The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 October 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
Avuong6494
"TRF" Member

Cracked Sapphire + Broken Crown = Free RSC Labor

Here's my long story:

Last month I was at my desk just wiping down my DJII and I see a huge crack at my 12 o' clock (see picture). About a week ago I had the opportunity to fly to NYC and I took my watch the the 5th avenue RSC. After examination, they quoted me for a crystal replacement ($180) and a new crown ($135). They decided to give me complimentary labor since my watch was only 2.5 years old.

https://imgur.com/a/ZNoUd

Although we went thru the whole process of validating the warranty and that I was the first owner of the watch, nothing was covered by the warranty.

So with tax, it came out to be $343. I decided to let them start working on it. A few days later I was thinking about my insurance policy I had with my watch. Today I spoke to StateFarm and made a claim for the damage. I am still in the process of this, but I am fairly confident I will get work reimbursed.

Since my DJII is being serviced, I am wearing my Cellini Date. And because now I am really paranoid with my watch, I noticed a sound similar to a ball bearing rolling around in my Cellini when I sway the watch with normal wrist movement. After work, I immediately went to the nearest AD and took a look at their Cellini to see if it had a similar sound. Thankfully they did as well, so I can safely assume that it is part of the regular movement.

Any questions?
Avuong6494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

I would not have filed an insurance claim for $343. Since that sounds like a rider on a homeowners policy, there is likely a deductible. So after the deductible what did you pay and how much higher will your premiums be?
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 08:52 PM   #3
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Cancel the claim...quick
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 09:09 PM   #4
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Cancel the claim. Even with no deductible you run the risk of being cancelled or a policy increase. I have my watches insured through a different company than my home owners and auto policies. If a claim is made why run the risk of a cancellation or modification across the board.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2017, 11:59 PM   #5
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I wouldn't expect a claim on my homeowner's insurance to be paid, quite frankly, unless it was for theft.

But hey, you're ahead since it seems (to me) that the repair costs are quite reasonable!

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:18 AM   #6
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Cancel the claim. Even with no deductible you run the risk of being cancelled or a policy increase. I have my watches insured through a different company than my home owners and auto policies. If a claim is made why run the risk of a cancellation or modification across the board.
all your insights are correct but most personal articles policies written by SF have a $0 deduct and cover repairing damage. I believe his agent would have advised against filing a HO claim for $343, I would have.
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:30 AM   #7
RonSwanson
"TRF" Member

another vote vote for cancelling claim ASAP if it's not too late. Small claims like this are not worth the long term rate implications. Heaven forbid something actually happens to a watch/your home, and you have 2 recent claims you will really feel it rate wise.
RonSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:38 AM   #8
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
At first I was pretty happy for you!

But the insurance? It's like filing a claim when I need new pads for my car
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:58 AM   #9
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I agree, cancel that claim. Use the policy when you really need it!!
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 02:18 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It isn't "Free RSC labor" when you are paying for it through insurance.
Old 1 November 2017, 03:21 AM   #11
marv_lopez12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It isn't "Free RSC labor" when you are paying for it through insurance.
Trueee
marv_lopez12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 11:06 AM   #12
Avuong6494
"TRF" Member

Soem clarification:

1) The insurance is jewelry insurance specific to my watches.

2) The check has already been cut. We will see whether or not I get rejected for a renewal next year or how much my rate goes up next year.

I'm not too worried about all of this. I take it one day at a time.
Avuong6494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 12:58 PM   #13
05carbondrz
Banned

My guess is that you will pay much more than $343 in rate increases over the next Decade or so.The Insurance companies don't lose.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2017, 02:06 PM   #14
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Cracked Sapphire + Broken Crown = Free RSC Labor

I say if you have your watch insured for damage, and it's damaged, go for it. Too many people pay for insurance and wait for That Big Catastrophic Event to put a claim in, which may or may not happen. My .02

Basically if you're not going to claim against damage, don't insure against damage and pay a lower premium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 November 2017, 02:10 PM   #15
GMTMasterII44
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Would have to agree with the posters above. The long term implications of a claim on this smallOf amount you are sure to lose long term. My buddy made the same
Mistake but his was for $550, he put through insurance and they increased his deductible and monthly payments bY something like $45, so in only 12 months at the new monthly you just spent the $550 and the 13th month you are actually now losing. Anyway, just my two pennies, not worth it.
GMTMasterII44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 08:28 PM   #16
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avuong6494 View Post
Here's my long story:

Last month I was at my desk just wiping down my DJII and I see a huge crack at my 12 o' clock (see picture). About a week ago I had the opportunity to fly to NYC and I took my watch the the 5th avenue RSC. After examination, they quoted me for a crystal replacement ($180) and a new crown ($135). They decided to give me complimentary labor since my watch was only 2.5 years old.

https://imgur.com/a/ZNoUd

Although we went thru the whole process of validating the warranty and that I was the first owner of the watch, nothing was covered by the warranty.

So with tax, it came out to be $343. I decided to let them start working on it. A few days later I was thinking about my insurance policy I had with my watch. Today I spoke to StateFarm and made a claim for the damage. I am still in the process of this, but I am fairly confident I will get work reimbursed.

Since my DJII is being serviced, I am wearing my Cellini Date. And because now I am really paranoid with my watch, I noticed a sound similar to a ball bearing rolling around in my Cellini when I sway the watch with normal wrist movement. After work, I immediately went to the nearest AD and took a look at their Cellini to see if it had a similar sound. Thankfully they did as well, so I can safely assume that it is part of the regular movement.

Any questions?
I would be interested in knowing what State Farm does. I asked my agent some years back what would happen if I ever had to make a claim on the personal articles policy and they said they would cancel the policy after payment of claim. She said the policy was really only good for theft and full loss even though it covers some very minor things.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2017, 12:43 AM   #17
j-watch
"TRF" Member

Watch: HULK, BLRO, 16523
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
I would be interested in knowing what State Farm does. I asked my agent some years back what would happen if I ever had to make a claim on the personal articles policy and they said they would cancel the policy after payment of claim. She said the policy was really only good for theft and full loss even though it covers some very minor things.
Not sure that's entirely accurate, and may depend on the insurer. I have SF and carry several personal articles policy's (6 watches, and some of my wife's jewelry). Several years ago, my wife had her diamond ring cleaned, and a small chip was uncovered in her center piece diamond. The jeweler gave us a an estimate ($16K) to turn it in, which we did. Had a check within days and my wife had the diamond replaced. They've never raised my rates, and obviously hadn't canceled me.

Good luck!

J
j-watch is offline   Reply With Quote