The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2018, 01:31 AM   #1
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

What is an "Old Man's" Rolex ?

Spoke to several WIS recently about collecting going forward and age milestones and both expressed the opinion that a watch collection should always be "age appropriate", that is, reflect the age of the wearer.

So what would that mean exactly, especially in Rolex terms? Does that suggest that a Day-Date or Cellini on the wrist of a 25 year old, or an Air King on a 70 year old, is "bad form"? If you are in assisted living must you be sporting a Patek and not an SKX? If you are "immature" can you then wear anything? I do see a lot of two-tone in Florida among older people, can that possibly a guide.

Question is whether you feel age should be part of the decision on what you buy, and whether your collection should necessarily be one thing at 30, 40, 50, or 60+ years of age, regardless of your exact likes.

And, is there in fact an "old man's" Rolex?
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 01:35 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

There really isn’t a “old mans Rolex”. That said, if I were to guess what the generic stereo type of what some might category this type of watch. A early 1980’s 36mm TT DJ on a Jubilee bracelet.
I don’t think you can buy a modern Rolex that has a age appropriate to it. Anything goes now.

What I have notice with being on this hobby for over 2 decades is that certain styles are attractive to those just coming into the hobby. As you get knowledgeable and years under your watch collecting belt, and perhaps more secure in your own personal style and taste, you will love the design of watches you wouldn’t consider just getting into the hobby. The SS Sub is perhaps what most new Rolex owners aspired to own when buying their first Rolex. As time goes by, a whole world of watches and styles open up and taste tend to get more adventurous.
Old 4 March 2018, 01:55 AM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
There really isn’t a “old mans Rolex”. That said, if I were to guess what the generic stereo type of what some might category this type of watch. A early 1980’s 36mm TT DJ on a Jubilee bracelet.
I don’t think you can buy a modern Rolex that has a age appropriate to it. Anything goes now.

What I have notice with being on this hobby for over 2 decades is that certain styles are attractive to those just coming into the hobby. As you get knowledgeable and years under your watch collecting belt, and perhaps more secure in your own personal style and taste, you will love the design of watches you wouldn’t consider just getting into the hobby. The SS Sub is perhaps what most new Rolex owners aspired to own when buying their first Rolex. As time goes by, a whole world of watches and styles open up and taste tend to get more adventurous.

Totally agree with this, very well-stated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 01:55 AM   #4
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
When I use the term “Old Man’s Rolex” I am usually referring to a two tone Datejust or an 80’s or 90’s Day Date. I also am using that term in a jokingly manner. I would have no issue wearing either of those watches.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 01:56 AM   #5
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

No such thing...buy what you like & will enjoy! No hardened "rules". If you like the size, opt for a 41mm Datejust for new mvmt & thinner profile (actually is 39.5 mm). Look at daily WRUW pics to see dial combos along w/bezel type & bracelet choice. Oyster bracelet w/smooth or fluted bezel in steel would be very cool for your age. Happy hunting!

JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 01:57 AM   #6
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
DJ 36 steel and gold with champagne dial on jubilee with fluted bezel.
JLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 01:57 AM   #7
Naples09
"TRF" Member

All the watches I own.
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 01:58 AM   #8
timeldn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post

Well said thank you.
timeldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 01:59 AM   #9
Gunbucker
"TRF" Member

Here in Singapore, the local term is "The Uncle Rolex", which usually is a 5-digit DateJust 36mm, jubilee bracelet, usually two-tone, and ALWAYS worn extremely loosely, literally hanging on the wrists.

Successful small business owners (usually in their 40s/50s) will go for solid gold DayDates, preferably adorned with diamonds, the blingier the better, with the same style, 36mm, loosely hanging on their wrists.
Gunbucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:00 AM   #10
MinMay
Banned

I always view "old man" watch as any of the DateJust model.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:07 AM   #11
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

A Rolex worn by an old man?

j/k.

It's de facto a TT 36mm DJ on a jubilee bracelet.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:11 AM   #12
aquatimerfla
Banned

No 'old man' model BUT most older seniors wearing Rolex are wearing a 36mm TT datejust on jubilee.

In Florida anyways!
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:12 AM   #13
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Someone wake the Never Ending Story and Word Assiciation threaders. Some youngster OP is causing trouble!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:13 AM   #14
jps3b
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619
I dunno, but love the Tosca reference. It’s my favorite opera
jps3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:19 AM   #15
run23
"TRF" Member

Yes, what everyone else said (36mm Datejust on jubilee). Now, the way trends work I’d be willing to bet money that at some point that look (not necessarily a Rolex, but the 2-tone, smaller jubilee look) will come back in style among the early 20s hip set, with the real deal Rolex version being the gold standard of course. Daniel Wellington established itself as the watch of 20-something’s with a certain modern, minimalist look, so it makes sense that some company is going to bring back the 70s/80s ‘rich white guy on the golf course’ style as a counter trend.

Anyone want to invest in my new watch company (-; ?
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:20 AM   #16
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
DJ36 is a timeless watch. Age appropriate at 30 or 70.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:21 AM   #17
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM3 View Post
DJ 36 steel and gold with champagne dial on jubilee with fluted bezel.
This.

And the "Old ladies watch" is a 26mm TT DJ with champagne dial, jubilee.

Fashions change with time. The 'big watch' trend is here to stay (until it ends.) 40mm is the new minimum size for men, 31mm for women.

Ever looked beyond Rolex? Some watches out there are HUGE!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:31 AM   #18
g-boac

I ran into a really nice older gentleman at the grocery store a couple Sundays ago. He was wearing a 1675 GMT-Master that he owned since 1967, as its original owner. He said he used to travel internationally a lot for work which is what motivated him to pick it out originally, and that it's been his go-to watch all this time "because it's a great watch".

He was also amused by the fact that somebody even noticed his watch! And overall a very nice conversation - just one more neat thing that can come out of this hobby.
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:32 AM   #19
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

whichever watch you have on wrinkly wrists is an old man's Rolex. If its on unwrinkled wrists its a young man's Rolex. Even if its the same watch.

Some watches compliment wrinkles better than others. So maybe thats the key?
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:33 AM   #20
kearez
"TRF" Member

DJ 36 from 80s/90s TT champagne dial.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:34 AM   #21
SconnieBT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 2504.52
In my opinion, anything two toned.. I was on vacation in Hawaii last week and saw an older guy, probably in his mid 70s wearing a two toned submariner with the blue dial. It was a modern watch, but two toned has just never looked good to me. Funny thing was, not 2 days later I saw a young guy (30 something) that was a little preppy and obviously very cognisant of his appearance, with the same watch. So wtf do I know.

So I've now decided that two toned is either an older guys watch, or a younger guy thats saying "look at me!"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
SconnieBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:34 AM   #22
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post
Spoke to several WIS recently about collecting going forward and age milestones and both expressed the opinion that a watch collection should always be "age appropriate", that is, reflect the age of the wearer.

Dumbest advice I ever heard... Collect what YOU like.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:37 AM   #23
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post

So what would that mean exactly, especially in Rolex terms? Does that suggest that a Day-Date or Cellini on the wrist of a 25 year old, or an Air King on a 70 year old, is "bad form"? If you are in assisted living must you be sporting a Patek and not an SKX? If you are "immature" can you then wear anything? I do see a lot of two-tone in Florida among older people, can that possibly a guide.

Question is whether you feel age should be part of the decision on what you buy, and whether your collection should necessarily be one thing at 30, 40, 50, or 60+ years of age, regardless of your exact likes.

And, is there in fact an "old man's" Rolex?
You will know when you are there.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:37 AM   #24
MrWeha
"TRF" Member

Literally any TT watch.

Extra grandpa points for: being a DJ, jubilee bracelet, champagne dial, 36mm
MrWeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:39 AM   #25
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

TT has been making a stealthy but steady comeback across several brands. It’s increasingly “cool” (“sic”)...

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:42 AM   #26
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I wonder if 30 years from now the SS sub will be the old man's watch LOL
I was a teenager in the mid 80s and remember seeing the TT DJ 36mm on the wrist of young, professional men, with business owners and wealthier folks wearing the occasional DD YG 36mm. If you ask me, that was the fashion back then, and 'those' guys are now in their mid 60s and 70s.. My dad bought an OQ TT DJ 36 mm in 1978 when he was 36, he's now 76 and wears a Sub 16610!

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:57 AM   #27
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
I think people spend way too much time worrying about age appropriateness, case diameter, and whether a particular piece is "dressy" or "sporty". Just wear what you like!

That being said I enjoy seeing watches worn/used outside of their "typical" comfort zones.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:05 AM   #28
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
tt datejust or a daydate yg.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:07 AM   #29
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Used to hear that 2 toned models were a older guys watch. Didnt apply to me because I bought my first 2 tone in my early 20's. (Always bucked the trend) I am now old and own a WG model (never thought that would happen either) that I am on a current Honeymoon with. Buy what you like to look at.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:10 AM   #30
Bagman
Banned

Watch: Rolex Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
Here in Singapore, the local term is "The Uncle Rolex", which usually is a 5-digit DateJust 36mm, jubilee bracelet, usually two-tone, and ALWAYS worn extremely loosely, literally hanging on the wrists.

Successful small business owners (usually in their 40s/50s) will go for solid gold DayDates, preferably adorned with diamonds, the blingier the better, with the same style, 36mm, loosely hanging on their wrists.

Lol. Really?

Richard B
36mm datejust, Custom Explorer, Pepsi, Hulk, yellow gold dd2
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote