The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2018, 09:24 AM   #1
Deck Ape
"TRF" Member

which rolex for my first and probably only

I have been looking at a few watches from a couple of different stores one of which only had used and the other had new. the first one i tried on was a DJ 41 model 126334 with the white gold fluted bezel and diamond hour marks with the rhodium dial and jubilee bracelet. the one store gave me a book for the 2017 - 2018 season and looking through the entire book these are the ones i also liked and of course different price ranges. I am not wanting to pay more than 11K for a NIB. I will have to save my money since i don't have these kinds of funds currently. I will wear what ever watch i get for special occasions and everyday wear. Here are the ones i also like

#1 Mentioned above
#2 DJ 41 same as above but w/o diamonds
#3 DJ 41 model 126300
#4 Sub Mariner 40MM model 116610LN
#5 GMT Master 11 40MM model# 116710 BLNR like the looks of the black / blue bezel but really love the black / red bezel just not sure if i can get that bezel without going with the 116719 BLRO model and since that watch is all white gold i am sure it is well out of my price range. Thanks for the help.
Deck Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 09:30 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It would be between #3 and 4 for me. You really can't go wrong with a sub or DJ. If you go the DJ route, I would skip the diamonds and go smooth bezel and save yourself a bunch of cash.

Once you get your feet wet, then start plotting to achieve the BLRO. With the sub, DJ, and BLRO, you'll be set.

EDIT: I just realized you're asking about a 'first and probably only.' Well...I'm the wrong guy to ask.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
For me, a watch w/ the diamond markers isn't an everyday watch, so #1 is right out. (Plus I wouldn't spend that much dough for the markers.)

Then you need to decide DJ vs ceramic bezel. Ceramics work for me. If they're dressy enough for your special occasions, I would narrow down to the professional watches. If they're not, you ask yourself if DJ is hearty enough for your everyday life. (I wore a 16220 for 25 years as my only watch, so I vote yes.) After that, the decision is wholly personal. I'm an Exp II/GMT/DJ guy.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 09:33 AM   #4
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

You can't go wrong with a SubC for an everyday watch
Old 1 February 2018, 09:34 AM   #5
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Hey there Dan

I would say to try on as many of the watches that are on your list as possible, and then pick the one that you absolutely fall in love with. I think that is the best way to go.

One thing you might want to consider is your job, or how you look on a daily basis, and what activities you enjoy!

For example, if you wear a suit on a daily basis, some people would recommend a Datejust over the sub or gmt models, because some people argue that the latter models, don't "dress up" well.

If you travel a lot, maybe the GMT.

Think of things like that
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 09:44 AM   #6
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
One and only? Sub or GMT.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 09:55 AM   #7
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I'm a GMT guy. But if I were you, I'd go for the 16710 BLRO (Pepsi). Oh, wait.............. I did. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0207.jpg (282.5 KB, 844 views)
Old 1 February 2018, 10:11 AM   #8
Jayce
"TRF" Member

GMT for me, but i bet it's not gonna be your last Rollie... We must all keep rolling!

Jayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:12 AM   #9
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Submariner.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:13 AM   #10
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Submariner 116610LN for a one and only Rolex!
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:15 AM   #11
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
Understand you are buying as your one and only, but a Sub/GMT would keep their value better than a DJ41, if that is a consideration.
Old 1 February 2018, 10:34 AM   #12
Deck Ape
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothroyd View Post
Understand you are buying as your one and only, but a Sub/GMT would keep their value better than a DJ41, if that is a consideration.
actually, that was also a consideration but neglected to put that in my post
Old 1 February 2018, 10:36 AM   #13
Deck Ape
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
GMT for me, but i bet it's not gonna be your last Rollie... We must all keep rolling!

guess i will just have to wait and see
Old 1 February 2018, 10:36 AM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
It would be between #3 and 4 for me. You really can't go wrong with a sub or DJ. If you go the DJ route, I would skip the diamonds and go smooth bezel and save yourself a bunch of cash.

Once you get your feet wet, then start plotting to achieve the BLRO. With the sub, DJ, and BLRO, you'll be set.

EDIT: I just realized you're asking about a 'first and probably only.' Well...I'm the wrong guy to ask.
you crack me up
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:39 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Op, I think for a one and only, you really can’t go wrong with any of the references you’re looking at.

I tend to gravitate to the professional sport models since I dress casually 99.9% of the time. For me it’s the Submariner
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:39 AM   #16
Deck Ape
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
I'm a GMT guy. But if I were you, I'd go for the 16710 BLRO (Pepsi). Oh, wait.............. I did. :)
Is yours the all white gold model? I tried to find prices on them new but haven't had much luck I Love that blue/Red bezel! How well does the ceramic hold up? Is it pretty durable?
Old 1 February 2018, 10:41 AM   #17
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

If you want new then get the submariner. It’s a timeless piece. Next is BLNR from what you describe
Old 1 February 2018, 10:47 AM   #18
Mrcoach32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
If you want new then get the submariner. It’s a timeless piece. Next is BLNR from what you describe
I agree completely with this, unless you travel a lot. I have both and I’d choose the SubC because it’s the icon of icons, but the GMT function is stellar if you travel a lot.
Rolex 116610LN, Rolex 116710BLNR, Rolex 116610LV, Rolex 126600, Panerai PAM01320, Omega Planet Ocean 232.90.42.21.03.001, Omega Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005, Omega Seamaster 300M 2531.80.00, Tudor Pelagos LHD 25610TNL, Seiko SBDC007, Casio G-Shock GSTS130BC-1A
Mrcoach32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:50 AM   #19
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Submariner.
Old 1 February 2018, 10:50 AM   #20
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Check out the sea dweller 4K, the one previous to the 2017 with red lettering. Similar to the sub, can dress up or down, tough as hell. Lightly used on gray market under 11. And far less seen in the wild than the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 10:51 AM   #21
Deck Ape
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=schoolboy;8237066]Hey there Dan

I would say to try on as many of the watches that are on your list as possible, and then pick the one that you absolutely fall in love with. I think that is the best way to go.

One thing you might want to consider is your job, or how you look on a daily basis, and what activities you enjoy!

For example, if you wear a suit on a daily basis, some people would recommend a Datejust over the sub or gmt models, because some people argue that the latter models, don't "dress up" well.

I wear jeans on a daily basis to work in and there are times when i actually dress up for the special occasions ( 6-12 times a year) my activities are hunting and fishing but would love to learn how to scuba dive. Would any of these watches be fine for saltwater swimming / diving? I have put thought into them all and the SUBS/ GMT models are much cheaper than the DJ41 w/ diamonds. I do have a Omega constellation i received for 10 years of service from my employer back in 2004 that i use for the special occasions and evenings out on the town. Maybe i am talking myself into the SUBS/ GMT models after all
Old 1 February 2018, 10:54 AM   #22
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Ape View Post
Is yours the all white gold model? I tried to find prices on them new but haven't had much luck I Love that blue/Red bezel! How well does the ceramic hold up? Is it pretty durable?
That's the stainless steel Pepsi model, with aluminum bezel insert....discontinued ten years ago. The only way to buy that color combo new is the white gold version. The current SS model only comes in all black and blue/black ceramic bezels.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 11:00 AM   #23
Deck Ape
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Check out the sea dweller 4K, the one previous to the 2017 with red lettering. Similar to the sub, can dress up or down, tough as hell. Lightly used on gray market under 11. And far less seen in the wild than the sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually looked at them and they look very nice but the reason i decided against them is because of their size 43- 44mm is going to be a bit large for me. the 41 mm is at the top of my preference since i have small wrists (around 6 1/4") 5'11" and 180ish
Old 1 February 2018, 11:01 AM   #24
mtgjr
Banned

Based on the background you provided, and that this will be a first and only, everyday watch, I'd suggest you consider the 214270....Explorer I. Buy it, strap it on, and enjoy the hell out of your life. Never look at this forum again. Trust me...it's the perfect plan. With your slight 6.25" wrists, the 39mm size of the ExpI is as big as I'd recommend going, anyway.
Old 1 February 2018, 11:02 AM   #25
mtgjr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck Ape View Post
I actually looked at them and they look very nice but the reason i decided against them is because of their size 43- 44mm is going to be a bit large for me. the 41 mm is at the top of my preference since i have small wrists (around 6 1/4") 5'11" and 180ish
The one he told you to look at is 40mm.
Old 1 February 2018, 11:02 AM   #26
FriscoSalvi
"TRF" Member

DJ41, looks smooth while dressed up or dressed down
FriscoSalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2018, 11:05 AM   #27
schoolboy
Banned

[QUOTE=Deck Ape;8237281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Hey there Dan

I wear jeans on a daily basis to work in and there are times when i actually dress up for the special occasions ( 6-12 times a year) my activities are hunting and fishing but would love to learn how to scuba dive. Would any of these watches be fine for saltwater swimming / diving? I have put thought into them all and the SUBS/ GMT models are much cheaper than the DJ41 w/ diamonds. I do have a Omega constellation i received for 10 years of service from my employer back in 2004 that i use for the special occasions and evenings out on the town. Maybe i am talking myself into the SUBS/ GMT models after all
If this is the case, I would highly recommend the sub or gmt.

The sub is obviously more of a dive watch than the GMT, although I’m pretty certain that you can take the GMT swimming with no problem. I don’t know about diving with a GMT though.

However! The blue on the bezel of the GMT would look killer with jeans in my opinion.

I wear jeans a lot too, and I went for the two tone blue submariner, also known as the bluesy or 116613lb

In any case, post pics when you buy :)
Old 1 February 2018, 11:05 AM   #28
Deck Ape
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgjr View Post
That's the stainless steel Pepsi model, with aluminum bezel insert....discontinued ten years ago. The only way to buy that color combo new is the white gold version. The current SS model only comes in all black and blue/black ceramic bezels.
Thanks for the info
Old 1 February 2018, 11:09 AM   #29
schoolboy
Banned

Another thing to add is, the GMT doesn’t come with the glide lock feature that the sub bracelet has.

I love this feature and it comes in handy as it allows for quick adjustment of the bracelet without needing any tools.

I have not gone diving yet, but I have read that this glide lock feature is part of the sub bracelet so that you can quickly resize the bracelet to fit over a diving suit

Food for thought.
Old 1 February 2018, 11:18 AM   #30
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Another thing to add is, the GMT doesn’t come with the glide lock feature that the sub bracelet has.

I love this feature and it comes in handy as it allows for quick adjustment of the bracelet without needing any tools.

I have not gone diving yet, but I have read that this glide lock feature is part of the sub bracelet so that you can quickly resize the bracelet to fit over a diving suit

Food for thought.
Yea, the glidelock is a major advantage. Best bracelet/clasp in the business. IMO.