The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 November 2008, 10:27 AM   #1
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Icon9 How does "rude" increase Forum profits?

Maybe this is too narrow a question for most here to weigh in on. Then again, opinions are by all means welcome as well.

Given the amount of outright rude Posting that goes on not just by Joe-Average participant, but also Moderators on (other) Forums, I've got to believe it's not only "tolorated," but somehow serving on the Forums' interests.

But how?

Do they think of folks who Post as akin to Jerry Springer guests, designed to attract an audience of whomever, however - just so long as their hits and Googles and whatnots climb? To generate more revenue via banner ads?

Is that "all there is" for most of what's out there?
Old 17 November 2008, 10:39 AM   #2
HYDROMAROC
"TRF" Member

Watch: me pass...
Some people feel empowered to post what ever they choose... While living in their parents basement sitting in their underware...

Must be a lack of human interaction that makes people fell "tough" online...

Too bad the last woman some of these guys have kissed was their mom...

Just my
HYDROMAROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 10:44 AM   #3
delldeaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never kiss & tell!
Icon19 Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROMAROC View Post
Some people feel empowered to post what ever they choose... While living in their parents basement sitting in their underware...

Must be a lack of human interaction that makes people fell "tough" online...

Too bad the last woman some of these guys have kissed was their mom...

Just my
Amen.

But still: Why would a Forum owner condone this? I mean, wouldn't it ultimately reflect poorly on their image?
Old 17 November 2008, 11:19 AM   #4
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Normally find that the less than courteous posts are by arm chair Generals with a keyboard and a cup of coffee.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 02:13 PM   #5
mgm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delldeaton View Post
Amen.

But still: Why would a Forum owner condone this? I mean, wouldn't it ultimately reflect poorly on their image?
I don't understand it, Dell. Really don't. I participate of forums in large part to have an oasis in the midst of strife, a place where I and others with similar interests can come together for enjoyment, not attitude.
Old 17 November 2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
I suppose there has to be forums that cater for all walks of life otherwise the undesirables may infiltrate the decent forums. If I don't like the content of the posts then I stay clear and go somewhere that I feel is OK.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 03:35 PM   #7
sombunya

Watch: My only Rolex
I've been in many forums. Some extremely brusque, others less so.

I try to maintain the decorum that others in a specific forum do.
sombunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 08:21 PM   #8
jdc
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with average Joe, I prefer posts that are down to earth. People choose forums they are comfortable with, I like TRF, which has a nice mixture of information and humour that is conducted in the right way.
If people want to go to other forums to get something different that is their call I am not here to judge others.
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 08:23 PM   #9
C. Davidson
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT (116710)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm View Post
I don't understand it, Dell. Really don't. I participate of forums in large part to have an oasis in the midst of strife, a place where I and others with similar interests can come together for enjoyment, not attitude.
X2.
#15,634

"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out."
C. Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 08:30 PM   #10
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Nothing wrong with average Joe, I prefer posts that are down to earth. People choose forums they are comfortable with, I like TRF, which has a nice mixture of information and humour that is conducted in the right way.
If people want to go to other forums to get something different that is their call I am not here to judge others.
What about Average Jim?

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 08:33 PM   #11
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbits76 View Post
What about Average Jim?

J
Joe and Jim now there is a partnership that would make me think again about TRF
Old 17 November 2008, 08:34 PM   #12
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc View Post
Joe and Jim now there is a partnership that would make me think again about TRF
If anything we are below average.

J
Old 17 November 2008, 09:48 PM   #13
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If anything we are below average.

J
in the gutter looking at the stars
Old 17 November 2008, 09:52 PM   #14
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Just to clarify what is the definition of rude....

Rude ignorant? "Shut yer yap Jimbits, you are an ugly idiot!"

or Rude Saucy? "Hey Jimbits, you've a nice bum!"

J
Old 17 November 2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Carolina
"TRF" Member

Watch: it, Bubba!
Quote:

J

Rude:

1. discourteous or impolite, esp. in a deliberate way: a rude reply. 2. without culture, learning, or refinement: rude, illiterate peasants. 3. rough in manners or behavior; unmannerly; uncouth.

Jim, I see nothing about bums in this definition. Just sayin'!
.Member #5380
Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 10:08 PM   #16
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
Rude:

1. discourteous or impolite, esp. in a deliberate way: a rude reply. 2. without culture, learning, or refinement: rude, illiterate peasants. 3. rough in manners or behavior; unmannerly; uncouth.

Jim, I see nothing about bums in this definition. Just sayin'!
I think saucy means politely rude or impertinent....like a wolf whistle from a construction worker...or saying that somebody has a nice bum!

J
Old 17 November 2008, 10:10 PM   #17
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

I was going to make a very witty reply but you know who might accuse me of following her again........................so I wont.

Member #10
Old 17 November 2008, 10:12 PM   #18
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Hmmm...not a single poster so far who is not also a 2008 Pledge Member. Perhaps that is a symptom of a lack of incivility among posters - their willingness to support the very place they post!
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 10:14 PM   #19
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
Hmmm...not a single poster so far who is not also a 2008 Pledge Member. Perhaps that is a symptom of a lack of incivility among posters - their willingness to support the very place they post!
You should look closer.

Member #10
Old 17 November 2008, 10:15 PM   #20
Carolina
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
I was going to make a very witty reply but you know who might accuse me of following her again........................so I wont.

No worries, Adrian. I always love a good chuckle, and it's always fun to use the word "bum" in a sentence. Just ask my 6 yr old!
.Member #5380
Old 17 November 2008, 10:16 PM   #21
Carolina
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think saucy means politely rude or impertinent....like a wolf whistle from a construction worker...or saying that somebody has a nice bum!

J
And of course, you're correct. I just enjoy giving you a difficult time!
.Member #5380
Old 17 November 2008, 10:32 PM   #22
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina View Post
it's always fun to use the word "bum" in a sentence. Just ask my 6 yr old!
Funny you should mention that, Caroline. I've always figured that offensive members of a forum are the sort that never grew out of the infantile thrill of typing rude things and seeing them come up on screen. That such words could go past their own computers and onto thousands of other computers through the Internet must have been a godsend for them.

The Internet, with forums and blogs in particular, is the ultimate in vanity press. It gives any armchair Rambo the medium through which they can tell everybody how they would have won Vietnam singlehandedly, or every wannabe a space in which they can present themselves as the Warren Buffet they fantasise about being.

Speaking from a couple of years of moderation experience here, I don't think it's so much a case of it being tolerated on forums as it is about mod teams not being up to the job. The amount of thought and insight that my fellow mods apply to running this forum is staggering when I think about it - what with the number of members we have on the forum these days, trying to work out a set of principles that would fairly cater to the range of the membership's wants and needs is a very tall order, and one that gets taller by the day. The amount of work that the team has put in to get to this point is well beyond reasonable, even if the mod roles were paid jobs. To be frank, I can sympathise with the mod teams that have thrown in the towel and either let things slide or enforced an excessively rigid rule structure that leaves little space for the exercise of judgement - it's just bloody hard work.

The good news is that once things get set up right, a good foundation makes things a lot easier. In the case of this forum, we have (by and large) a great foundation of members who know exactly why they turn up on the forum, and make the moderation job a lot easier by embodying the spirit of the forum and keeping things on track.
Old 17 November 2008, 10:32 PM   #23
rpryan55
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND,DD,SSDaytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle-AJ View Post
You should look closer.
You beat me to the post by a minute and a second. Of course, you could take this opportunity to make me correct.........
rpryan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 10:32 PM   #24
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Me member of 4 watches Forums, but I never feel so strong connection like in this Forum. This is my 2nd homey.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2008, 11:01 PM   #25
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpryan55 View Post
You beat me to the post by a minute and a second. Of course, you could take this opportunity to make me correct.........
I actually beat you by almost seven hours Dick but who's counting.

Member #10
Old 17 November 2008, 11:20 PM   #26
Carolina
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Funny you should mention that, Caroline. I've always figured that offensive members of a forum are the sort that never grew out of the infantile thrill of typing rude things and seeing them come up on screen. That such words could go past their own computers and onto thousands of other computers through the Internet must have been a godsend for them.

The Internet, with forums and blogs in particular, is the ultimate in vanity press. It gives any armchair Rambo the medium through which they can tell everybody how they would have won Vietnam singlehandedly, or every wannabe a space in which they can present themselves as the Warren Buffet they fantasise about being.

Speaking from a couple of years of moderation experience here, I don't think it's so much a case of it being tolerated on forums as it is about mod teams not being up to the job. The amount of thought and insight that my fellow mods apply to running this forum is staggering when I think about it - what with the number of members we have on the forum these days, trying to work out a set of principles that would fairly cater to the range of the membership's wants and needs is a very tall order, and one that gets taller by the day. The amount of work that the team has put in to get to this point is well beyond reasonable, even if the mod roles were paid jobs. To be frank, I can sympathise with the mod teams that have thrown in the towel and either let things slide or enforced an excessively rigid rule structure that leaves little space for the exercise of judgement - it's just bloody hard work.

The good news is that once things get set up right, a good foundation makes things a lot easier. In the case of this forum, we have (by and large) a great foundation of members who know exactly why they turn up on the forum, and make the moderation job a lot easier by embodying the spirit of the forum and keeping things on track.
James, nothing further to add, other than this is a very insightful post. I think a forum with the right combination of moderators and members polices itself (for the most part).
.Member #5380
Old 18 November 2008, 12:43 AM   #27
jdc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

J
in the realms of fantasy again Jimbo?
Old 18 November 2008, 01:05 AM   #28
mgm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post

Solid foundation means an easily maintained superstructure. Iffy foundation means a full-time job to keep the superstructure from toppling. As we lose governing principles, so too we lose ability to govern.

One answer to Dell's question is that a forum reflects the personality of its owner/moderators. The benefit lies in the eye of administration. If you are an ugly head honcho, you get to be the meanest pig in the pile, and therefor the control issues always fall in your favor; if such is your will, oh Screwtape.
Old 18 November 2008, 01:17 AM   #29
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I don't see any point in sparring with someone over the net. All it does is raise your BP, there's no resolution. I'm a member of about a dozen sites and have yet to be spanked by a Mod. When I see an anti police, political, or anti Masonic thread brewing, I usually step away and keep my trap shut. The ignorance people spout off has no end. I'd be better off trying to teach my Lab physics than trying to convince them they're wrong.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2008, 04:14 AM   #30
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

Not being a connoisseur of the world of forums out there I can only speak of this and the other one I used to frequent previously.

We get our share of plebs and rudeboys, no doubt about that. There is always the danger that our "elixir" is diluted by the poison of said offenders but they do tend to leave, whether it is by gentle request or out the back door into the alleyway head first.

The good thing about being a non commercial site is that we don't need to pamper to the "Jerry Springer" crowd.

Both Youtube and (surprisingly) IMDB.com are infested with vile comments. If I were a mod on either of those sites I would need a new ban button per week!