The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2017, 01:35 AM   #1
WWCO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
UK update!

Rolex have reduced the UK supply this year due to the pound being as weak as it is, and also due to other European markets having higher RRP Rolex have decided to allocate more stock in that direction. However I price increase is around the corner so fingers crossed that strengthens the UK market again and we see an influx of stock at the ADs.

Also I have found out that ADs now only sell Daytonas and the likes as gifts to major customers. It is near impossible to get your hands on one otherwise and if you manage to do so and were to decide to sell it on profit, ADs will now ring you to question why you did.
WWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:47 AM   #2
AutoBay
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS Odysseus
UK update!

I mean...as for your first point, it’s true, the market is picked clean and the secondary market is hilariously overpriced right now (£17000 for a Daytona? Fuggedaboutit). As for your second point, that’s just normal life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AutoBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:54 AM   #3
WWCO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Exactly! No way I'm paying 8k over list, my AD won't even tell me what I need to do to qualify for a Daytona. I've suggested "if I buy this this and this, will I be near the top for a Daytona" and all I get is, we can't guarantee anything.
WWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:56 AM   #4
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWCO View Post
Rolex have reduced the UK supply this year due to the pound being as weak as it is, and also due to other European markets having higher RRP Rolex have decided to allocate more stock in that direction. However I price increase is around the corner so fingers crossed that strengthens the UK market again and we see an influx of stock at the ADs.

Also I have found out that ADs now only sell Daytonas and the likes as gifts to major customers. It is near impossible to get your hands on one otherwise and if you manage to do so and were to decide to sell it on profit, ADs will now ring you to question why you did.
Did Rolex tell you this?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 01:58 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWCO View Post
Exactly! No way I'm paying 8k over list, my AD won't even tell me what I need to do to qualify for a Daytona. I've suggested "if I buy this this and this, will I be near the top for a Daytona" and all I get is, we can't guarantee anything.
then you will be paying more than grey market prices. Its a trap and they are not as scarce as they want you to believe. They just want to see what you will do to get one.

If you really want it i would just save yourself the hassle and buy grey market. If time=money then the amount of your time AD's waste giving you the runaround every time you go in there, its well worth it to pay grey market pricing.

Im not a SS daytona fan but i told an AD who tried to sell me a Datograph that i judge the AD by how they treat me as a Rolex customer, not as a PP or ALS customer. They put me on a Waitlist for a black dial DSSD 3 years ago (not hard to get) , 37mm yacht master for my wife almost two years ago (not hard to get), and a WG daytona 6 months ago and have never once called me. So i said, "thanks for letting me try on the datograph, but i will be buying it somewhere else."
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:11 AM   #6
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
In central London as we speak meeting the wife after work. WOS on Oxford street and regent street had no SS sports stock at all. Rolex in selfriges had a TT GMT and explorer 2. Otherwise nada! However Joanna in selfriges was very nice to discuss watches with. 20 mins we were chatting about this n that. Wempe on Bond Street......nada BUT drooled over the ALS in their window as one does.

UK won't be getting au stock anytime soon, price increase won't do anything unless they hike up the prices so much that it puts off the international buyers! And when it does then we here in the UK will have all the supply we need but at prices that will make your mind spin, especially for a stainless steel watch......retail upwards of 7.5k for a SS watch........dear god
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:21 AM   #7
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Now is not a good time to be a watch collector in the uk... unless you agree to buy precious metal and oh look at that, Daytona in the safe.

Every since rolex are doing what they are doing I’ve bought 3 other watches from 3 different watch makers.

Shame as I want a Daytona C and I’ve waited patiently. Plus I never sell or flip. Hard to watch these big spenders get their watches and flip for profit. Ironic that they are the ones that get the calls from the ADs as they spend so much.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:31 AM   #8
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

It's a shame because they do have such a large loyal following here. Surely they can make enough money from the rest of the world! Either way I think now a lot of people are looking to other watch brands as they're fed up of Rolex.
Old 21 September 2017, 02:46 AM   #9
The Joker
"TRF" Member

They are punishing us over Brexit
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 02:49 AM   #10
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarosh View Post
It's a shame because they do have such a large loyal following here. Surely they can make enough money from the rest of the world! Either way I think now a lot of people are looking to other watch brands as they're fed up of Rolex.
being fed up with Rolex and being fed up with Rolex AD's isn't the same thing. The UK in particular its the AD's game playing that is the issue not the stock, which they have no control over. There is a right way and a wrong way to handle customers when there isn't enough stock and most UK AD's are going about it very wrongly. This new found power to make you jump through hoops and be condescending to potential customers is my issue.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 21 September 2017, 02:55 AM   #11
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
OP
Sorry way too many assumptions in your post.

As for price rise it would be fair to say one appears to be imminent given the total increase by AP and PP plus the move by Tudor, but no one know even AD’s until a few days before!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 03:19 AM   #12
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Fair point Tyler. Well said. After my BLNR in Jan my next watch will be a JLC
Old 21 September 2017, 03:19 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's not just Brexit, the decrease in supply has spread to Europe, Asia and now even the US, so there is something bigger going on, either production problems or a new global strangulation strategy which seems crazy as it has turned ADs into warzones here already and this is hardly a good model to roll out worldwide. Rolex are in danger of becoming a social media company only as there are never any SS models to see in ADs and thus not many customers, which will lead to an inevitable culling of them.

There doesn't even really need to be a price rise now as the Pound has stabilised and strengthened this year to not be much more than 10% down on the pre-Brexit levels. And a 5% rise won't make any difference to supply I'm sure.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 03:50 AM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
There doesn't even really need to be a price rise now as the Pound has stabilised and strengthened this year to not be much more than 10% down on the pre-Brexit levels. And a 5% rise won't make any difference to supply I'm sure.
its still cheaper including all taxes and not including any refunds than the US, but yes i agree that a rise won't make a whole lot of difference.

I tend to be of the opinion that the "rarity" is fueling a lot of the demand and people always want what they can't have and end up buying something they normally wouldn't when they get an opportunity to finally get one. Its a balancing act of managing supply and demand by creating the illusion of rarity and i think the artificial scarcity has gotten too far out of hand and there will be some blowback on the brand at some point.
Old 21 September 2017, 03:54 AM   #15
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

does the stock situation also apply to SS DJs and OPs? will be over there in a few weeks and thinking about either a DJ41 or one of the DJ OP 36mm.
Nyc27000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 04:15 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc27000 View Post
does the stock situation also apply to SS DJs and OPs? will be over there in a few weeks and thinking about either a DJ41 or one of the DJ OP 36mm.
generally no, the blue dial DJ41 seems to be the exception but at least one AD should be able to locate most other varieties.
Old 21 September 2017, 04:29 AM   #17
Nyc27000
"TRF" Member

thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
generally no, the blue dial DJ41 seems to be the exception but at least one AD should be able to locate most other varieties.
Nyc27000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 04:33 AM   #18
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
Have just spent a few days around Bond St with 2 friends...

They were trying to get - (No Date sub or GMT LN)

No chance anywhere. Selfridges had a GMT 3 weeks ago for 5 minutes.

Apparently the 10% price increase last November made no difference to any waiting lists.
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 04:36 AM   #19
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Milton our holy fortune teller! Where are you? Price increase? Can you confirm?
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 04:45 AM   #20
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
GMT LN's appear to be the only ss models that appear occasionally. When they do they are gone in a flash. Absolutely absurd situation.
Old 21 September 2017, 04:51 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its still cheaper including all taxes and not including any refunds than the US, but yes i agree that a rise won't make a whole lot of difference.

I tend to be of the opinion that the "rarity" is fueling a lot of the demand and people always want what they can't have and end up buying something they normally wouldn't when they get an opportunity to finally get one. Its a balancing act of managing supply and demand by creating the illusion of rarity and i think the artificial scarcity has gotten too far out of hand and there will be some blowback on the brand at some point.
Looks like PP are taking cues from the D500 model with the Nautilus and now the 5522 where we are all having a joke and a laugh over the crazy resale market that puts Rolex to shame
Old 21 September 2017, 04:52 AM   #22
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
GMT LN's appear to be the only ss models that appear occasionally. When they do they are gone in a flash. Absolutely absurd situation.
Goldsmiths (Aurum group) received a Daytona shipment beginning of this week

Also most AD’s have had at least three 126600’s now since release.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 06:45 AM   #23
sutats
"TRF" Member

Are there any knowledgeable Rolex sales managers or advisors about on the forums?
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 06:53 AM   #24
kepler22
"TRF" Member

I understand that AD's get their allowance at the beginning of the month. In Leicester there are only two AD's, both had an SS GMT in the window, didn't see any other SS sports models. As of today only one left. As regards the price rise Rolex only have to give 24 hours notice, so who knows when that will be.
kepler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2017, 09:12 AM   #25
bp1000
"TRF" Member

I wonder if rolex is ever going to go the way of other high end watch makers, into precious metals

Big push from tudor

I don’t understand this strangulation strategy

I know 1 forum thread is not the basis of facts but it certainly seems global supply is at an all time (modern) low.

What does this do to rolex earnings. If they are not to shift to higher margin precious metal watches.

This I don’t understand as it is rolex heritage. I’m just trying to get into the head of the board
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:21 AM   #26
Quicksilver
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing watches
UK update!

I can't see Rolex totally abandoning the SS market. It's a huge part of their heritage. They could conceivably see some advantage in restricting supply, increasing demand and therefore cachet and persuading people to buy precious metal models. If that's their game then it could backfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 September 2017, 12:27 AM   #27
hitman23
"TRF" Member

I tend to think there's more money flowing out there now and people are just buying up everything. When the bubble bursts again, the demand will come down.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:39 AM   #28
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
I tend to think there's more money flowing out there now and people are just buying up everything. When the bubble bursts again, the demand will come down.
It does feel that way, doesn't it? And yet I thought we were in the midst of a global slowdown with the Chinese and Russians pulling back their ravenous demand of recent years. Altho this is mainly supply side imho, demand does seem very healthy indeed, and social media very impactful.
Old 22 September 2017, 12:40 AM   #29
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
I wonder if rolex is ever going to go the way of other high end watch makers, into precious metals

Big push from tudor

I don’t understand this strangulation strategy

I know 1 forum thread is not the basis of facts but it certainly seems global supply is at an all time (modern) low.

What does this do to rolex earnings. If they are not to shift to higher margin precious metal watches.

This I don’t understand as it is rolex heritage. I’m just trying to get into the head of the board
Rolex will try to climb to higher price range in an attempt to avoid the fate of Fossil, which lost market thanks to Apple Watch
Obviously that next gens of AW will also play in upper price range market and only watchmakers like AP, PP will be in safe.
Terrakot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2017, 12:44 AM   #30
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrakot View Post
Rolex will try to climb to higher price range in an attempt to avoid the fate of Fossil, which lost market thanks to Apple Watch
Obviously that next gens of AW will also play in upper price range market and only watchmakers like AP, PP will be in safe.
I was going to mention the rise of Apple in my comment above about slowing global demand, but they really cater to very different price points as the iWatch only has a limited shelf life, and so it can't ever be priced at a Veblen luxury level similar to a Rolex. The gold versions were unsuccessful. High Street fashion watches are really in their sights, maybe even Tag.

Tags
scarcity , united kingdom