The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 December 2016, 05:32 AM   #1
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Easy Link versus Glide Lock Question

Good Day Gentlemen!

I did a search but could not find exactly what I am looking for. I do not have easy access to an AD or I would just do to the store and evaluate. I am in a rural area and do not plan to visit the city anytime soon.

I am looking to add another modern piece to my humble "collection"

Currently 2 5513's, a 16523 white dial, and a 116613LB. Probably going to move both of my vintage Subs in the near future and stick with a 3 watch rotation--one white, one blue and one black dial.

I absolutely love the bracelet/clasp on the 116613. I want to add a modern black faced sports watch and have it narrowed down to the 116710 or 114060. I have also considered the new Explorer 214270.
Leaning towards the 114060 for appearance and the glide lock.

I prefer the Sub over the GMT for looks, but I do like the thinness of the GMT case and like the added GMT feature. Plus I already have a Sub(s).

For those that have or have had both the glide lock and the easy link clasp.

Can you describe how you feel about both clasps? Does the glide lock make that much of a difference?
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 05:40 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
IMO, the easy link works great on the watches it's on. Of course, the glide lock is fantastic, but I can honestly say I do not sit around wishing my easy link watches had glide lock.

YMMV.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 05:49 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
No, the glidelock does not make a huge amount of difference. It is large and bulky, taking up a lot of real-estate on the wrist.

It is a great mechanical and engineering marvel, as is the EZ-link, it is not for everybody.
Old 28 December 2016, 06:08 AM   #4
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

I have a GMTC and it is very, very comfortable. To be honest though, it's sized with the EZ link in the closed position and I've never had to open it up. I guess my wrists just don't swell and contract like some folks. Full disclosure, I live in Southern California so no extreme temperature fluctuations here.

So I suppose the question is are you always fiddling with the glidelock because your wrist changes size, or is it more for initial fit? I'm pretty confident you can get a good fit with the EZ link bracelet. If you have initial fit concerns go to the AD and tell him you're walking out with either a 114060 or a GMTc today but have concerns with fit. Perhaps he'd be willing to size the GMT for you prior to purchase to make sure you'd be happy.
Old 28 December 2016, 06:17 AM   #5
Ragna
Banned

Glidelock will give you fine adjusting quick and without any tool. So you can find the perfect fit.

With easy link you will set up the position and it will give you an extra 5mm on the fly quicker than glidelock.

The clasp is bigger with glidelock. I personally prefer the smaller easylink clasp.

It also just feels theres more to go wrong with a glidelock on the long run.

Anyways i like both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 06:19 AM   #6
RPB
"TRF" Member

Watch: V Serial 116710LN
I have a GMT IIc and mine was also sized with the easy link closed and this is great in the UK for most of the year. On hot days and when I get to visit that amazing place Las Vegas, then I always open the link as I find it more comfortable in that kind of 90 degree heat. I find it a really useful feature of an already amazing watch.
BUT, for the first time in 7 years, I think I need another link putting in my watch or an adjustment somewhere as I have put on around 2 stone in weight and am now wearing the watch with easy link open all of the time, which I have never had to do.
Me putting weight on is as rare as finding Hens teeth! pmsl. I feel a New Year change coming on................

Wish list - BLRO; TT GMT.
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 06:31 AM   #7
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragna View Post
Glidelock will give you fine adjusting quick and without any tool. So you can find the perfect fit.

With easy link you will set up the position and it will give you an extra 5mm on the fly quicker than glidelock.

The clasp is bigger with glidelock. I personally prefer the smaller easylink clasp.

It also just feels theres more to go wrong with a glidelock on the long run.

Anyways i like both.
I am with Ragna here. Once you have your Easy link bracelet fitted nicely with the link closed using the micro adjustments it's so easy to get another 5 mm during warmer weather. Pop open the link and a perfect fit again. The glidelock always needs two or more attempts to get it right.
The clasp of the GMT is more "elegant".
The glidelock is of course beautifully made but I use the easy link more often.
If the clasp is what you are looking for in a watch than go for the DSSD, that is the ultimate engineered clasp, but rather bulky. It's OK on the DSSD but not on any other watch imho.
The 116710 would be my choice, prefer the symmetrie of the bezel and I like a four hand watch. The difference in case height however is not noticeable for me on the wrist. Happy hunting
Old 28 December 2016, 06:36 AM   #8
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
I have both and when properly adjusted either is fine unless you really need to change the bracelet size a lot, ie for a dive suit, either will do just fine.
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 06:39 AM   #9
FXR
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167
owning both and didn't find any noticable dufference in daily wear on my wrist.
FXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 06:44 AM   #10
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If both watches are fitted properly, you need no more adjustability than the 5mm easylink provides.. or put another way, you will unlikely use more than a 5mm adjustment on a glidelock for everyday use. These are my findings.

Glidelock will extend further to allow fitting over a wetsuit.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 07:16 AM   #11
Ragna
Banned

Easy Link versus Glide Lock Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
The glidelock always needs two or more attempts to get it right.

exactly !!!

3 hundred attempts for the truly undecided ! Hahah
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 07:25 AM   #12
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
IMO, the easy link works great on the watches it's on. Of course, the glide lock is fantastic, but I can honestly say I do not sit around wishing my easy link watches had glide lock.

YMMV.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 08:13 AM   #13
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Would agree - some people have 'put down' the Easylink, on the basis that the Glidelock is much better. Both are excellent with pros and cons for each. Can't really go too far wrong with either!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 08:19 AM   #14
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
I own both and you can get a great fit with both. It's possible you might need to remove links with the glide lock or easylin anyway.
Overall, for me, the gmt is more comfortable.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 08:22 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Is sizing why you are moving from those vintages? I have a couple of glidelocks, which are the best, but am looking more at vintage myself.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 08:23 AM   #16
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the replies. Very helpful and exactly what I was looking for.

May have been over thinking it a bit...I have tools and generally do my own simple watch work anyways. Adjusted many a vintage clasp with a paper clip. Guess I was just curious more than anything. I tried on a BLNR at the AD last year, but did not pay much attention to the clasp.

Based on the responses the clasp is a non issue. Now I have to decide which one...

Thanks again.

GO HUSKIES!
Old 28 December 2016, 08:28 AM   #17
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Is sizing why you are moving from those vintages? I have a couple of glidelocks, which are the best, but am looking more at vintage myself.
No, the vintage claps are easy to adjust. Paper clip, push pin, toothpick, just about anything you have laying around your office will do...

More a practicality thing. My watches are insured but I am a little leary wearing them everywhere like I do with a modern watch. I am one of those people who goes to the gym in the morning and goes straight to work from there. Nice to be able to throw on a Sub and wear it lifting, in the spa and in the steam room and not have to worry about it. Both my vintage Subs pass pressure tests, but still do not want to put them through my normal morning routine if that makes sense. Might just be another WIS phase I am going through. Was strictly a 5 digit guy, then fell in love with 4 digits the last few years, for some reason lately, the 6 digits are singing to me...
Old 28 December 2016, 08:48 AM   #18
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Love the glidelock, but easy link is good as well. You have the glidelock with your 116613lb so you know all about it. I think your real question is should you go for the 114060 as you already have a sub. As an owner of a 116613lb and a 114060, I would say go for it. There is enough differentiation between them, and the no date dial symmetry of the 114060 is amazing. Good luck and let us know what you do.
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 09:05 AM   #19
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by nresetar View Post
...the no date dial symmetry of the 114060 is amazing...
The "original" FTW!
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 09:21 AM   #20
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Horses for courses.. and I for one love the glidelock maybe I'm more prone to my wrist size changing but have never been able to get the easy link right so the glidelock is great.

So much so I purchased these to give me two extra clasps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7028.jpg (86.4 KB, 1186 views)
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 09:46 AM   #21
RichM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: out now,take care!
I have EasyLink on 3 of my 4 watches and find it suits my needs just fine. The extra 5mm is always just the extra little bit I need.

On the other hand, I don't find the the extra bulk of the GlideLock an issue either.

I would buy the watch you like because of the watch, and not clasp.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 10:03 AM   #22
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerrmd View Post
I have both and when properly adjusted either is fine unless you really need to change the bracelet size a lot, ie for a dive suit, either will do just fine.
Same here.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 12:00 PM   #23
G'ed
"TRF" Member

I give +1 to glidelock over easylink as I sized my SDC such that it can fit both myself and my wife. Can't do that on easylink.

Moreover, you have higher chance of getting it fit other curious wrists with glidelock than easylink. Just make sure you keep an eyes on them and don't let them run away with it lol
G'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 02:44 PM   #24
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
The ability to adjust without a tool is amazing. The glide lock without a doubt is the winner here.
Old 28 December 2016, 03:43 PM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Love the glidelock but never ever had an issue with easy link. I'm told with gold glidelock is more valuable due to heft.
Old 28 December 2016, 04:02 PM   #26
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Had both and the glidelock hands down for me. Changing temps plus workout activities cause me to "need" it more. The glidelock gives you 2mm in any direction which is a huge plus. My GMTc was mostly right but with the link opened, found it too loose for my liking. I also enjoy the size of the clasp on the glidelock better as I find it balances the watch more efficiently.
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2016, 11:48 PM   #27
regnant
"TRF" Member

Glidelock is better and should be incorporated in other non dress watches too. I could easily change the bracelet size in my Sea Dweller 116600 without having to take out the links. I just glided it into its narrowest position and that was it
Old 28 December 2016, 11:54 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I have both as well and like them for different reasons.

I would say that the Glidelock is really only necessary on heavier models like the DSSD or PM. The fine adjustment is incredible and finding the perfect fit is easily done.
The Easy link works great as well and as stated above the clasp is smaller and a bit more comfortable IMO. I also believe that the Easy link is fitted to models with lower case backs where adjustment isn't as critical, as the watch tends to "stay put" because of the caseback flatness.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 12:33 AM   #29
mastersub
"TRF" Member

The fine adjustments of the Glidelock are very nice, but I much prefer the Easylink for everyday wear. For me, the Glidelock required two hands to adjust. The Easylink can be adjusted easily on the fly with one hand, without needing to take the watch off your wrist.
mastersub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2016, 05:01 AM   #30
eonflux
"TRF" Member

With a GMTc, Subc, and DSSD, I really much prefer the DSSD Glidelock

I wear my watches on both wrists, so being able to fine tune the bracelet fit is really helpful
And I travel frequently for work, sometimes in one trip will be at a tropical location then later in northern Europe, so the versatility of the GLs is a big plus
I find the GMTc Easy Link too limited

And the DSSD GL can be adjusted without taking off the watch, which is very convenient--the DSSD GL should really have a different name since it is completely different than the Subc and SDc GLs
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote