The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2017, 03:46 PM   #1
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
SD43 Tax Free price?

Anyone US residents recently get to check out the Tax Free prices in Europe? I'm particularly interested in the SD43. I'm planning a trip next year, may get to go via Schiphol

TIA
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 04:17 PM   #2
ADB85
"TRF" Member

I'm a resident of Dubai & Saudi Arabia, I've just recently bought the new SkyDweller and claimed the VAT back from my UK purchase which equated to about a 16% saving once fees are taken into account. There is a sticky post on the forum showing UK/EU prices that you can use to calculate the costs/savings.

The challenge maybe finding the watch you want whilst you are in the country, especially if it is a SS sports model.
ADB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 04:21 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB85 View Post
I'm a resident of Dubai & Saudi Arabia, I've just recently bought the new SkyDweller and claimed the VAT back from my UK purchase which equated to about a 16% saving once fees are taken into account. There is a sticky post on the forum showing UK/EU prices that you can use to calculate the costs/savings.

The challenge maybe finding the watch you want whilst you are in the country, especially if it is a SS sports model.
this. all europe prices include tax. Whatever the tax rate is just subtract around 4% for the global blue fee and thats the price.

So a 20% VAT would be about a 16% refund, roughly
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 04:21 PM   #4
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
But where will you find the watch?

I have many friends that visit the UK from Asia 5 times per year that want the BLNR

They can get the approx 16% net back,,,,

But where do they get the BLNR?
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 04:28 PM   #5
ADB85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEST HAM ROLEX View Post
But where will you find the watch?

I have many friends that visit the UK from Asia 5 times per year that want the BLNR

They can get the approx 16% net back,,,,

But where do they get the BLNR?
True, even if you pre-order or get on a waiting list the chances of your watch being there whilst you are in country is questionable. If I was an AD and an overseas customer ordered a watch and it came into stock several months before your visit to pick it up I certainly wouldn't want it sat in my safe and I would sell it to the next person on the list.

If you pre-pay ahead of your visit this may cause problems with customs as I believe that the transaction must take place whilst you are in the shop in that country.
ADB85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 04:41 PM   #6
amh
"TRF" Member

Must the 4% global blue fee be paid? I bought a watch at an airport once and got my discount immediately, got on the plane without further steps.
Old 26 October 2017, 04:43 PM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Must the 4% global blue fee be paid? I bought a watch at an airport once and got my discount immediately, got on the plane without further steps.
its usually VAT free eqalivant pricing so its usually the same price as buying it not at the airport and getting the VAT refund minus the fee. It should be the same AFAIK
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 06:14 PM   #8
Ewellblue
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
Anyone US residents recently get to check out the Tax Free prices in Europe? I'm particularly interested in the SD43. I'm planning a trip next year, may get to go via Schiphol

TIA

Easy way to work out the tax free price in the U.K. Is to divide the full RRP price by 1.2 (Rolex Heathrow gave me the info).
Ewellblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 10:53 PM   #9
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB85 View Post
True, even if you pre-order or get on a waiting list the chances of your watch being there whilst you are in country is questionable. If I was an AD and an overseas customer ordered a watch and it came into stock several months before your visit to pick it up I certainly wouldn't want it sat in my safe and I would sell it to the next person on the list.

If you pre-pay ahead of your visit this may cause problems with customs as I believe that the transaction must take place whilst you are in the shop in that country.
Yes that is correct
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 11:43 PM   #10
amh
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the pointer to the sticky, it's helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its usually VAT free eqalivant pricing so its usually the same price as buying it not at the airport and getting the VAT refund minus the fee. It should be the same AFAIK
I think I understand. One of these:
1. Buy outside the airport, receive full VAT reimbursement. Once back at the airport, must pay Global Blue fee
2. Buy inside the airport, receive [VAT-(some fee)] reimbursement immediately at the AD

Or, if you go to Finland, receive the entire 24% at a particular AD in Lahti:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...9&postcount=27

This thread has multiple experiences of the various approaches:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=433550
Old 27 October 2017, 02:04 AM   #11
4rnold
"TRF" Member

Good luck in finding one!!
4rnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 02:32 AM   #12
amh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rnold View Post
Good luck in finding one!!
I figure a year from now things will have cooled off.