The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2017, 11:28 PM   #1
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Daytona Waiting Game — What Would You Do?

I will try to lay out the facts in an impartial way.

Walked into my local AD for the first time (after living here 20 years) in August of 2016 as I was intrigued about the new SS Daytona as well as the idea of getting a second watch after daily wearing my DJ for 30 years. Two days later, AD texted me pictures of a white dial DayC that had just come in for another client and asked me if I wanted to see it. Of course I did, of course I fell in love, and of course I gave the $6,000 deposit by check they required to put me on the list. I was told that a) I was “protected” against price increases, b) they could ship out of state address when the time came (sales tax benefit), and c) that Spring 2017 was the expected delivery time. She also whispered that a yearend 2016 delivery might be possible. I was, how do the kids say it?, stoked!

So I discover TRF, get even more excited, Over time, I get carried away, see the platinum Daytona there, and become intrigued. Their best price is about $25k more than the two month old DSW price, and she understands when I buy that one. She even offers to size it for me, which she does. She is very, very nice.

Over time, we have a couple of jewelry repairs and re-purposing projects that she helps us with and does a very nice job. Of course, we were trying to give her business for being so nice to us. We have never bought a watch or jewelry from the store.

So spring comes and goes, as does summer. Obviously I have slipped on their priority list. Then I get the news that Rolex is demanding Daytonas be delivered in person, so with sales tax, delivered price is effectively $1,000 higher. At that point I wrote my salesperson an email expressing my disappointment and letting her know that I am considering cancelling my order and getting my deposit back.

I end up keeping the order, and she says she will go to bat for me with Rolex when the time comes. She says I have been first on list at AD since June, but shipments have pretty much dried up.

Now it’s end of October, and according to a friend here, they just got a black and white DayC in. I have not heard anything.

My question (finally!!!!):

What would you do? Do I recognize that not only am I a new customer, but I bought an expensive watch elsewhere, and just wait until they decide to give me one? Do I read the writing on the wall and realize they are just going to keep my deposit and never deliver the watch? Do I patiently await my call, and hope one eventually filters down to me? Do I confront them with the “knowledge” that they are getting DayCs in, but allocating them elsewhere?

I can certainly see their point, but think if they just aren’t interested in my business, they should be honest with me and give me my deposit back. Would you confront them, continue to wait and hope, or get your deposit back and move on? BTW, I do recognize that this is not the most pressing world issue on the docket today.
Old 24 October 2017, 11:39 PM   #2
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
WOW! You can afford a Platona (if I am reading this right), bought it someplace else and now you are surprised the AD doesn't have you first on the list and they plan on charging you tax? What's a thousand dollars if you can afford a Platona? Get your check back and buy a Daytona C off the forum.
Old 24 October 2017, 11:44 PM   #3
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Daytona Waiting Game — What Would You Do?

Well that thing about having to be delivered in person is not true. I live in Georgia. But I ended up getting my white dial Daytona C from an AD in South Carolina in August 2017. I paid over the phone and they shipped it to me at MSRP with NO sales tax. (It should be noted that I did/do have a purchase history with that AD in South Carolina.) Now if you didnt have a cash deposit involved I would say just wait it out. But since you do have a deposit I would feel a little differently. Tough call. But I think the main thing to know and understand is that different AD’s handle these Daytona C allocations differently. Some doing so with more integrity than others. But ultimately they are able to do things however they want. Not to be in your pockets but if you purchased a Platona then a small premium from a grey dealer shouldnt be too much of a hit for you. If you are just against paying over MSRP I understand that too. I think the best piece of advice for anyone wanting a Daytona C is put your name on multiple AD waiting lists (no deposit) and just forget about it until you finally do get the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:45 PM   #4
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Confront them
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:46 PM   #5
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I will try to lay out the facts in an impartial way.

Walked into my local AD for the first time (after living here 20 years) in August of 2016 as I was intrigued about the new SS Daytona as well as the idea of getting a second watch after daily wearing my DJ for 30 years. Two days later, AD texted me pictures of a white dial DayC that had just come in for another client and asked me if I wanted to see it. Of course I did, of course I fell in love, and of course I gave the $6,000 deposit by check they required to put me on the list. I was told that a) I was “protected” against price increases, b) they could ship out of state address when the time came (sales tax benefit), and c) that Spring 2017 was the expected delivery time. She also whispered that a yearend 2016 delivery might be possible. I was, how do the kids say it?, stoked!

So I discover TRF, get even more excited, Over time, I get carried away, see the platinum Daytona there, and become intrigued. Their best price is about $25k more than the two month old DSW price, and she understands when I buy that one. She even offers to size it for me, which she does. She is very, very nice.

Over time, we have a couple of jewelry repairs and re-purposing projects that she helps us with and does a very nice job. Of course, we were trying to give her business for being so nice to us. We have never bought a watch or jewelry from the store.

So spring comes and goes, as does summer. Obviously I have slipped on their priority list. Then I get the news that Rolex is demanding Daytonas be delivered in person, so with sales tax, delivered price is effectively $1,000 higher. At that point I wrote my salesperson an email expressing my disappointment and letting her know that I am considering cancelling my order and getting my deposit back.

I end up keeping the order, and she says she will go to bat for me with Rolex when the time comes. She says I have been first on list at AD since June, but shipments have pretty much dried up.

Now it’s end of October, and according to a friend here, they just got a black and white DayC in. I have not heard anything.

My question (finally!!!!):

What would you do? Do I recognize that not only am I a new customer, but I bought an expensive watch elsewhere, and just wait until they decide to give me one? Do I read the writing on the wall and realize they are just going to keep my deposit and never deliver the watch? Do I patiently await my call, and hope one eventually filters down to me? Do I confront them with the “knowledge” that they are getting DayCs in, but allocating them elsewhere?

I can certainly see their point, but think if they just aren’t interested in my business, they should be honest with me and give me my deposit back. Would you confront them, continue to wait and hope, or get your deposit back and move on? BTW, I do recognize that this is not the most pressing world issue on the docket today.
The only thing i dont understand is why anybody would pay a deposit on something that has no guarantee of ever arriving...
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:46 PM   #6
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Are you kidding?

I'd go in today, get your $6k back, no explanation needed, and walk out. Source it elsewhere.

Who are these AD's that require these deposits? I'd tell them to go play in traffic if they asked me for a deposit. Get me the watch, and i'll "deposit" money into their hand.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:49 PM   #7
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
In your shoes, I’d first ask myself....would I wear/do I still need or want a second Daytona? (Given you have the best of the best ...IMO) I’ve done something similar lately (maybe you saw the thread) consolidated to rotating 2, as you have, I believe. While the platona gets most of the wrist time, I’ve gone from SS, to WG Sub, YG Sub for the weekends or #2 in the rotation....interesting point of this is, I’ve got the WG panda daytona that I haven’t rotated in. Seems kind of pointless when I wear, what I consider “the best” daytona, most of the time.
I’m sure you see my point
Actually the one that I’ve given the most time to in spot #2, is the WG Sub. Two blues I know, but that sub blue is spectacular and quite a bit different than the Daytona blue.
But, whatever you decide... having two Daytonas to rotate...not a bad way to go either!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:53 PM   #8
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
OK. First things first. If you have knowledge about them getting D500's in...give the nice lady a call and talk with her about it. You can then go from wherever that conversation takes you.

And...I don't think it's a stretch when they tell you shipments have dried up. My AD says the same thing and I trust them implicitly. Judging from what I've read on TRF lately, it would seem this is the landscape that Rolex is trying very hard to create for buyers and AD's nowadays.

In reality, though, the rest depends on you. Do you need the 6k back now? Are you content to wait it out? You do have the Platona to keep you company, after all.

These are questions only you can answer. Good luck!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:54 PM   #9
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

My question would be why still buy a steel Daytona when you have a Platona... would just call it a day. Unless your buying to make the windfall profit of flipping it when you get it, in which case can‘t hurt to wait.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:55 PM   #10
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
The only thing i dont understand is why anybody would pay a deposit on something that has no guarantee of ever arriving...
I agree that it seems unnecessary, but they create the rules. And I felt that they would deliver the watch in a reasonable time period. And they probably would have, had I not bought the other Daytona elsewhere.
Old 24 October 2017, 11:56 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Well your friend saying they've come in is not concrete but maybe true, so I would go back in and tell her you heard this was the case and study her reaction. If you still feel like doing business with her then I'd say the deposit is only until the end of the year and then if no watch, you will want the money back. If she says you can have it tomorrow but you must buy some jewellery then you know where to post a thread!
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2017, 11:57 PM   #12
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Well your friend saying they've come in is not concrete but maybe true, so I would go back in and tell her you heard this was the case and study her reaction. If you still feel like doing business with her then I'd say the deposit is only until the end of the year and then if no watch, you will want the money back. If she says you can have it tomorrow but you must buy some jewellery then you know where to post a thread!
Hahahahahahaha!
Old 24 October 2017, 11:59 PM   #13
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I'll keep my answer simple, you already own a Platona, I'd ask for my 6K back.
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:02 AM   #14
yxc145
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD,JC, BLNR, Ex2
$6000 is a big chunk of money and nothing happened for years.
I think you should tell them that if you don't get the watch by Spring next year, you want the money back.
I am curious which dealer it is... Razny?
yxc145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:05 AM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Similar stories everywhere - just wait, the temporary feeling of getting power back (your dep back) puts you in same spot, no D500
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:07 AM   #16
MaverickMP
"TRF" Member

Tough call... You waited this long, might as well wait a bit longer, unless you REALLY need the 6k... Or you can get your money back, and buy today from grey market.. You pay a bit more but you have it on your wrist the day after the money clears.
MaverickMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:09 AM   #17
DuncanInLeeds
Banned

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Simple. Phone up and ask... "When do I get my watch? You've had my deposit for a long time and I'm still waiting. I've heard on the grapevine that you have a couple coming in and surely one of them must have my name on it!"
DuncanInLeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:09 AM   #18
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Similar stories everywhere - just wait, the temporary feeling of getting power back (your dep back) puts you in same spot, no D500
I think it's partially my desire to tie up loose ends, combined with being Daytona-less for the last week due to a warrantee issue.
Old 25 October 2017, 12:13 AM   #19
77T

I’d do what I did. Enjoy the Platona!

Oh, I kept my place on the Daytona 500 list too. But I didn’t need to pay a deposit - so go get your money back and get one from a TRF trusted seller.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:16 AM   #20
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I agree that it seems unnecessary, but they create the rules. And I felt that they would deliver the watch in a reasonable time period. And they probably would have, had I not bought the other Daytona elsewhere.
I agree but remember theyve got to supply all their families and friends with one first before youll even get a look in....id get my depo back and just enjoy that platona as its the ultimate daytona...a little bigger and of course a ton more weighty that the ss....you may even be a little underwhelmed when it arrives
Ive just started another thread with a suggestion of a way to eliminate this nonsense
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:22 AM   #21
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

I find the attitude of some here to be fascinating. I am the customer, they are not doing me any favors. Yes, I am a bigger fish, but even if I was a smaller fish, i'm still bigger than 90% of the people on the planet that they have to find their customer base from.

I have a very regular AD. Recently let them know I was in the market for a YG blue sub, and an Explorer II. When they didn't move on them price-wise, I was sure to send them the pics of the ones I purchased elsewhere that week.

I have a rep that I am VERY good friends with, its not his fault. But the company? Screw them.

Go get your money back, let them know when they decide to be honest, and honor their commitment, you'll consider coming back to pay for it. In the meantime, you'll be scouring the planet for another.
Old 25 October 2017, 12:44 AM   #22
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I don’t understand dealers offering to ship the watch out of state. Basically, that is tax fraud. I guess it falls on the buyer but they are technically assisting since they offered this to the customer.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:45 AM   #23
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

He is not doing business with”her.” He is doing business with the AD. His salesperson could very well be going to bat for him. But if the manager, VP or whoever makes the final call says otherwise there is nothing that she can do about it. Im sure at times the AD’s salespersons get frustrated with the Daytona allocation as well.

2th_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 12:53 AM   #24
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
I find the attitude of some here to be fascinating. I am the customer, they are not doing me any favors. Yes, I am a bigger fish, but even if I was a smaller fish, i'm still bigger than 90% of the people on the planet that they have to find their customer base from.

I have a very regular AD. Recently let them know I was in the market for a YG blue sub, and an Explorer II. When they didn't move on them price-wise, I was sure to send them the pics of the ones I purchased elsewhere that week.

I have a rep that I am VERY good friends with, its not his fault. But the company? Screw them.

Go get your money back, let them know when they decide to be honest, and honor their commitment, you'll consider coming back to pay for it. In the meantime, you'll be scouring the planet for another.
Agree with this 100%... and I was born in Tampa. Go figure
traf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 01:08 AM   #25
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampashooter View Post
Yes, it is laughable that we are all begging to buy a luxury good at MSRP and they are "doing us a favor" by selling it to us. Not my favorite part of developing a real affinity for these mechanical doo-dads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2th_doc View Post
He is not doing business with”her.” He is doing business with the AD. His salesperson could very well be going to bat for him. But if the manager, VP or whoever makes the final call says otherwise there is nothing that she can do about it. Im sure at times the AD’s salespersons get frustrated with the Daytona allocation as well.
It's easy to get stuck in the middle as salesperson, and I am trying to not penalize her for something that may not be under her control. But ultimately, I have to decide with whom to do business.
Old 25 October 2017, 01:13 AM   #26
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
it's your money but asking this question in open forum really makes us all look not too good.

The ad isn't treating you with respect. Get your money back.

Call a ts

Ask forgiveness.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 01:13 AM   #27
Buck I

Watch: Submariner C
6k outlay for 14 months has already cost you more than the tax, to be kind about it.

Water under the bridge though. Kindly confront them. I'd wait for the msrp 500. Best of luck.
Buck I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 01:14 AM   #28
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

[It's easy to get stuck in the middle as salesperson, and I am trying to not penalize her for something that may not be under her control. But ultimately, I have to decide with whom to do business.[/QUOTE]

You're not penalizing her. If she goes to her bosses, and you still let them keep YOUR money, whats the risk to them?

By taking your money, and control back, it at least gives them something to think about.
Old 25 October 2017, 01:17 AM   #29
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traf View Post
Agree with this 100%... and I was born in Tampa. Go figure
LOL!

You think its a Tampa thing?

Could be!
Old 25 October 2017, 01:21 AM   #30
kcmo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mickol View Post
I'll keep my answer simple, you already own a Platona, I'd ask for my 6K back.
Agree
kcmo is offline   Reply With Quote