The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 January 2018, 02:10 PM   #1
cwyyz
"TRF" Member

Icon3 Need help deciding between a Submariner 114060 and a Black Bay Steel 79730

Hello All,

I have been doing research in the past couple weeks to decide on my first purchase. Personally, I’m not a big fan of the iconic cyclops and I have got a relatively small wrist. That narrowed my options down to the Rolex Submariner 114060 and Tudor Heritage Black Bay Steel 79730. However, it is a difficult decision to make, and I’m hoping to get some advice/ suggestions from your expertise. I have listed some of the major differences/ concerns between the two to ease the comparison. Any input is very much appreciated!

Design

The Submariner (especially this no date model) is probably one of the most classic, versatile and timeless design on the market, full of history. The laser engraved flange ring also completes the design. It’s a Rolex!! No further explanation is required I guess.

The Black Bay seems to be a more modern/technical design which is worth mentioning, the military style really gives it a robust, aggressive and unique appearance. On a side note, as an “only watch”, the date window is very convenient but the overall casual design is not as versatile as the Sub. I have also heard the minor details are not too perfect/ aligned, but I’m not sure if that’s a frequent issue.

I know this might come down to personal preference, but a second opinion always helps to provide an all-around perspective.

Movement

Submariner: Calibre3130, 48-hour Power Reserve, -2/+2 sec/day
Black Bay: MT5612, 70-hour Power Reserve, -4/+6 sec/day

The Sub seems to have a much more accurate/premium movement but the Black Bay’s Power Reserve is almost 1 day longer. Do you think this difference is significant when it comes to a practical measure? Do you recommend to use a watch winder when it’s unworn?

Bezel

Ceramic vs. Steel. I’m wondering if someone can share their experience about the materials. Although the ceramic bezel is more scratch-resistant, is it more fragile at the same time? Is it going to crack/shatter easily? For the steel bezel, I guess scratches and dings are inevitable? But that doesn’t really concern me as much unless they appear to be super significant.

Bracelet

This is a no-brainer for me, the Glidelock system is definitely one of the x-factors and makes a world of a difference. Having said that, are the 3-hole increments good enough for day-to-day use in your experience?

Price

Submariner: Approx. $7500
Black Bay: Approx: $3500

Even though I’m not planning to flip it at all as this is going to be my first watch, but there is a big difference in the price. Considering the Black Bay costs less than half of the Sub, I’m uncertain if the overall performance differentiates that much. On the other hand, if I do decide to purchase the other one as well later on, the price increase of the Sub will definitely be much more significant than the Black Bay. What do you guys think?

Many Thanks in advance for your kind response, advice and guidance! Please also let me know if there are other important areas should be considered in the decision making process.

Cheers!
cwyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 02:35 PM   #2
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
In my opinion ... my 2 cents ...
Get the Sub now before price hikes ...
it has all the upgrades you want ...
It’s timeless as you mentioned; it’s classic, robust,
ceramic bezel, elegant, versatile, has the glidelock
and if I’m going to spend more than $2K on a watch
it better damn well keep excellent time...

Don’t get me wrong on the Tudor , it’s a fantastic
watch !!! It really comes down to your personal preference.
How much do you really want the Sub C ???
Happy hunting ...

Btw: I have a Sub c date with CYCLOPS!!!
I love it ... !!! Couldn’t have a no date watch as
an only watch without a date function...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 02:39 PM   #3
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Rolex
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 03:09 PM   #4
tommy90
"TRF" Member

Get the 114060. I fear you get the Tudor and spend 3k and wish you had the Rolex. Both great watches as others have said but the 114060 really is many steps ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tommy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

Sub
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 04:50 PM   #6
pallindrome
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Watch 42mm
Well, I can only share my experience with you and let you decide where you want to go with it.

So for me, I strongly believe in "to each, his/her own".

I got the 116610LV & was so glad with it. It became a near daily wearer until it started to get old on me. And I wanted something else.

I got the pelagos & kept the submariner instead. And now, I'm in love with the pelagos. I like having the different color bezels. And one day out of the blue, I thought well maybe I should have additional variety in life, so to break the monotony of wearing the same pelagos, I went back to the sub. My previous feelings about it growing old were no longer there. I loved the sub even more.

Conclusion? Try to get both & alternate them. Don't wear one constantly or it could grow old on you.

If you are on a tight budget, I would say choose the Tudor. Disclaimer - I did not do any research to check if the Black Bay Steel has the same movement (although I think it does) as the pelagos. If you are worried about the price increase in the submariner in future, I am also certain that you would progress in life and draw a higher salary one when that day comes. So it would definitely remain affordable. :)

My 20c worth.
pallindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 11:06 PM   #7
cwyyz
"TRF" Member

Thank you very much for your feedback! I can't help it but I keep thinking of the vulnerability of the ceramic bezel, I mean I would definitely be super careful with the timepiece..But a crack after a small hit? That sounds scary tbh, has anyone break their bezel? Appreciate the experience you share!
Old 31 January 2018, 11:25 PM   #8
exador
Banned

Double post

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=583797
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 11:44 PM   #9
Byrdguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C LV,
I've been wearing a ceramic Sub 24-7 for 7 years and haven't had any issues with the bezel nor any other part of the watch. The watch keeps great time, and other than a few minor daily wear scratches still looks great. from 2 feet away it looks new. (at least to my old eyes). You can never go wrong with a Sub.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2018, 11:49 PM   #10
dafuture
"TRF" Member

Having owned (and currently own) both Tudors and Rolex pieces, I say go with the Sub.
Old 31 January 2018, 11:53 PM   #11
cwyyz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
My apologies, just wanted more feedbacks haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdguy View Post
I've been wearing a ceramic Sub 24-7 for 7 years and haven't had any issues with the bezel nor any other part of the watch. The watch keeps great time, and other than a few minor daily wear scratches still looks great. from 2 feet away it looks new. (at least to my old eyes). You can never go wrong with a Sub.
Thanks so much! Have you ever smashed into/ collide with something hard by mistake?
Old 31 January 2018, 11:53 PM   #12
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
I can not believe this is even up for debate
Old 31 January 2018, 11:56 PM   #13
Ripcode
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
The Sub.

You'll like the Tudor but you'll wish you got the one you really wanted.
Ripcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:00 AM   #14
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have a Sub and a Tudor Black Bay. Sub first!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:04 AM   #15
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex was very clear that Rolex and Tudor would never be confused with or compete with each other. They are not the same watch or share the same heritage. If you really want a Rolex, a Tudor will not satisfy that requirement any more than a BAUME et MERCIER could.
Old 1 February 2018, 12:08 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyyz View Post
Thank you very much for your feedback! I can't help it but I keep thinking of the vulnerability of the ceramic bezel, I mean I would definitely be super careful with the timepiece..But a crack after a small hit? That sounds scary tbh, has anyone break their bezel? Appreciate the experience you share!
Very rare, hardly ever seen a case on here in many years so no worries there. Even if the insert shatters a new one is $375 so no big deal.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:19 AM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyyz View Post
You're overthinking it. WAY overthinking it.

You've overlooked the absolute most important aspect, and that's trying each one on and seeing how you like it on your wrist.

Forget the research and start hunting some watches down to try on. Who knows...you may even find something you like better.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:25 AM   #18
Wrist Watcher
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Sub 114060 easily IMO.
Wrist Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 12:25 AM   #19
Mellen
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I spent months going back and forth between a lot of different options before I finally went down to the AD to try on a 114060 (call first). The second I saw it and tried it on my wrist I knew it was the right one. I didn't like the case thickness of the Black Bay. I got my 114060 frond DSW second hand so I saved a bit of money.
Mellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 03:19 AM   #20
cwyyz
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys and you are absolutely correct there. I will go for the sub and find an omega/Tudor with date to satisfy my militaristic desire later on if it really bugs me