The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 28 January 2018, 08:23 AM   #1
Lexo1975
"TRF" Member

I'd really appreciate your advice

I'm looking to buy my first rolex

I'm want to go classic

But I need your expert advice because I can't afford to get stung

Does this look legit and is the price fair?

https://www.allvintagewatches.com/vi...recision-1972/

Thank you
Lexo1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 08:58 AM   #2
William.L.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 & 16013
I think the price is about 400 too high. For another 500 you can get into a decent acrylic quickset Datejust. I just sold a two tone DJ for $3000 and get them into the store I work at all the time. Unless you’re set on that exact model I’d save a few more and buy from a trusted seller.
Tudor GMT
Serti GMT
William.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 09:02 AM   #3
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

For a 72, im suspicious of the dial. It should say T SWISS T and not T SWISS MADE T. It makes me think that it is a much later replacement of a fake dial. Also, it looks like someone polished the crystal and the magnifier is wonky from the polishing. Not a big deal because the crystal can be replaced at a minimal fee.
The price is not great but about the top end of its worth.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:32 AM   #4
Lexo1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
For a 72, im suspicious of the dial. It should say T SWISS T and not T SWISS MADE T. It makes me think that it is a much later replacement of a fake dial. Also, it looks like someone polished the crystal and the magnifier is wonky from the polishing. Not a big deal because the crystal can be replaced at a minimal fee.
The price is not great but about the top end of its worth.
Thanks I did a little research on T SWISS MADE T and it seems possibly legit. Like here:
https://www.craftandtailored.com/pro...ision-ref-6694
Old 28 January 2018, 09:35 AM   #5
Lexo1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William.L. View Post
I think the price is about 400 too high. For another 500 you can get into a decent acrylic quickset Datejust. I just sold a two tone DJ for $3000 and get them into the store I work at all the time. Unless you’re set on that exact model I’d save a few more and buy from a trusted seller.
I do like this model in particular - thank you for your help - If you could point me in the direction of a better priced similar version that woud be great
Old 28 January 2018, 09:35 AM   #6
offrdmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexo1975 View Post
Thanks I did a little research on T SWISS MADE T and it seems possibly legit. Like here:
The link you posted says SWISS only which is correct. The watch you posted says SWISS MADE which is not correct for a 1972 unless it is a much later service dial or is fake.
Old 28 January 2018, 09:44 AM   #7
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Where exactly does this link show T SWISS MADE T
??

Something strange with that dial. Movement & case are genuine but dial looks a rework?

A
Old 28 January 2018, 09:51 AM   #8
Lexo1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Where exactly does this link show T SWISS MADE T
??

Something strange with that dial. Movement & case are genuine but dial looks a rework?

A
in the description it says "This silver dial on this 1974 Ref.6694 Oysterdate classic and downright cool. The original T Swiss Made T dial shows depth and the vintage stick markers are classic and timeless Rolex"

Having said that it doesn't actually say T Swiss Made T on the image
Old 28 January 2018, 09:53 AM   #9
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
in the description it says "This silver dial on this 1974 Ref.6694 Oysterdate classic and downright cool. The original T Swiss Made T dial shows depth and the vintage stick markers are classic and timeless Rolex"

Having said that it doesn't actually say T Swiss Made T on the image
Ah, I looked at images.

Not sure I have seen " T SWISS MADE T"
Old 28 January 2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Lexo1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The link you posted says SWISS only which is correct. The watch you posted says SWISS MADE which is not correct for a 1972 unless it is a much later service dial or is fake.
Thank you. In the description in the link it says "This silver dial on this 1974 Ref.6694 Oysterdate classic and downright cool. The original T Swiss Made T dial shows depth and the vintage stick markers are classic and timeless Rolex"

Having said that it doesn't actually say T Swiss Made T on the image - which is a bit strange as obviously youd expect the images to match the description.

The description of the watch im interested in says "original dial" so I'm going to email the seller and ask for an explanation/clarification.

Thanks again

If anyone else knows of a "T Swiss Made T" dial on a 70's 6694 please let me know
Old 28 January 2018, 10:40 AM   #11
offrdmania

I'd really appreciate your advice

Quote:
Thank you. In the description in the link it says "This silver dial on this 1974 Ref.6694 Oysterdate classic and downright cool. The original T Swiss Made T dial shows depth and the vintage stick markers are classic and timeless Rolex"

Having said that it doesn't actually say T Swiss Made T on the image - which is a bit strange as obviously youd expect the images to match the description.

The description of the watch im interested in says "original dial" so I'm going to email the seller and ask for an explanation/clarification.

Thanks again

If anyone else knows of a "T Swiss Made T" dial on a 70's 6694 please let me know
I have seen it on reproduction fake dials but never on a real 6694 from the 70s. eBay is littered with these fake dials. They are usually bright colors or of a modern Rolex design which doesnt fit in the 70s and sometimes they are of the styles of the 70s.

This is the 6694 that I recently sold. It is from 1977 and is all original and correct. Notice it just says SWISS.

Old 28 January 2018, 10:45 AM   #12
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
I personally believe that watch is overpriced. As mentioned, you can save a little more and get into a newer datejust. What exactly are you looking for? Do you require all steel, steel and white gold bezel, or steel and yellow gold?
SkyKing31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2018, 07:09 PM   #13
Lexo1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have seen it on reproduction fake dials but never on a real 6694 from the 70s. eBay is littered with these fake dials. They are usually bright colors or of a modern Rolex design which doesnt fit in the 70s and sometimes they are of the styles of the 70s.

This is the 6694 that I recently sold. It is from 1977 and is all original and correct. Notice it just says SWISS.

offrdmania - Thank you. This is exactly the kind of expert advice I needed. I can't say I'm not a little disappointed as I was excited about the watch but I can see you know your stuff. The watch you sold looks great if you get another please let me know.
Old 28 January 2018, 07:10 PM   #14
Lexo1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing31 View Post
I personally believe that watch is overpriced. As mentioned, you can save a little more and get into a newer datejust. What exactly are you looking for? Do you require all steel, steel and white gold bezel, or steel and yellow gold?

I'm looking for the model in the image above - all steel. Thank you
Old 29 January 2018, 01:00 AM   #15
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
I’ll talk with a friend of mine who is excellent at locating watches. I’ll let you know if he can source one. No promises though, because the Oysterdate doesn’t seem as easy to come by as the Datejust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 29 January 2018, 07:31 AM   #16
Lexo1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyKing31 View Post
I’ll talk with a friend of mine who is excellent at locating watches. I’ll let you know if he can source one. No promises though, because the Oysterdate doesn’t seem as easy to come by as the Datejust

Thanks that sounds great. I'd certainly be keen to take a look. - Alex
Old 29 January 2018, 08:12 AM   #17
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Yes I seen t Swiss made t many times on this model usually on a gilt dial though

Old 29 January 2018, 09:02 AM   #18
Lexo1975
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowncollection View Post
Yes I seen t Swiss made t many times on this model usually on a gilt dial though

Thank you for the response. So in your experience does the watch look legit? It says original dial in the description?