The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 September 2016, 12:28 PM   #1
ragna93
Banned

Brand reputation Blancpain vs Jaeger

Hello guys,

I know Blancpain is the oldest watch brand, but some say its reputation is too overvalued considering its discontinued operations. I am deciding between purchasing Jaeger and Blancpain, and was curious about their name value.

Thanks.
ragna93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 01:40 PM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
For me they are both at the same level, maybe BP is a little undervalued, but they make many high complications watches, the Bathyscaphe and FF lines.

JLC makes many different ones and are a great brand, love their Duomètre models, amazing watches...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 01:50 PM   #3
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Jaeger has more cred as a maker of movements, with a big library of calibers.

Blancpain makes some very nice watches, too.

I think JLC has a little more reputation as a watchermaker's watchmaker. But, you know, they are mostly on the same level (with the idea of "levels" among watch brands being completely dumb).

It's really about a given watch, not a watch brand.

An Omega central tourbillon is at a way, way, way higher level of horology than a Patek quartz watch. So, Omega is better than Patek Phillippe. Just keep repeating this argument anytime anyone touts PP, it's fun and people get soooo mad. Of course, it's just to show that a person touting a brand as "the best" without realizing that this is a misleading shorthand is setting themselves up to be made fun of.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 01:57 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I give jlc the advantage over BP. Both top brands though and I like certain references from each manufacture.

(Neither hold resale just to be sure that isn't what you ask, and I gather it's not the question.)
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 06:46 PM   #5
regnant
"TRF" Member

Blancpain also boasts about not making a quartz movement in their products. JAEGER-LECOULTRE definitely brings innovations on the table too.
I think Jaeger-LeCoultre should edge the Blancpain. Blancpain also sponsors of the GT CUP series, they invest in advertisement but I see Jaeger-LeCoultre adds on the mags too
Old 13 September 2016, 07:51 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

for a sports watch? blancpain.

for a dressier watch? JLC.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 12:18 AM   #7
tigerpac
"TRF" Member

Both have some interesting history and make good watches. I've got watches from both and enjoy them.

JLC was known traditionally as a movement maker and has great technical prowess.

BP upon resurrection is also pretty interesting. They were among the first to bring back new mechanical complications after the quartz crisis.

http://www.timezone.com/2002/09/17/b...t-works-61500/
tigerpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 03:14 AM   #8
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

JLC is more interesting for me. More watchmaking heritage. I think Blancpain is more a product of Biver's guidance than standing on its heritage alone. Just a personal opinion.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 03:46 AM   #9
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Love JLC for dress watches as was stated earlier. Can't go wrong with a classic Reverso. Their pricing is also more attainable. HOWEVER, the BP FF is an absolute classic as well that is most definitely on my radar. I have the Bathyscaphe chronograph that is one of my all time favorite watches of any brand hat I have owned. So, IMHO for dress go JLC sports go BP.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 12:33 PM   #10
osamu
"TRF" Member

Obviously I am not any historical horological expert, but I always felt like Blancpain is most famous for the diver. JLC is most famous for their dress watches. If buying a diver I would go Blancpain all day, if anything else probably JLC. And just to throw it out there, if a chronograph, I would buy a zenith.
osamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:48 PM   #11
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
The brands are on the same step, but I highly recommend comparing the models that you may like side by side. Blancpain dress models win in terms of the attention to detail, IMHO. However, you cannot deny that JLC is special in its own light.
vman is offline   Reply With Quote