The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 September 2008, 06:42 AM   #1
fania123
"TRF" Member

Who else thinks?

The new Sea Dwellers would be sellin for close to 20k had the milgauss held there prices. I think the the drop in price on the second hand market rattled people. No matter to me I love my deep sea.
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2008, 06:48 AM   #2
astcell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713
The same happened with Kermit. Anything new stirs up the pot. When things settle down the market will adjust.

I remember how the Ford Focus was supposed to be the car everyone wanted, remember that? The DSSD will settle down as soon as another Basel kicks off.
Old 11 September 2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Neither the Milgauss or the Deep Sea could sustain the ridiculous prices people were asking for once they were out in the market place. I don't think anybody was rattled except for those who paid too much for one.

The second hand market has nothing to do with it if you can get a brand new one for MSRP at most Dealers.. The second hand market can only demand high prices if new pieces are not available and that becomes the only source..

Old 11 September 2008, 11:55 AM   #4
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Exactly what Larry said The SDDS seems to be way more available than the Milgauss was initially, it appears that everyone is getting them .
Old 11 September 2008, 12:06 PM   #5
astcell
"TRF" Member

A local dealer says the floodgates are opened and now Daytonas will be readily available next.
Old 11 September 2008, 12:38 PM   #6
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fania123 View Post
The new Sea Dwellers would be sellin for close to 20k had the milgauss held there prices. I think the the drop in price on the second hand market rattled people. No matter to me I love my deep sea.
I disagree - the SDDS was never meant to be a limited or hard to find model. It's just people who want to be the first to own it who really send the demand sky high. Wait until people come to their senses and notice just how many are being sold.
Old 11 September 2008, 04:59 PM   #7
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:
Originally Posted by astcell View Post
A local dealer says the floodgates are opened and now Daytonas will be readily available next.
I understand where you are coming from and have heard something similiar from my local AD. Perhaps the cause for this is not an increase in production, but the general increase in the Daytona's MSRP over the past 7 years. As the Daytona MSRP reaches secondary market value, I can see people asking themselves; "Why pay X price for used when I can get it for the same price at my local AD?" It should be interesting to see what that exact price is and when it happens.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2008, 05:08 PM   #8
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Davidson View Post
I understand where you are coming from and have heard something similiar from my local AD. Perhaps the cause for this is not an increase in production, but the general increase in the Daytona's MSRP over the past 7 years. As the Daytona MSRP reaches secondary market value, I can see people asking themselves; "Why pay X price for used when I can get it for the same price at my local AD?" It should be interesting to see what that exact price is and when it happens.
Grey market prices *should* have increased accordingly...it's not like SS Daytonas are sitting out in windows these days. True test of the Daytona market will be after the next price increase.
Old 11 September 2008, 05:30 PM   #9
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
I disagree - the SDDS was never meant to be a limited or hard to find model. It's just people who want to be the first to own it who really send the demand sky high. Wait until people come to their senses and notice just how many are being sold.
I couldn't agree with Scott more on this.

IMHO the SDDS was meant to be a high production piece and a direct competitor to the larger sport timepieces out there (Breitlings/Panerais/Omegas etc.) Rolex wants to sell as many Deep Sea's as possible and is not too concerned about the secondary market value falling due to a sharp increase in production/supply.

Rolex usually has a soft launch for any new model and some speculators misinterpret this to mean that X timepiece is going to be limited in production.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2008, 05:59 PM   #10
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Davidson View Post
I couldn't agree with Scott more on this.

IMHO the SDDS was meant to be a high production piece and a direct competitor to the larger sport timepieces out there (Breitlings/Panerais/Omegas etc.) Rolex wants to sell as many Deep Sea's as possible and is not too concerned about the secondary market value falling due to a sharp increase in production/supply.

Rolex usually has a soft launch for any new model and some speculators misinterpret this to mean that X timepiece is going to be limited in production.
Yes I think you're right about the Deep Sea being a normal (maybe not "high'') production piece. In Singapore, the watch was officially launched on Aug 29 in the newspapers with the slogan "Discover a New Species of the Deep'', with the side profile depicted (I'll try to put a pix of the ad on TRF once I've got my camera sorted). It's very rare that Rolex advertise a specific model like this if their ADs won't have sufficient stock, so I'm guessing that in due course, supply won't be that much of a problem as it is now.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2008, 07:33 PM   #11
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
The simple fact that Rolex announced (almost simultaneously) the release of the DSSD along with the fact it would discontinue production of the SD marked the fact that the DSSD was always intended to take over the SD market IMO. Since the SD was never offered as a limited production, ultra-rare watch, I never thought for a minute the DSSD would be especially hard to get your hands on (after initial release craze dies down of course). In 6 months to a year nobody will even think of putting the words 'DSSD' and 'limited production' in the same sentence.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2008, 11:35 PM   #12
SD090608

Watch: M Sea Dweller
Yeah, I never understood why someone would pay 18large to someone that's not an AD, even if they had to have one NOW...the watches are starting to trickle out and the ADs will sell them at MSRP with all the bennies that go with buying from an AD.

What I think is particularly sad is that Rolex won't service the watch if it wasn't purchased from an AD, and something tells me that the folks that got scalped may not have realized that. Caveat Emptor, huh?

Be careful.
SD090608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2008, 12:12 AM   #13
astcell
"TRF" Member

I'd like the folks who paid 2-3x MSRP to chime in on how they feel now, and if they would do it again. it is a crapshoot.