The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 25 October 2016, 12:45 AM   #1
bf76
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Thinking on selling my 2531.80 Bond. Will I regret it later on?

Hi gents.

Since I got my 14060M, I keep thinking about selling my 2531.80 Bond Seamaster...
My 14060M will be my daily beater. I'm afraid the Omega will go stay in the drawer most of the days.
What do you think? Anyone has sold theirs and regretted it afterwards?
bf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 04:09 AM   #2
WJGESQ
Banned

I'd have to think that model would be a keep if life permits.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 05:12 AM   #3
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I've had 3, or 4, can't recall. It was my first "good watch" that I unfortunately traded towards a Sub. should have kept it.

I was able to find a nearly NOS one last year which doesn't get worn much but is a keeper.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 05:21 AM   #4
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
A blue SMPc was my first "good" watch as well. I just traded it on a mint 16610. I originally got it to carry on the legacy of every man in my family having a Seamaster (both grandfathers and father had/have them). Ultimately, I realized I was in love with the idea more than the watch and would cherish their vintage pieces (which I will get one day) much more than a modern SMPc.

Also, their Seamasters are dress watches, so the dive watch shared little in terms of legacy with them.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 05:30 AM   #5
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I honestly think you'll regret doing so. It's a great watch to have and I like the fact it was a Bond piece. In your shoes I would keep both, regardless to wrist time. When you're bored in the future or simply feel the need to appreciate it, the watch will be right there waiting.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 05:31 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Most likely...yep....it's a classic in its own right.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 10:41 AM   #7
Ronin78
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 14060
I had one and had to sell it almost ten years ago. Still miss it but it my case it went to a good friend who appreciates and enjoys it even today.

It's absolutely a wonderful piece and one day I'll add another to my collection.

I would keep it.
Ronin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 11:59 AM   #8
htbilgic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Doxa Pro 300 NoT
You will most probably miss it.

I had the quartz version of that watch. And even though I don’t like quartz watches anymore (the only quartz in my collection is the vintage Seiko golden tuna, 600m), I still miss that Omega.
htbilgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 12:49 PM   #9
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

You will miss it. It's a relatively modern classic.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2016, 08:34 PM   #10
bf76
"TRF" Member

Thanks gents, I need to think about it then.
Old 25 October 2016, 11:32 PM   #11
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Another one jumping on the, "you'll miss it" bandwagon. Don't do it!

(The fact you're describing it as a Bond watch suggests you're a Bond fan. Reason enough to hold on to it)
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2016, 02:41 AM   #12
bf76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
Another one jumping on the, "you'll miss it" bandwagon. Don't do it!

(The fact you're describing it as a Bond watch suggests you're a Bond fan. Reason enough to hold on to it)
Well, ironically, I love Sean Connery's Bond and despise Pierce Brosnan's... go figure!
Actually I didn't get this Omega because of Bond, although that's a nice "detail". I like pretty much everything in it - the skeleton hands, the bezel, the lume, the lovely wave pattern dial, being COSC...
Lately, with my 14060M I saw some similarities (I should be under influence of same strange substance at the time) and thought "these 2 look a like, I better sell the Omega, why should I have 2 similar watches", but now, I'm thinking each has its own soul...
Old 26 October 2016, 04:17 AM   #13
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

I personally consider the SMPc to be one of the few true "tool watches" left you can buy (from Switzerland). I would keep it.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2016, 04:19 AM   #14
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf76 View Post
Well, ironically, I love Sean Connery's Bond and despise Pierce Brosnan's... go figure!
Actually I didn't get this Omega because of Bond, although that's a nice "detail". I like pretty much everything in it - the skeleton hands, the bezel, the lume, the lovely wave pattern dial, being COSC...
Lately, with my 14060M I saw some similarities (I should be under influence of same strange substance at the time) and thought "these 2 look a like, I better sell the Omega, why should I have 2 similar watches", but now, I'm thinking each has its own soul...
I'm in the Connery camp too.

I'm not quite in your fortunate postition in that I have a Seamaster but not a Sub however I would love to have both at some stage. Beyond the different Bond connotations, they're both very beautiful for different reasons (entirely subjective but hey... we're here!). I would say hold on to it unless you need to raise funds. It's always something nice to add depth to your collection (all puns intended)
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2016, 05:57 AM   #15
JeremyS
"TRF" Member

There's also some versatility to it. I took mine to the botique a while back--it's a newer ceramic coaxial version because I'm a fool and sold the original years ago. Regardless, they still have a rubber dive strap and clasp option, as well as a dressier rubber strap with a deployant clasp. And a NATO strap. These make for some fun options to change up how you wear the watch.
JeremyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2016, 07:51 PM   #16
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
I would keep it if you can. You clearly love the watch. I can guarantee that you will miss it at a later date and wish you had not flipped it. If you have to part with it for financial reasons then fair enough - short of this I always think we should try to keep our treasures for as long as possible, even when boredom sets in.
Old 27 October 2016, 07:34 AM   #17
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf76 View Post
I'm a lot like that, too. Brosnan was never my favourite Bond actor but I did like the movies he was in. Regarding the watch, I had the 2220.80 years ago (new from an AD in 2007) but sold it and bought the Chronograph version of it this year. Couldn't be happier and like the watch for the design elements etc. Bond adds a nice touch and makes a desirable watch that much more interesting.

This style is extremely versatile and iconic (sorry, Paul ). To me it's a shame the new ones don't have the wave design on the dial. At the same time it makes me appreciate the ones we have even more!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote