The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 December 2017, 11:53 PM   #1
DMM_78
"TRF" Member

A couple questions for my first purchase

Hello,
Long time lurker first time posting. First I’ve always worn descent watches several Tags and my current watch is a Longines automatic. The Longines needs a repair (IMO the watch isn’t worth putting the money into it.) I’d like to upgrade and I’m very close to buying my first Rolex and have a couple of questions.
1) An AD in my neighborhood will sell me a Black GMT II that he’s been wearing for a month for $7200. The watch came out of their new inventory and I’ll be the first owner. It’s seems like a fairly good deal but was wondering if it was a great deal?
2) I’m a pilot so my watches get banged around coming in contact with metal surfaces and I’m skeptical whether I want to spend this much money on something that will get quite a bit of wear and tear.
3) If I don’t buy a Rolex to replace my current watch I’m leaning towards a Breitling Super Ocean with a rubber strap for work. I know their nice watches but it’s not a Rolex and wondered if the watch is really worth $3500?
Thanks
DMM_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 12:04 AM   #2
tifosi
"TRF" Member

1) Sorry, I'm not up on the value
2) This is exactly what Rolex are built for. To take wear and tear.
3) See number 2, above.
Old 15 December 2017, 12:06 AM   #3
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
The GMT would be an ideal watch for your job as a pilot. Plenty other pilots on TRF with GMTC’s who manage to keep them in pristine condition. They’re very robust you know. Not sure if it’s a good deal or not, but someone else will let you know, I’m sure.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 12:09 AM   #4
MonBK
Banned

Are you not happy with a good deal or does it have to be a great deal?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 12:14 AM   #5
Thomas Towers
Banned

$7200 is a very good deal IMO and a GMT II is perfect for you as a pilot! Don't worry about it getting beat up - 904L steel will see to that! Purchased one myself last week BNIB and love it! Go for it!
Thomas Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 12:15 AM   #6
DMM_78
"TRF" Member

I guess I’m happy with a descent deal. I’ve been looking for pre-owned watches that are a little less plus with those I can beat the sales tax. However, $1500 off a basically new watch from an AD seems like a good alternative for me.
Old 15 December 2017, 12:16 AM   #7
GFONG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange / Rolex
1.The watch is wearing more than one month, it should be treated as preowned;
2. Watch likes a car, it should have wear and tear regardless of how durable it is;
3. Brand preference is subject to individual. Cannot compared the price of different brand.
GFONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 12:20 AM   #8
hothothaven
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Pam 685
I have a GMT master II and as someone who travels a lot and relies on a dependable watch, I recommend it highly. I think as a pilot you will love the jump hour function in different time zones, and the 24 hour hand with rotating bezel. The watch was made for pilots.

Regarding wear and tear, Rolexes are tough as nails, especially the professional models. There is an article out there (I think on hodinkee) that talks about the "one watch guy" and his watch was a gmt master. Good looking, practical, and tough as nails. You probably won't ever need another watch.
hothothaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 01:50 AM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I would be leery of paying 7200 for a watch that has been worn for a month...some people are absolute oafs and have no idea how to take care of a watch. So, unless it has been ultra-babied and not a scratch on it, no way.

Rolex is a very durable and robust watch...no worries on wear.

Do your homework on resale in another brands...typically it's very soft. In other words, sometimes it's better to spend 7k on something than 3k...if that makes sense.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 01:59 AM   #10
Thomas Towers
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I would be leery of paying 7200 for a watch that has been worn for a month...some people are absolute oafs and have no idea how to take care of a watch. So, unless it has been ultra-babied and not a scratch on it, no way.

Rolex is a very durable and robust watch...no worries on wear.

Do your homework on resale in another brands...typically it's very soft. In other words, sometimes it's better to spend 7k on something than 3k...if that makes sense.
This is very true re the condition comment - it would have to be mint IMO, otherwise you're better off spending the extra $1000 ish and getting brand spanking new
Thomas Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 02:12 AM   #11
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Just inspect the watch. If it's in excellent shape $7,200 seems good.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 02:53 AM   #12
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
GMT is perfect for you. If you're worried about scratches and dings on the bracelet you could get a Rubber B or Everest strap. The watch itself can handle the wear and tear.

$7200 sounds decent but keep in mind that though it's a month old and the AD has been wearing it that still makes it a used watch. Look at the trusted sellers here and see what they are asking for lightly used GMT LN's... you might find a better deal through them. I'd offer him $6600 and no sales tax and see what he says.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 03:02 AM   #13
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Nothing worse than worrying about wearing a watch it sits in your subconscious mind and ruines the whole experience .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:20 AM   #14
DMM_78
"TRF" Member

I just bought the GMT. Wanted one since high school only took 22 extra years. Super excited!
Old 15 December 2017, 05:27 AM   #15
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
AD wears a Rolex for one month, but you will sell to you as the “first owner”.

#Ridiculous.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:31 AM   #16
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
GMT is perfect for you. If you're worried about scratches and dings on the bracelet you could get a Rubber B or Everest strap. The watch itself can handle the wear and tear.

$7200 sounds decent but keep in mind that though it's a month old and the AD has been wearing it that still makes it a used watch. Look at the trusted sellers here and see what they are asking for lightly used GMT LN's... you might find a better deal through them. I'd offer him $6600 and no sales tax and see what he says.
I second this. Be gentle on the $6,600 offer, but try to get to get it around $7,000 including taxes. Assuming the watch is really 1 month old and in great conditions, that is a very good deal in my book.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:45 AM   #17
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I like the price if the watch is fantastic shape and theres no sales tax involved. Also, as you're the first owner, warranty should only start the day you take possession if thats relevant to you. Otherwise, I find the GMTc LN an outstanding and versatile piece that goes with everything everywhere all the time, that looks like a classic Rolex tool watch (some people think it's a Sub) and the functionality is extremely useful for the frequent traveller (or other internationally inclined users). Post pictures once you're done with the transaction...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:16 AM   #18
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Cant speak to the price deal , off hand it doesnt sound bad at all. To your bang around point, as it has been said, THAT is what these watches are made for. They are tough as nails. Go for the Rolex, you will not regret it.
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:44 AM   #19
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
1. Welcome to the forum! I want a GMT really bad. Wife is making me wait. But I've done some research myself and $7,200 seems reasonable to me for pre-owned, or in this case, lightly worn 2017 model. Make them an offer and see what they counter with, and at least try to get 7200 out the door vs plus tax.
2. Regarding the scratches and dings, every rolex wearer must come to terms with the fact that it's an expensive thing that's going to get scratched. But millions of people all around the world have decided that it's totally worth it, and some even find the scratches endearing as it tells their life story. Check out the official Paul Newman Daytona that sold for $17M. Tons of scratches on that thing.
3. Don't buy the breitling. I don't know anything about them, but it seems like you want a Rolex. Don't settle. Put the $3,500 down on the watch you really want and use an interest free credit card to pay for the rest if you must. Or wait another year and save another $3,500.

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 09:45 AM   #20
topjimmi
"TRF" Member

If you like the GMT I'd go for it, I think it's a decent deal. As far as wear and tear I wouldn't worry about that. Wear it as it was intended to worn and put some bumps and bruises on it. After the first couple you won't give it a second thought.
topjimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 09:57 AM   #21
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Regardless of who's wrist it worn it was still worn for a month. It really can't be considered new anymore. New is new, worn is worn. I'd ask for a better deal, perhaps $6800
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 10:00 AM   #22
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
It is used. But Negotiate and buy it.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 10:45 AM   #23
Lhn5
"TRF" Member

The only thing I don’t like about my Black GMT II is taking it off.
Lhn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 11:08 AM   #24
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM_78 View Post
I just bought the GMT. Wanted one since high school only took 22 extra years. Super excited!
Congratulations!! Good for you! Enjoy your new watch.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 12:32 PM   #25
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM_78 View Post
Massive Congratulations!!! What a great piece!! Definitely a pilots companion
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote