The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 19 September 2008, 10:33 AM   #1
srl7741

Omega OP: Should it be the next one.

I could use some opinions on my next purchase. I have been looking at the Omega OP (see image below) as my next purchase. I've never had one and never worn/tried one on. The orange has somehow placed me in a trance and I can't get away from the over-all appearance. I'm not wanting a daily wear time piece b/c i already have one love but I am looking to add an additional option for those rainy days.

I could really use some good hard opinions from those who actually know about the watch. I plan on putting one on in the next few days from a local AD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Omega PO sample1.jpg (112.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg Omega PO sample2.jpg (100.9 KB, 157 views)
srl7741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2008, 11:07 AM   #2
c3pastor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: MillyGV, SD, SD4K
i have the planet ocean chronograph with orange bezel and black rubber strap with orange stitching.. the orange looks way better in reality... they are striking watches and the co-axial movement rocks... imho
c3pastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Time Traveller

I have the 45.5mm PO, ref. 2200.50. Leaving out the difference in size, the PO is one of my favorite watches for its easy to read dial (thanks to the AR coating) and comfort. Mine weighs 206g but I do not realize the weight. It stays where I place it on my wrist and does not move.
Time Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2008, 12:05 PM   #4
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
its a really nice and comfortable watch even with the bracelet.
It just sitting too tall for my liking so I have switched my focus onto speedmaster date.
The PO can be abit too heavy for some.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Mort
"TRF" Member

I have been looking at Omega's so I went last week to see and maybe buy a P.O. I tried both the 42 and 45 mm ones and I liked the 45 on the strap, but it just did not make me want to buy one. It was too thick and I have small wrist so it was not that comfortable and the 42 really did not attract me.

I ended up buying the Seamaster Aqua Terra on a bracelet. For my first new Omega, I am very happy with it and the Co-Axial movement has been dead on as far as accuracy.

Still the Planet Ocean is a very striking watch and I may change my mind down the line as far as buying one in the future.

Try one on and see how it feels to you. You will know if its the right watch for you.
Stainless DJ II Rhodium with Arabic Dial 116334, Longines RG Master Collection Chronograph Triple Date Moon, Maurice Lacroix TT Masterpiece Triple Date Moon, Vintage Gallet SS Flying Officer Chronograph
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 12:54 AM   #6
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
JJ had the orange one - JJ, put up your pics!
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 01:34 AM   #7
timetravel125
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Omega fans are nuts about PO. It's a stunning watch. I personally like its heft and it being co-axial and chronometer. The bracelet is comfy, and it has AR inside and out. Its lume is like a torch!

Now you have to decide between the 42mm or 45mm. I like colored bezels myself, ergo I went with orange. Orange they say, is the new black.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers!
timetravel125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 01:36 AM   #8
srl7741

Tomorrow I'm going to look at one and have a chance to try it on. The 42 will most likely fit me best however I will try both. I really hope I like the Orange color. Pictures sometimes don't tell the true colors. I've never used this AD before so i'm a little nervous about the cost. I've always been able to get a 20% discount from my other AD but they don't carry Omega.
Old 20 September 2008, 01:47 AM   #9
DSJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step!
Here's the link:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...cean+review+jj
DSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 01:55 AM   #10
srl7741

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post

Oh wow, i'm in trouble now. I missed that thread. Great pictures and it's making me want it even more now.

thx.
Old 20 September 2008, 08:25 AM   #11
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
It's a stunning watch with a lot of presence. If I had the cash I would have one.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 09:06 AM   #12
N_Swe
"TRF" Member

Yes, its a great watch. Heavy, but yet comfortable.

I have the 42mm, and its just perfect.

N_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 06:47 PM   #13
Oscar
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMTIIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3pastor View Post
i have the planet ocean chronograph with orange bezel and black rubber strap with orange stitching.. the orange looks way better in reality... they are striking watches and the co-axial movement rocks... imho
I could not agree more.............
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 08:21 PM   #14
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
I actually found that my new PO Chrono co-axial didn't keep as good of time as my 5+ yr (& never serviced) SMP Chrono. I loved the 45.5mm case, but could have lived w/o the double AR coating (it always showed marks & personally I didn't think it was any easier to read than my SMP). Eventually it just didn't seem to live up to the hype & I ended up selling. I guess the SMP is my only true Omega love.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2008, 08:28 PM   #15
moby33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srl7741 View Post
I really hope I like the Orange color. Pictures sometimes don't tell the true colors.
I definitely think the orange looks better in person than most pics (personally, I think it looks more red in person than a lot of pics show). I thought the orange bezel might be 'too loud' after a while, so I compromised and got the black bezel but w/ orange numerals at 6, 9, 12 paired w/ the black rubber strap w/ orange stitching. The subtle matching of the numbers & stitching looked amazing IMO. I also had the metal bracelet & thought it would go on...but the strap looked so good on the watch, I never could bring myself to swap. Good luck...I hope you find the one that truly speaks to you. Cheers.
Old 22 September 2008, 10:10 AM   #16
srl7741

Well?...... I looked over several different models of the Omega. I tried each one on and I could not pull the trigger. I liked the weight, thought the band was nice but did not care for the rest. I did not get the smile like I did with my Sub or GMT IIc.

I'm going to let it rest for a week or two and see how I feel then. If things don't change then I'm going to end up with a new Daytona. That makes me smile and returns the same.

Old 22 September 2008, 05:08 PM   #17
moby33
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear that...but it sounds like you're not going to be a PO owner any time soon. I've found if the watch doesn't jump out and slap you across the face saying 'Take me home NOW' then it's probably not the watch for you.

While I agree waiting some time as a 'cool-off' period is probably a prudent practice when trying to save money on purchases you probably don't need, I've never found a 'heating-up' period to exist...if you don't love it now, you're probably not going to love it a week from now. Go out and buy the Daytona...it sounds like that's the one that is really screaming your name! Cheers.