The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 6 January 2018, 02:00 PM   #1
2Redbulls
"TRF" Member

Watch: I give up..
Rubber B straps for RO...

Not sure if this is common news but Rubber B is now carrying rubber straps for the Royal Oaks. I'm not sure what to make of it...on one hand it's cool to have the extra option but on the other, the RO is all about the bracelet and since it's not water resistant the rubber strap doesn't make as much sense.

Anyone have one or plan to try one?
2Redbulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 02:08 PM   #2
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
IMHO, RO should always be on bracelet, as the bracelet is a work of art by itself. An exception being a gold RO where a strap might help to tone down the "blingness".
Old 6 January 2018, 09:56 PM   #3
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I really don't like the embossed 'fork' design on it at all, and can't see why anyone would spend out for that when you can buy a very nice proper AP strap.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 11:01 PM   #4
Xerxes77
Banned

I don’t like AP RO with strap
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2018, 11:33 PM   #5
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

And I'm over here day dreaming about the RO bracelet
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 02:54 AM   #6
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
I don’t like AP RO with strap
I do. Makes it less overt, less dressy, more sporty.
Old 7 January 2018, 04:13 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
And I'm over here day dreaming about the RO bracelet
You really have a one track mind.

The bracelet's the thing, but I suppose for a change up altho I'd go with OEM.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 05:02 AM   #8
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I really don't like the embossed 'fork' design on it at all, and can't see why anyone would spend out for that when you can buy a very nice proper AP strap.
I agree. Not crazy about that aspect of the design.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 10:10 AM   #9
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You really have a one track mind.

The bracelet's the thing, but I suppose for a change up altho I'd go with OEM.
It happens when I obsess over something that I want not sure if that's a good thing or not but it's like I'm being haunted
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 12:20 PM   #10
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
also not crazy of the fork design....
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 01:44 PM   #11
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
IMHO, RO should always be on bracelet, as the bracelet is a work of art by itself. An exception being a gold RO where a strap might help to tone down the "blingness".
+1 I have a rubber strap for my ROC and have prob had it on the watch a grand total of 7 days over the past 4 years

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2018, 03:29 PM   #12
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
I like the look of the rubberb strap however “not water resistant? Kind of defeats the purpose.
I do agree that the Rolex band is ..... well a Rolex band

Richard B
36mm datejust, Custom Explorer, Pepsi, Hulk, yellow gold dd2
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 12:17 AM   #13
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Im not sure if you're aware but it's very hard to get a RO strap. You probably have to get it from a limited edition like the Italia or similar and its is a pain to get. It's not like the Offshore that you have many options. With RO there are basically no options till RB produced these.

Quote:
alex_moreno111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 01:38 AM   #14
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_moreno111 View Post
Im not sure if you're aware but it's very hard to get a RO strap. You probably have to get it from a limited edition like the Italia or similar and its is a pain to get. It's not like the Offshore that you have many options. With RO there are basically no options till RB produced these.
I was at the NYC Boutique last month. There were maybe a dozen or more straps to choose from for my 15400, both rubber and leather. A couple years ago, they didn't make it easy, but I think AP has finally embraced that people like the variety.

I agree, AP makes it a little difficult to purchase the strap remotely, but if you have access to a boutique and you bring your watch in, the process seems pretty easy. The price on the other hand may not be such a breeze, especially for a 15400 which would require purchasing the plots and deployant clasp.

Anyhow, yes, there are plenty of options direct from AP.
Old 9 January 2018, 01:53 AM   #15
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

That's great to know. I haven't seen anything down here in Miami. Will be on the lookout. What I like about RB is that all the straps that they make are fitted to each model without having to buy extra hardware. I went on their website and the strap being sold is not for the bracelet model yet. It is only for leather strap models and the original AP buckle will fit the rubber strap. For $250? can't go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
I was at the NYC Boutique last month. There were maybe a dozen or more straps to choose from for my 15400, both rubber and leather. A couple years ago, they didn't make it easy, but I think AP has finally embraced that people like the variety.

I agree, AP makes it a little difficult to purchase the strap remotely, but if you have access to a boutique and you bring your watch in, the process seems pretty easy. The price on the other hand may not be such a breeze, especially for a 15400 which would require purchasing the plots and deployant clasp.

Anyhow, yes, there are plenty of options direct from AP.
Old 9 January 2018, 01:56 AM   #16
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Is it? I got a blue one for my RO Chrono from AP London, no problem. I assume an official AP outlet could source one.
Old 9 January 2018, 01:59 AM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it? I got a blue one for my RO Chrono from AP London, no problem. I assume an official AP outlet could source one.
yes. The catch is a lot of AD's don't even have a product book with item codes for non standard straps. They dont even know how to order some of them unless its a standard strap that comes on a model they sell. That is the issue finding them it seems, not that they are not available.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 02:00 AM   #18
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Like Chadridv said above, If you have access to an AP boutique you probably have a better chance to get your hands on one. Before you just had to dig through limited editions like RO Italia and Doha and try to get them that way.

Quote:
Old 9 January 2018, 02:01 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Like Chadridv said above, If you have access to an AP boutique you probably have a better chance to get your hands on one. Before you just had to dig through limited editions like RO Italia and Doha and try to get them that way.
or access to a phone APSC will sell them
Old 9 January 2018, 02:02 AM   #20
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
yes. The catch is a lot of AD's don't even have a product book with item codes for non standard straps. They dont even know how to order some of them unless its a standard strap that comes on a model they sell. That is the issue finding them it seems, not that they are not available.
Old 9 January 2018, 03:19 AM   #21
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
or access to a phone APSC will sell them
Exactly, its not that difficult, nor is it rocket science - although may require a degree of effort, admittedly...
Old 9 January 2018, 03:46 AM   #22
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Exactly, its not that difficult, nor is it rocket science - although may require a degree of effort, admittedly...
I agree with this. Not that difficult, however the remote process to order a strap from AP, makes the process of ordering from RB seem like a breeze.

When I ordered a strap for my old ROO, they made me take pictures of the watch, front and back, photo copy the warranty pages of the booklet, fill out authorization forms for the purchase, send them everything... and then finally they would order and ship me the strap.

Not sure if the process has changed, but yeah, it was a pain in the ass.
Old 9 January 2018, 03:53 AM   #23
alex_moreno111
"TRF" Member

Did they require the same when you visited the Boutique?

Quote:
I agree with this. Not that difficult, however the remote process to order a strap from AP, makes the process of ordering from RB seem like a breeze.

When I ordered a strap for my old ROO, they made me take pictures of the watch, front and back, photo copy the warranty pages of the booklet, fill out authorization forms for the purchase, send them everything... and then finally they would order and ship me the strap.

Old 9 January 2018, 03:58 AM   #24
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I certainly agree that ordering from RB would be much easier (and quicker).

As for needing pics of your watch etc, plus proof of its existence, that seems mad. I didn't have to do this, but then again I got my ROC from the very same APSC that ordered the strap. I accept that AP don't always make things easy.

I should also say they didn't physically have the strap in stock, it took about three weeks to come in, which isn't ideal. But my overall point is they do exist and can be obtained, albeit with time effort!
Old 9 January 2018, 04:38 AM   #25
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Did they require the same when you visited the Boutique?
no because I was in the boutique with my watch, but I also did not end up purchasing a strap. So i can't tell you in detail how the process would have gone down. They also did not have every option in stock, but the implication was that I could order one easily, or buy one in stock easily as well.

I can tell you though, that I purchased a 1.5 link for my 15400 about a year ago and it was a relatively smooth process. That was an in Boutique purchase. They did require that I register my watch before buying any parts, but they did most of the leg work while I looked around.
Old 9 January 2018, 04:41 AM   #26
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I certainly agree that ordering from RB would be much easier (and quicker).

As for needing pics of your watch etc, plus proof of its existence, that seems mad. I didn't have to do this, but then again I got my ROC from the very same APSC that ordered the strap. I accept that AP don't always make things easy.

I should also say they didn't physically have the strap in stock, it took about three weeks to come in, which isn't ideal. But my overall point is they do exist and can be obtained, albeit with time effort!
Yes, and IMO it's probably worth the time and effort. I have nothing against rubber b, but in this case I just don't care much for that cross fork design on the strap.
Old 9 January 2018, 04:43 AM   #27
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

im kind of glad they appear to be doing this as it limits parts on the grey market if you actually have to be an owner to buy something. At least they sell them to you if you want to customize your watch. Rolex, it will never happen. Its how they originally sold it and be happy with that, or nothing.
Old 9 January 2018, 04:51 AM   #28
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
im kind of glad they appear to be doing this as it limits parts on the grey market if you actually have to be an owner to buy something. At least they sell them to you if you want to customize your watch. Rolex, it will never happen. Its how they originally sold it and be happy with that, or nothing.
Don't get me started on Rolex. In order to order a grand link for my DD40, they had to see the watch in person and install the link. That meant I either had to ship my brand new $26k+ watch in the mail to RSC, or spend the day traveling into NYC just so they could look at the watch and install the link.

I told them over the phone, I can send them photo copies of the warranty card, pictures of the watch and matching serial number, my license, but they said no. Had to drive into Manhattan just so they could sell me a $700 piece of gold.
Old 9 January 2018, 04:57 AM   #29
Leeq
"TRF" Member

The RB strap is for leather models only.

QUOTE=2Redbulls;8164671]Not sure if this is common news but Rubber B is now carrying rubber straps for the Royal Oaks. I'm not sure what to make of it...on one hand it's cool to have the extra option but on the other, the RO is all about the bracelet and since it's not water resistant the rubber strap doesn't make as much sense.

Anyone have one or plan to try one?[/QUOTE]
Leeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2018, 04:59 AM   #30
Leeq
"TRF" Member

I felt the same way, gave the RB strap a try and became a fan. Less scratches on my bracelet is a plus too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Leeq is offline   Reply With Quote