another strap as I needed an XL size anyway. DC is disgusting in the Summer. So what I did was order a strap from ABP and Camille Fournet, both of whom have made OEM straps for Patek, in a Croc skin with a leather/rubber lining. This solves the strap in the heat issue to the point where you have a watch that is practically wearable 7 days a week.

As far as the price goes, 10% off from an AD in this country is a pretty good deal. I love this watch and actually miss it when I am not wearing it.

Great post, thanks for the elaboration. I do feel the same in terms of subtility and staying 'under the radar'.

I have actually looked into adding a few Camille Fournet straps with the 'rubber calf leather' lining but since they have no pictures of what they meant with that, I was hoping someone in this forum would know.

Would you mind posting some pictures of the lining itself? I am curious how they blend leather and rubber together. I have seen the rubber-leather straps from Hublot, but those are basically rubber straps with a layer of leather stitched onto it, which looks beautiful for a sports watch but not suit a standard dress watch.

I agree that a 10% discount for this watch is pretty good. The AD here, which is actually a single-brand Patek Boutique, usually gives zero discounts unless you are a recurring customer. I do not consider myself a recurring customer but I did purchase the 5167A from them a while back.
Old 9 August 2016, 05:23 AM   #13
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Calatravas are great. Definitely get it!
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2016, 12:34 PM   #14
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Love the classic look, truly timeless.
Old 11 August 2016, 04:15 AM   #15
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

Icon11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valedictorian View Post
Great post, thanks for the elaboration. I do feel the same in terms of subtility and staying 'under the radar'.

I have actually looked into adding a few Camille Fournet straps with the 'rubber calf leather' lining but since they have no pictures of what they meant with that, I was hoping someone in this forum would know.

Would you mind posting some pictures of the lining itself? I am curious how they blend leather and rubber together. I have seen the rubber-leather straps from Hublot, but those are basically rubber straps with a layer of leather stitched onto it, which looks beautiful for a sports watch but not suit a standard dress watch.

I agree that a 10% discount for this watch is pretty good. The AD here, which is actually a single-brand Patek Boutique, usually gives zero discounts unless you are a recurring customer. I do not consider myself a recurring customer but I did purchase the 5167A from them a while back.
Bad IPhone pics here. Basically the lining is the rubberized part. This is an ABP in black small grain croc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.7 KB, 382 views)
Old 11 August 2016, 05:16 AM   #16
Valedictorian
"TRF" Member

Thanks, is that actually rubber or some kind of blend with leather? I'm talking about the lining only.
Old 11 August 2016, 05:48 AM   #17
NoVaSubowner
"TRF" Member

It's a rubber/leather blend. Mostly rubber as far as I can tell. That is the lining of the ABP. When I get the Camille Fournet I suspect the lining will be identical.
Old 11 August 2016, 07:03 AM   #18
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Had one of these and flipped it the next month. Leather and I don't get along.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2016, 03:16 PM   #19
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Go for it

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 01:30 PM   #20
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
How has it turned out for you...did you get it?
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5296g , 5296g-010 , calatrava