The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 September 2008, 01:47 AM   #1
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
A Rolex Dilemma!

Hi Guys.

I'm having a dilemma over what I consider to be my next and last Rolex purchase.

In the last 10 months my Rolex purchasing began. All new watches purchased here, I bought a Sea-Dweller in December '07, Pepsi GMT II in Feb '08 and Sub LV in May '08.

Having owned previous watch brands before finding the light with Rolex (why does it always happen this way) I flipped various Omega's and Tag's and parted with varying amounts of cash to get the three Rolexes I own today.

However, here is the dilemma. I'm set on buying another Rolex and I think it's time to get serious on this matter and say this has got to be my last purchase. I've even flirted with the idea of flipping 1 or 2 of my current Rolexes to get a new watch, but I've seen it so many times on so many different forums that people really regret in the long run flipping their Rolexes.

I'd love to have a Daytona but I'm not prepared to wait on a 4-5 year list when who knows what the price will be at that point.

After much consideration I've got a decison to make. It will be between the Classic Black Submariner Date which we all know and love and there's the panic setting in amongst many that Rolex may go down the blingy route of new super case, maxi dial and polished centre links.

The other choice on offer is the s/s GMTIIc. I've not actually seen one of these actually in the flesh, but i have been reading many people's different opinions on this watch and feel if i was to go down this route it's a symbol of a Rolex purchase that is new and contemporary but still Classic Rolex. I must admit that I am quite concerned about the polished centre links as I like to wear my watches in all situations, but am hoping to maybe keep this next and dare i say it, LAST purchase for those special occasions.

I'd be very much interested to hear people's opinions based on what I've said I own already. Having them both would be idyllic, but i'm not in a position to add another 2 Rolex's to my 3 already.

Let's here what you guys have to say.

Looking forward to the feedback.

Regards

Jonathan
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 01:51 AM   #2
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
On this occasion I would go for the Sub as it might be blinged up over the next year or two. I do like the GM Master II - but its going to be around for quite a few more years and I bet a year or two down the line you'll be getting it anyway.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 01:53 AM   #3
James T
"TRF" Member

Watch: submariner 16610
Just remember watch collection is addicting!, Especially Rolexes! Trust me, it's never going to be the last! Once you get your grail watch, you will have another one in the horizon that you want to have. Just look at you finances - if you can afford another one, go for it! Good luck!
Old 18 September 2008, 01:54 AM   #4
Tareg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
Definately the Sub
Tareg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 01:55 AM   #5
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
i would definitly say the GMT IIC- it is outstanding in every way. it has brought rolex into the 21st century IMHO with the updates that have all added quality without compromising on design. with the GMT IIC - you are getting alot more of a watch. far more substantial bracelet and the easy link. It was the first to have the ceramic bezel aswell. i could go on and on but i will stop here

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 01:56 AM   #6
nethskie

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestpogi View Post
Just remember watch collection is addicting!, Especially Rolexes! Trust me, it's never going to be the last! Once you get your grail watch, you will have another one in the horizon that you want to have. Just look at you finances - if you can afford another one, go for it! Good luck!
+1 to this you'll just can't stop buying specially when there are new releases in Basel World
nethskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 02:16 AM   #7
Ivy League
Banned

Watch: 116710LN
I would have to agree with Toph.
As a new GMT IIc owner, this is the mother of all Rolexes. The Sub is nice, but it really doesn't compare with all the fresh changes and improvements they have put into the 116710LN. Go get one, and you'll be very happy with it.

I.V.
Ivy League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 04:15 AM   #8
sojourner
"TRF" Member

I know this is not one of your two choices but I would certainly say a SS Daytona. You've already got a dive watch and a GMT...you need a chronograph. Daytonas are easier to find now than they used to be and you can always grab one on the grey market as these prices are now pretty close to MSRP anyways. Daytona...that's your missing link!
Old 18 September 2008, 04:34 AM   #9
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
As you already own the LV sub, definitely among your choices, GMT CERAMIC is the way to go

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 05:30 AM   #10
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
GMTIIc
Old 18 September 2008, 05:34 AM   #11
beamon
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
I know this is not one of your two choices but I would certainly say a SS Daytona. You've already got a dive watch and a GMT...you need a chronograph. Daytonas are easier to find now than they used to be and you can always grab one on the grey market as these prices are now pretty close to MSRP anyways. Daytona...that's your missing link!
Tom has it right, imo. Especially, after you threw in the desire to have a watch for special purposes. If you are truly looking at this watch to be your last, that's all the more reason to go Daytona. As the last watch there is little pressure to get it asap, so get on some lists. That'll give you time to set aside a fund for the watch and when it's your turn you'll likely get it for MSRP or possibly <gasp> less!

Me? I need a date function, but I appreciate the good looks of the Daytona.
beamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2008, 06:08 AM   #12
srl7741

I'm partial to the GMTIIc as your choice also.
srl7741 is offline   Reply With Quote