The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 December 2017, 02:43 AM   #1
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
UK Insurance trouble.

I picked up my White Gold GMT 116719 BLRO today to go with my White Gold Daytona 116509.

I phoned my insurer to add the BLRO, & they cancelled my cover!!

I tried AssetSure who simply cover watches, jewellery etc, they wouldn’t cover them due to the values.

As I have Private banking with NatWest, thankfully they have agreed to cover my home contents and buildings plus the watches etc for £120 per month.

The stipulation is i get written valuatuons on both watches.

Any suggestions for me to get these valuations done pleass?

My AD, Goldsmiths said they outsource now. 1st item is £60 then £50 for the next one....£110 seems too steep.

GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 03:09 AM   #2
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

I got a valuation from a local indie jeweller for £35 in January - you could go down that route?

When I used to insure my watches separately to house insurance I used TH March. Not cheap but they were good to deal with.

This year I switched to M&S home insurance who give me up to £50k of watches oh my cover - so I cancelled TH March.

Might be worth looking into the above? Got a nice cash back with the M&S policy plus £100 of vouchers to use in store against my food shop (wasn’t even told about them, they just turned up!)

Hope you get it sorted soon anyway - that’s a lovely pair!
haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 03:25 AM   #3
phez
"TRF" Member

Watch: PT DD40 Ice Blue
Sorry to hear your troubles.

My AD provides valuations for free on purchase. When I got my WD DD40, the price went up a month or two later and they provided a new valuation.

Hiscox Insurance cover high value items and are very reasonable and don’t require valuations.

They cover house, contents and jewellery, only need to specify items over £15k so I have my DD40 and Rose Gold Daytona C specified.
Grand Seiko GMT blue dial and blue GMT hand
phez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 03:32 AM   #4
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phez View Post
Sorry to hear your troubles.

My AD provides valuations for free on purchase. When I got my WD DD40, the price went up a month or two later and they provided a new valuation.

Hiscox Insurance cover high value items and are very reasonable and don’t require valuations.

They cover house, contents and jewellery, only need to specify items over £15k so I have my DD40 and Rose Gold Daytona C specified.
Hiscox gave me an estimate of £180 per month but then said they wouldn’t cover all my watches.
Old 15 December 2017, 03:33 AM   #5
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
I got a valuation from a local indie jeweller for £35 in January - you could go down that route?

When I used to insure my watches separately to house insurance I used TH March. Not cheap but they were good to deal with.

This year I switched to M&S home insurance who give me up to £50k of watches oh my cover - so I cancelled TH March.

Might be worth looking into the above? Got a nice cash back with the M&S policy plus £100 of vouchers to use in store against my food shop (wasn’t even told about them, they just turned up!)

My 2 Rolex are valued at a combined £56000 and I have other watches as does my wife do their cover isn’t sufficient. Thanks though.
Old 15 December 2017, 03:47 AM   #6
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
They’re both PM watches. What did you expect? Very reasonable imo.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 03:48 AM   #7
phez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
Hiscox gave me an estimate of £180 per month but then said they wouldn’t cover all my watches.

Sent you a pm
Old 15 December 2017, 03:58 AM   #8
themast
"TRF" Member

Sorry for your troubles. I don't have specific advise besides suggesting going to other reputable jewelers to see how much they charge for the appraisal.

Actually I am surprised that your AD, who presumably sold you the watch, won't provide an appraisal for free. I would push them, after all you spent a good amount of money with them...

Quote:
[/IMG]
Out of curiosity why did they cancel your policy!? I can understand that they did not want to take too much risk but why cancel the old coverage?
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 04:17 AM   #9
"TRF" Member

Hiscox required a valuation for any individual piece over £25k but they offered a refund on the policy amount to cover the cost of valuations up to (I think) about £250. In the end the dealers I bought the relevant watches from provided insurance valuations for free so didn't need it, but thought it was an interesting feature.
116680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 04:25 AM   #10
phez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 116680 View Post
Hiscox required a valuation for any individual piece over £25k but they offered a refund on the policy amount to cover the cost of valuations up to (I think) about £250. In the end the dealers I bought the relevant watches from provided insurance valuations for free so didn't need it, but thought it was an interesting feature.
Interesting. They didn’t ask for a valuation for my WG DD40 at £27650. I even offered one but they declined.
Old 15 December 2017, 04:33 AM   #11
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1
You spent how much on the watches and 110 pounds to insure them is too much?
SevenWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 04:34 AM   #12
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post

Is there no longer a £15,000 single article limit within the overall £50,000 total valuables limit?: https://bank.marksandspencer.com/pdf...icySummary.pdf
DavidUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 04:36 AM   #13
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWays View Post
You spent how much on the watches and 110 pounds to insure them is too much?
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 04:38 AM   #14
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

My £9,350 DJ41 was £230 to insure with T H March.
Old 15 December 2017, 04:57 AM   #15
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Sorry for your troubles. I don't have specific advise besides suggesting going to other reputable jewelers to see how much they charge for the appraisal.

Actually I am surprised that your AD, who presumably sold you the watch, won't provide an appraisal for free. I would push them, after all you spent a good amount of money with them...

Out of curiosity why did they cancel your policy!? I can understand that they did not want to take too much risk but why cancel the old coverage?
Because they now know I have £75000 of watches in my house I presume??
Old 15 December 2017, 05:03 AM   #16
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
My insurance company told me my watches are 'high risk' items, refused to cover them from theft when wearing as I'm 'making myself a target' so I snapped and now I'm watch insurance free. Get a floor safe.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:28 AM   #17
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because they now know I have £75000 of watches in my house I presume??
I see, that could make sense. In some way they thought your business was not worth the risk.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:38 AM   #18
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
Is there no longer a £15,000 single article limit within the overall £50,000 total valuables limit?: https://bank.marksandspencer.com/pdf...icySummary.pdf
Probably - all my watches are under that though (well, at retail anyway). It's not a clause I was aware of.

Apologies for the bad advice, OP!
haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:38 AM   #19
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

It is common practice to cancel in such circumstances.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 05:59 AM   #20
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Was it £110 for the insurance quote ? thats how i read it
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 06:00 AM   #21
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
My insurance company told me my watches are 'high risk' items, refused to cover them from theft when wearing as I'm 'making myself a target' so I snapped and now I'm watch insurance free. Get a floor safe.
my insurance was cheaper if i DID wear the watch ?
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 06:08 AM   #22
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudestew View Post
my insurance was cheaper if i DID wear the watch ?
Not for me. My response was along the lines of 'ok we'll leave them off house+contents and I'll wear them both eh.'
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 06:53 AM   #23
Jay knowles
"TRF" Member

With marks and Spencer’s as someone mentioned earlier, I think they also cover accidental damage.
Jay knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 06:55 AM   #24
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My 2 Rolex are valued at a combined £56000 and I have other watches as does my wife do their cover isn’t sufficient. Thanks though.
You are probably wealthy enough to withstand the loss ; which is unlikely to happen anyway. Just live with the small risk, especially as the loss of essentially trivial luxury goods is hardly life-threatening. So what if you didn't have a gold Rolex or two.
If you can afford to replace things, don't insure them. The probabilities are always on the side of the insurance companies, not you. Own nice watches, but don't let them own you. And I speak as someone with several high-end gold watches, among others.
In the end, it's just 'stuff.'
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:04 AM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
50K in watches and the 110 cost for the evaluations is too much?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:08 AM   #26
hulkalicious
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LVC
Quote:
I picked up my White Gold GMT 116719 BLRO today to go with my White Gold Daytona 116509.

I tried AssetSure who simply cover watches, jewellery etc, they wouldn’t cover them due to the values.

As I have Private banking with NatWest, thankfully they have agreed to cover my home contents and buildings plus the watches etc for £120 per month.

The stipulation is i get written valuatuons on both watches.

Any suggestions for me to get these valuations done pleass?

My AD, Goldsmiths said they outsource now. 1st item is £60 then £50 for the next one....£110 seems too steep.

Just add it on your home cover under valuables they dont care what its for
hulkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:10 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

http://www.jewelleryvaluers.org/Find-a-valuer

This is the london list for example: http://www.jewelleryvaluers.org/uplo...e_areas_42.pdf

My valuer charged something like £70 for the first item and an additional £30 for subsequent items. He also came to my house to do it. Had my entire collection and wife's jewelry done at the same time.

Goldsmiths/Mappin&Webb/WoS all outsource valuations to a company they are affiliated with (SafeGuard i think) and you have to ship your watch to them and it takes weeks. Their instore valuation events are few and far between so its hard to get it done that way. I would much rather get it done in the same day and not leave my house. WoS wouldn't even give me a valuation when i bought a new watch from them in their store and said i had to ship my brand new watch to their partner company to get one done. Haven't bought a watch from them since.

Also i highly doubt you paid £56k for those two watches. If you insure them for used replacement value and not new replacement value you might have an easier time insuring them. Since you didn't pay retail anyway you will also cover all your actual losses in the event they are stolen. You are trying to insure most likely for a large spread in your favor in what you paid vs what the insurance is liable for in the event of a loss. Just a thought as that is part of the issue, the overall "value" the insurance company is on the hook for.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 07:16 AM   #28
DavidUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkalicious View Post
Just add it on your home cover under valuables they dont care what its for
Wrong advice. Read your policy conditions as to overall limit for valuables, and single item limits. You are unlikely to be covered for this type/value of watch under a "cover all" clause.
Old 15 December 2017, 09:18 AM   #29
Kosgad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Expr -2 BK 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidUK View Post
My £9,350 DJ41 was £230 to insure with T H March.
Did you try Axa insurance. I took contents insurance from them which includes 25k cover for watches/ jewellery. Paid 170 for a year.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Kosgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2017, 09:30 AM   #30
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
http://www.jewelleryvaluers.org/Find-a-valuer

This is the london list for example: http://www.jewelleryvaluers.org/uplo...e_areas_42.pdf

My valuer charged something like £70 for the first item and an additional £30 for subsequent items. He also came to my house to do it. Had my entire collection and wife's jewelry done at the same time.

Goldsmiths/Mappin&Webb/WoS all outsource valuations to a company they are affiliated with (SafeGuard i think) and you have to ship your watch to them and it takes weeks. Their instore valuation events are few and far between so its hard to get it done that way. I would much rather get it done in the same day and not leave my house. WoS wouldn't even give me a valuation when i bought a new watch from them in their store and said i had to ship my brand new watch to their partner company to get one done. Haven't bought a watch from them since.

Also i highly doubt you paid £56k for those two watches. If you insure them for used replacement value and not new replacement value you might have an easier time insuring them. Since you didn't pay retail anyway you will also cover all your actual losses in the event they are stolen. You are trying to insure most likely for a large spread in your favor in what you paid vs what the insurance is liable for in the event of a loss. Just a thought as that is part of the issue, the overall "value" the insurance company is on the hook for.
You are 100% Correct but they need insuring new for old.