The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 September 2008, 02:14 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
OK..a... a little shaky... can... you guys give me advice?

Allright... well.. uhm... my... uhm... (breathe.... B..rea...the...)... uhm.. my Daytona is ... is... at the AD for...a MINOR PROCEDURE. GASP!!!!

Nothing to worry about... they.. they said everything would be allright.... But it won't be ready for... for a WHOLE WEEK! Now... I know some of you guys have dealt with this... but... for me... well... I haven't been apart from my Rolex since I bought it.... so... maybe... you with experience... could give me some advice... how do I make it through the next SEVEN days!?!?!?

I... I asked the dealer if I could visit... he just looked at me. I said, "well, OK, can I call everyday and see how it's doing?" .... he just kept looking at me... I'm thinking about bringing a sleeping bag and sleeping outside the AD during the night... and hanging out inside during the day... for the whole seven days... They won't notice me do you think?

Where oh where is my Zanax!?!?!?!?!?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 02:19 PM   #2
valentine
Banned

Watch: TT Diamond DJ
just go to the doc and tell em your having horrible panic attacks... ( I actually DO HAVE THEM) and you'll have some xanax...hahaha....sorry to hear...you should ask the AD if they can offer a "loaner watch"...like a car dealer...if you have spent major $$$ then they should at least let you have a loaner....am I right, guys???
valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 02:22 PM   #3
Art161
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentine View Post
just go to the doc and tell em your having horrible panic attacks... ( I actually DO HAVE THEM) and you'll have some xanax...hahaha....sorry to hear...you should ask the AD if they can offer a "loaner watch"...like a car dealer...if you have spent major $$$ then they should at least let you have a loaner....am I right, guys???
Dunhill used to give you a loaner if they had your Dunhill lighter in for repair.
Member #13992 HM Power to the Superlative Panda, officially certified! HMPanda eats, shoots and leaves.
Rolexers do it with perpetual movements.
Art161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 02:35 PM   #4
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Random, but the style of the original and subsequent post is the same

Anyways, what's it in for?
Old 6 September 2008, 02:43 PM   #5
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
Random, but the style of the original and subsequent post is the same

Anyways, what's it in for?

This is going to sound mundane, and I'm sure some TRFers will find fault with me, but I'm having my initials engraved on the back case...

I went through this a million times, do it, don't do it, do it, don't do it etc. I went in to the AD I bought it, they introduced me to the engraver who showed me some of his work, the tools, the prodecure and precautions, (removing the back), and really impressed me as somone that took pride in their work and knew what he was doing.

I have heard all the arguments, re-sale value, don't deface a fine timepiece, but in the end decided it was something I wanted to do. It's MY (cherished) watch that I waited a long time for and worked so hard to get, so I am getting it done. I'll post pictures when I pick it up.

Go ahead, all of you that think it's a mistake, lay it on me....
Old 6 September 2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
take a couple of Xanax before you pick up the watch next week!
It will be a nice personal touch if you're keeping it for a long time and pass it down to a child.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 04:42 PM   #7
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
This is going to sound mundane, and I'm sure some TRFers will find fault with me, but I'm having my initials engraved on the back case...

I went through this a million times, do it, don't do it, do it, don't do it etc. I went in to the AD I bought it, they introduced me to the engraver who showed me some of his work, the tools, the prodecure and precautions, (removing the back), and really impressed me as somone that took pride in their work and knew what he was doing.

I have heard all the arguments, re-sale value, don't deface a fine timepiece, but in the end decided it was something I wanted to do. It's MY (cherished) watch that I waited a long time for and worked so hard to get, so I am getting it done. I'll post pictures when I pick it up.

Go ahead, all of you that think it's a mistake, lay it on me....
It's your watch...do whatever you want with it. Hope it looks good when returned
Old 6 September 2008, 05:05 PM   #8
Spark
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too Many
There is no problem with you having your initials engraved on the case back of your watch if you are going to keep it.
It only becomes an issue if or when you sell it and even then it should either be able to be polished out or a new case back purchased if necessary.

The only thing that concerns me is if 7 days is doing this to you, what happens when you have to part for 6-8 weeks for a service
Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 06:43 PM   #9
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
There is no problem with you having your initials engraved on the case back of your watch if you are going to keep it.
It only becomes an issue if or when you sell it and even then it should either be able to be polished out or a new case back purchased if necessary.

The only thing that concerns me is if 7 days is doing this to you, what happens when you have to part for 6-8 weeks for a service
SPARK!!!! It's... it's only the first night and I'm having nightmares! Look at me, it's 2AM and I can't sleep!
Old 6 September 2008, 06:56 PM   #10
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
Get a 2nd watch then it won;t be so bad, I know what I was like when I had my dial changed. Impatient.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 07:00 PM   #11
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
Get a 2nd watch then it won;t be so bad, I know what I was like when I had my dial changed. Impatient.
You know Simon, that's what the sales lady tried when I told her I'd miss my Daytona! She said: "Well you need to buy a GMT II right now so you won't go through withdrawls!" Scary thing is... I ACTUALLY CONSIDERED IT!!!!
Old 6 September 2008, 07:14 PM   #12
shoppy
"TRF" Member

I would do it, or in your case consider it as service times can be quite long.
Old 6 September 2008, 07:31 PM   #13
walds11
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't have my initials engraved on the caseback , but that's just me.
Old 6 September 2008, 07:40 PM   #14
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Engrave it, it is your watch after all, no offense it is a daytona, it is not going to affect its value that much. IF it does have the case back replaced, they are not that expensive. OR get your AD with a parts account to order a new back and seal.

It's a watch simple do what you will with it.
Old 6 September 2008, 07:53 PM   #15
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I wouldn't have my initials engraved on the caseback , but that's just me.
So do I...100% sure...
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2008, 10:17 PM   #16
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
It is your watch. You plan on keeping this watch for many many years so do with it as you please. Looking forward to the pics. Good luck.

IMO, the only way to battle missing your watch is to buy another one and enjoy it while your other one is in the shop .
Old 6 September 2008, 11:01 PM   #17
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Those initials could preclude the flipping inspired by all the cool watch posts and comments on TRF. May save you money.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2008, 05:22 AM   #18
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Day TWO....

OK... Day two... Without my Daytona.... I'm... I'm... I didn't sleep much last night... but... I'm... I'm fine... I have a tremendous urge to go visit it at the AD... but... but they said it would be better... better if I didn't. I can't even call to see how it's doing... I... it's going to be a long 5 more days!!!!
Old 7 September 2008, 10:15 PM   #19
wuzzzer
"TRF" Member

You do have a beautiful, very sought after timepiece. Your level of anxiety is a little alarming, though.
wuzzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2008, 10:23 PM   #20
GinGinD

I totally get the wanting to visit thing.

I have a vintage Rolex coming out of an estate on hold at my jewelers. He won't let me have it until the entire estate is settled. Understandable, of course, but frustrating.

He lets me visit it. It's sad really. I go over there. He gets is out of the safe. I parade around the store with it strapped to my wrist, stopping various of his customers to ask them to admire it. Everyone thinks I'm nuts.

It's pathetic really.

I'd suggest you get another watch. It will at least distract you for a while.

Jeannie
GinGinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2008, 12:15 AM   #21
GBJIV
"TRF" Member

Paul, many of us on TRF watched and read about your joy in obtaining and owning this beautiful piece. You would rank right up there with the guys I would vote for getting it engraved. You love this watch - Not only because it is gorgeous and the most coveted watch in the world - you simply love it. I think engraving makes sense and it will keep it that much closer to your heart. This watch is like a friend and symbolizes great times and reminds of the past. I think getting it engraved will make it even more special to you. Good Luck and congratulations.